The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    We need more words to describe pairs of chords.

"Identical" has to mean "the same pitches", so the identical relationship is trivial.

"Equivalent" has to mean the pitches are not identical, but some attribute of sameness is present... but is that equivalence a relationship between the chords (formal similarity) or between the chords and the harmony of the progression (interchangeable)? If the former, what of two chords that qualify as equivalent with regard to each other, but within the context of a tune only one of them sounds right and the other is clearly wrong? If the latter, what of two chords that are nicely interchangeable within a song, but they are clearly not equivalent with respect to each other? In other words, can a chord be a sub of another chord generally, or only specifically with regard to a harmonic context?

Try playing some chords of a tune in reverse, or a song where they attempt to reverse. For example:

I69 | bIIaug | iim7 | bIIIaug | iiim7 | then reverse iiim7 | bIIIaug | iim7 | bIIaug | I69

Notice the problem with the penultimate chord bIIaug? It does not work descending, needs to be bII9b5, right? Likewise, bII9b5 does not works as the second chord ascending, needs to be bIIaug, right? What, and how much, can be said of these two chords before and after they have been placed in context?
    OK this is my basic distinction between bridging chords and cadential chords. The latter is strictly directional.

we might get both

Cm7 Dbo7 Dm7
    and
    Dm7 Dbo7 Cm7

but not
    Bbmaj7 F7 Cm7

both types can function as passing or movement chords

that Bbo7 Bo7/Baug Cm7 is directional unlike Cm7 Dbo7 Dm7 and that’s interesting, although Jobim used it backwards

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Enid Blyton was the first to create the Family of four scenario, in the Famous Five,

orig just Julian, Dick, Anne and Georgina (George) – later Augmented to include their dog Timmy.

User Info Menu

Four man band - TVTropes

Four-Man Band - TV Tropes

only sane man - V7
    the smart guy - bII7
    the Casanova - bVII7
    The Butt monkey- III7

User Info Menu

cool, .my son showed Phone Shop dark witty, comedy, set up your way London, i think you would enjoy, superb acting. channel4, it old now but brilliant,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    This post was based entirely on a dream, but now totally awake now, report nothing has changed.

Apathetic mutinous, bastards, maybe all of you should have married my wife,

User Info Menu

yes Tal brill, that guitars sounds too much, may have my hands professionally stretched, or bits sewn on, a 19" scale length, i may outTal Tal, then awaken,

oh boy Tal always swinging always melodic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    cool, .my son showed Phone Shop dark witty, comedy, set up your way London, i think you would enjoy, superb acting. channel4, it old now but brilliant,
    never checked it.... I hear good things...