The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

been listening to ornette's music lately, and the recent discussion here about his music...

so this happened...

recorded/video'd early easter sunday 2020...

the bass part was the nylon-string solid body played thru a pitch-shifting patch...close to the sound of an upright, tho i'd prefer an actual upright, which is THE bass sound, IMO.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I dig this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I dig this!
    hey, thanks mark! glad it tickled ya...

yes, ornette was part of how this piece came to be...

but also playing a part is my love for the little 'starter clarinet' gotten recently...it's big fun, sounds decent, and has the best (really, no hyperbole) mouthpiece, ligature and reed combination/design of any clarinet or sax i've ever played--the maker, Nuvo Instruments, hit a homer with that design....i'm no expert on clarinet or sax (nor even much of a reed player beyond basic enthusiastic amateur) but owned and played clarinets and soprano saxes in the '90's-early 2000's and thus got a sense of how they should feel and blow....I play irish tin whistle and that also helped the 'Dood' feel so comfortable so quickly: it's like playing a tin whistle minus that Dreadful Tin Whistle Sound.

So when the Big Stimulus Check arrives, I plan to get Nuvo's 'Clarineo'....their rethink of clarinet, three-and-a-half octaves, pitched in C...ultra-lightweight, same mouthpiece/reed/ligature as the 'Dood.' Their instruments are made of ABS plastic resin and silicon, carry a lifetime warranty and get this: for cleaning, soak 'em in a sinkful of warm soapy water, rinse, put 'em on the dishrack to dry. OH THE WONDERS OF THIS MODERN AGE OF MIRACLE SCIENCE!

you're from Albany--so i made a 12 second video--to show a 'personal treasure'--a poster that was a prop in the movie 'Ironweed'....the film and author William Kennedy's 'Albany' novels are longtime faves. When I visited a friend who lived in Albany he showed me many of the places where scenes in the film were shot, and we had dinner at the restaurant where Meryl Streep's character sang 'He's Me Pal'. Then my friend gifted me the poster!...author Kennedy's autograph is on it, faintly, in pencil.

User Info Menu

yes, very nice how this music goes with the ambience of the visual with the deer in the shots.

i like how you got that bass sound, and saying you just got an instrument and put it on is like joseph jarmin just got a bass sax or bass clarinet and took it on the banstand the next night.you can do that in sound based music

so , besides demonstrating this nice music, you broached the ornette subject , in relationship to a discusion going on somewhere .

as a person talking a lot on the speed thread, because i do love playing up tempo modal bop with players who do that, i also played a lot of free music. with some people who went on to get some recognition. i could never just dismiss it , and i have my understanding of what sound based music is and my aproach. i do prefer the afro diasporic aproach in jazz, and gravitate to that.

i think some of the earliast free music can be found in european modern music , john cage was doing his thing before ornette. coleman originaly still played time and form , but he was playing notes you didnt expect. but , he did go free and when he abandoned groove time , its entering a differant paramater. i do think avant guarde jazz has to nod to the originators like cage , they just crunched modern european innovations through the blues.

my whole thing is this, you cant take ornette style or brubeck odd times, which was the start of the huge odd time gravitaional pull you see in jazz, and put it in the same catagory as 12 bar blues and aaba form with certain harmonic parameters . its two differant sports. differant rules.

i see a lot of conflict when people try to defend one or the other as though they both are sitting at the same table. its differant rules and sports ( im not saying you are doing this at all, you are just showing some nice music) .

but sound based music can be very compelling . especialy with visuals or to modern dance . and on music terms also , it stands for itself

its all about what each individual wants to do and how they express themselves

User Info Menu

"the individual"--YES! jazz is a music of individuals....

working together in bands etc, yes, but as distinct individuals....

expressing one's specific individuality: a key part of any creative enterprise....

the opposite of 'cult', of mindless group-think, of uniformity

why hitler etc hated jazz

User Info Menu

yes , janepaints

its amazing the marxist dictatorships that banned jazz ,including castro , and sadym qubt ( spelling wrong), the inspiration for muslim brotherhood and bin laden , railed against it also , like hitler.

i think that atraction of individual expresion is what apeals to so many people and pulls them in.

and so there is the dilema of how do you get individuals together to play on the same page.

for me, when i am with top players, playing in a combo situation, and all our heads are on the same page about the parameters of what we are playing , an incredable thing happens , where i get what i call the "mirror" affect. im not worried about anyone in the group being off and i dont have to hold the time for them, they all are so good that all of a sudden im free (based on the parameters of what we are playing , going ornette in bop is against the parameter) . i feel like im looking in the mirror, its all on me , all i have to do is play .

so, for me, there has to be some agreement about what a group of individuals is playing . if a group is playing ornette / john cage sound based , open rhythm, its always painful to see someone in a group not getting it. actualy free music is one of the hardest musics to play well with people because of so many posibilities its hard to get everyone on the same page. but the idiom almost accepts that.

