The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has an email address for Ron Eschete.... I couldn't contact him through the site
    If anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it being sent.
    Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He's on Facebook. You should be able to get a message to him there.

User Info Menu

Ronnie regularly plays with bassist Luther Hughes here in So. Cal. Luther surely has Ronnie’s current contact info:

Luther Hughes Home Page

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickES345
    Ronnie regularly plays with bassist Luther Hughes here in So. Cal. Luther surely has Ronnie’s current contact info:

Luther Hughes Home Page
    Can you tell me where they are playing? Yea, Eschete used to play here in the O.C. at Steamers but once that placed closed there are few professional jazz shows here. I don't mind going to Hollywood \ L.A. for a solid act but I haven't in a few years.

Mostly I just go to shows at someone's house; Saw Howard Alden and Bruce Forman this way, but I need more!!!

Thanks

User Info Menu

I haven’t seen Ronnie (and Kendall Kay and Tom Johnson) since Steamers closed down - used to see them every week for several years there! I copied lots of licks and chord melody arrangements from Ron during that time - great stuff.

I do know that Ron still plays off and on at Luther’s house - retrofitted to allow an audience of about 25 people - I think tickets are about $20. Luther will have big name players (Tom Rainier, Paul Kreibeck, etc) in trio and quartet formats - kind of like Steamers of old. Ron also backs singer Dewey Ernie from time to time at other venues.

Your best bet is to contact Luther and get on his mailing list for his in-house performances. I have a friend who produced CDs for several artists - Ron, Doug MacDonald, Luther, Mike Barone, Tom Johnson) and he may have Ron’s current contact info - I’ll check and post again if he has it.

User Info Menu

Talked to my friend and he recommended simply going to Ron’s Facebook page and making a ‘friend’ request.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickES345
    I haven’t seen Ronnie (and Kendall Kay and Tom Johnson) since Steamers closed down - used to see them every week for several years there! I copied lots of licks and chord melody arrangements from Ron during that time - great stuff.

I do know that Ron still plays off and on at Luther’s house - retrofitted to allow an audience of about 25 people - I think tickets are about $20. Luther will have big name players (Tom Rainier, Paul Kreibeck, etc) in trio and quartet formats - kind of like Steamers of old. Ron also backs singer Dewey Ernie from time to time at other venues.

Your best bet is to contact Luther and get on his mailing list for his in-house performances. I have a friend who produced CDs for several artists - Ron, Doug MacDonald, Luther, Mike Barone, Tom Johnson) and he may have Ron’s current contact info - I’ll check and post again if he has it.
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure I must have seen you at one of the Steamer gigs since I was a regular when he would do the 3rd Wednesday of each month. I have also seen Luther Hughes many, many times over the years. One gig was at the Marriott in Dana Point. He would always have a guitar player. Most of the time it was Larry Koonse (what a chord master!), but a few times when he couldn't make it Joe Diorio would play (since he lived just south of there). Seeing Diorio was a treat (but my wife found the music a little too out-there). He did play mostly jazz standards (but the melodies can be hard to "hear" for the untrained ear).

Doug MacDonald I would consider to be a friend. He was the first jazz musician I really got into, over 30 years ago when he first came from Hawaii to So Cal. Very nice man. He is in Palm Springs now and plays from time to time.

User Info Menu

Yes, we probably crossed paths at Steamers - I went there to see Ron starting in 2002, but I tapered off a bit towards the end before it closed. Doug MacDonald was a favorite of mine too - didn’t see him but maybe 3 times total - but I certainly stole licks from his ‘Organizing’ album (especially ‘It’s a Blue World’).

I actually attended a seminar of Ron’s in the late 70s given in Huntington Beach. The door to the room was open and the tape I made of seminar managed to capture the sound of seagulls outside - LOL! Attended Les Wise and Don Mock seminars in the same location and Tommy Tedesco at a Fullerton seminar. I also have a mimeographed (there’s some old technology for you!) letter from Pat Hicks announcing the opening of G.I.T. Went to the fundraiser at G.I.T in support of Joe Diorio’s medical bills and, of course, donated to Barney Kessell during his illness and eventual death.

Like you, I’ve seen a lot of out heros over the years and managed to learn a small bit from each one.