except "free music " now has a millin definitions

or are they playing afro diasporic groove where you hold your part in a deep groove that allows someone to solo intuitively on top , which requires a certain discipline and can lose its original meaning with too many kicks or extra bars . but that has a meaning too for people who like to arrange their expresion with the acrutements of european classical music or linear mid east to india concepts

i dig the self contained things too, like you did here. i have my self containted thing too . at least just drums perc and voice . and things i played the synths and stuff. any harmonic stuff with me playing is only going so far , but , i usualy have a killer groove underneath

User Info Menu

Yea... i like all your vids, thanks for posting... they're fun. I grew up really poor, didn't have shit, I always had the worst instruments, (and everything else), just didn't know any better. Anyway... music was like an equilizer, I could always play. Open all my doors...I'm bring up this because I dig creating with minimalist tradition... maybe not to the extent of bon's Cage references. Although the reactions are great.

(no rule are also guidelines)

User Info Menu

my preference is always playing with others....the best playing i've ever done is in bands--when in that 'zone' where one isn't thinking/worrying so much about one's own playing, but instead the senses are focused on the ALL, what everyone is playing--the totality of the sound...LISTENING to everyone else

that's the scenario where i'll suddenly realize what i'm playing and think "WTF--how the heck did i just play that phrase?--it's way better than anything i ever played before and it just flew off my fingertips like magic" etc

such moments dont happen ALL the time, but they do tend to mostly happen when "two or more are gathered together", rather than when playing alone/solo, or doing one-person-plays-all-the-parts stuff

i bore myself playing/performing solo in any context....sure, i play all time at home, but it's composing/creating/investigating harmonies/working on areas of mechanics/technique i have difficulty with--not sitting down and playing complete tunes or songs i already know.

when i make 'jane-plays-all-the-parts' videos it's mostly because nobody is available to make music with...like now with the corona virus quarantine....or it's 3am and i just cant wait to hear how a new idea might sound in a band context....etc.

oops! there IS one exception....on the keyboard, i often DO play solo....improvisations...sit down with no preconception of song or form--just play a note or chord and see where things will lead....i dont know why, but such stuff is usually not 'jazz' sounding, it tends to sound 'classical', tho it seems pretentious to call the resultant music such....indeed 'classical' is a word/concept/definition/signifier which annoys me whether applied to music, visual art, architecture or, well, ANYTHING....it just seems elitist, makes me wanna say "oh yeah? who the F says so?"....'symphonic' might be a better term, because i love the sound of massed strings, even tho i'm exploring such sounds via keyboard samples.

here's a short example of such solo stuff....sometimes i'll play like this for hours at a time...but it's not jazz...i dont know what it is:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea... i like all your vids, thanks for posting... they're fun. I grew up really poor, didn't have shit, I always had the worst instruments, (and everything else), just didn't know any better. Anyway... music was like an equilizer, I could always play. Open all my doors...I'm bring up this because I dig creating with minimalist tradition... maybe not to the extent of bon's Cage references. Although the reactions are great.

(no rule are also guidelines)
    good catch on the 'no rules IS a rule' thing....

i sometimes betray my own darn "let's totally improvise!" self when playing with others, when someone plays something which sounds SO 'not in the flow" that my evil inner bitch takes over and i'll stop and be all 'what the heck did you just play? that totally messed everything up!" etc....(and usually soon feel guity and regretful for being bossy)

Bonafide Telepathy Perfectly Manifested is a rare, rare and fragile thing....but when it DOES happen, shining in all aspects? BINGO!

about Cage: yes i've heard his music.....no, it didn't move me....if there's no PULSE, there's no life IMO....went in one ear and didnt even come out the other...seemed an intellectual 'gimmick'...IMO music isnt 'intellectual'--it exists within the realm of the senses and in service of the spiritual.

User Info Menu

bonsritmos said:

"i dig the self contained things too, like you did here. i have my self containted thing too . at least just drums perc and voice . and things i played the synths and stuff. any harmonic stuff with me playing is only going so far , but , i usualy have a killer groove underneath"

Killer Grooves ALWAYS beat any Profoundly Deep Big Idea set loose upon this weary, battered world

User Info Menu

Loved the video, janepaints, totally listenable music with a good vibe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by janepaints
    my preference is always playing with others....the best playing i've ever done is in bands--when in that 'zone' where one isn't thinking/worrying so much about one's own playing, but instead the senses are focused on the ALL, what everyone is playing--the totality of the sound...LISTENING to everyone else

that's the scenario where i'll suddenly realize what i'm playing and think "WTF--how the heck did i just play that phrase?--it's way better than anything i ever played before and it just flew off my fingertips like magic" etc

such moments dont happen ALL the time, but they do tend to mostly happen when "two or more are gathered together", rather than when playing alone/solo, or doing one-person-plays-all-the-parts stuff

i bore myself playing/performing solo in any context....sure, i play all time at home, but it's composing/creating/investigating harmonies/working on areas of mechanics/technique i have difficulty with--not sitting down and playing complete tunes or songs i already know.

when i make 'jane-plays-all-the-parts' videos it's mostly because nobody is available to make music with...like now with the corona virus quarantine....or it's 3am and i just cant wait to hear how a new idea might sound in a band context....etc.

oops! there IS one exception....on the keyboard, i often DO play solo....improvisations...sit down with no preconception of song or form--just play a note or chord and see where things will lead....i dont know why, but such stuff is usually not 'jazz' sounding, it tends to sound 'classical', tho it seems pretentious to call the resultant music such....indeed 'classical' is a word/concept/definition/signifier which annoys me whether applied to music, visual art, architecture or, well, ANYTHING....it just seems elitist, makes me wanna say "oh yeah? who the F says so?"....'symphonic' might be a better term, because i love the sound of massed strings, even tho i'm exploring such sounds via keyboard samples.

here's a short example of such solo stuff....sometimes i'll play like this for hours at a time...but it's not jazz...i dont know what it is:

What it is, is, quite lovely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Loved the video, janepaints, totally listenable music with a good vibe.
    thanks so much Rob....i've been aware of you for awhile, via your videos and posts on the delcamp classical guitar forum...i visit delcamp less often these days because playing lefty-but-righty-strung prevents my ever playing classical guitar, tho that genre--especially the south american players/composers with roots in 'folklorica'--is a favorite music.

i appreciate your individualistic approach to classical guitar--using your fingertips, not the fingernails....you're a unique musician and guitarist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    What it is, is, quite lovely.

wow, thanks!

about the casio piano: awhile ago on facebook i shared some older music--similar to this--and mentioned that i hadnt recorded anything similar lately because i'd sold my piano: my previous apartment was VERY small and the piano made it even smaller. I also mentioned that since my new apt. was larger, i planned to get another piano when finances allowed.

a few hours later i received a PM: "jane your stuff is good, an artist needs the right tool for the work at hand so pick out the piano you need and i'll pay for it, no strings attached."

i was jawdropped! i knew the fellow from old-time music, thought he was just a fiddle & banjo player...turns out he was also, lifelong, a serious pianist who played his favorite piano music--ragtime and gottschalk et al--for two hours a day, every day, for years.

talk about being a REAL 'patron of the arts'!

Alas he died a few months later. So RIP Frank Scott and god bless you wherever you are. If, somehow, some of my piano/keyboard stuff was every commercially released you KNOW i'd title the recording 'For Frank' or 'Thank You Mr. Scott' etc.

hey Citizen 74--your location? 'North Coast Of Pennsylvania? I instantly think 'Erie'....I've never been there but it's long kinda fascinated me because A City In PA Is On The Shores Of An Inland Sea!

Stuff like that gets stuck in my noggin, like those old 'believe it or not' things.

User Info Menu

We're about 55 miles south of the shore, but the lake determines our weather, all our childhood TV stations were out of Erie, and I've spent a good deal of time gigging in Pa's third-largest city, all of my doctors are in Erie or employed by Erie hospitals, so I claim rights to a north shore designation. The wine country here is amazing.

If you're ever in the area, lunch is on me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    We're about 55 miles south of the shore, but the lake determines our weather, all our childhood TV stations were out of Erie, and I've spent a good deal of time gigging in Pa's third-largest city, all of my doctors are in Erie or employed by Erie hospitals, so I claim rights to a north shore designation. The wine country here is amazing.

If you're ever in the area, lunch is on me.
    thanks for the invite!

Reminds me of friends' accounts of life in the Ithaca NY area: localized weather zones due to A Big Damn Lake

Almost all traveling I've done lifelong has been due to music, and it's all been done on roads. Touring when young in rock bands. The only foreign country I've been to is Canada. Two nights playing a club in Toronto.

Tho raised in NJ, my life has been just as much centered around Pennsylvania. Parents from the NE PA coal-fields. Relatives and musician friends in central PA. From 90-2001 i lived directly across the river from here in Bucks County PA. Even here, in rural western NJ, the local nickname for the area is 'Pennsyltucky.' It is NOT 'Sopranos Land' hereabouts. Horses, critters, farms, vineyards. Small towns. A big river.

So Pennsy fascinates me. Sometimes, usually in summer I'll just hop in the car and head west, no specific destination. Find myself in some small town I'd never heard of, and think "if I was a French tourist seeing this for the first time, I'd be like "this is SO charming, the essence of America. Gotta take some photos" etc. Then I think "I feel exactly the same as that tourist, so why bother going to France or Germany for 'travel'? This is just as new and eye-opening, way easier and a LOT less expensive."

So anyhow, I'll be at yer place tuesday at 11:30 for the grub. I'll wear my hazmat suit and a corona mask too. Besides lunch, can ya see fit to cover the turnpike fees? I'd take Rt. 80 but don't wanna blow out any more tires than necessary.