The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

Speaking of 70s session musicians, I tell you who is an absolute mf jazz guitarist, Hugh Burns who played the solo on ‘Baker Street’.

he dropped in at a friend’s music shop in Kilburn played unbelievable beast solo jazz guitar, randomly bought a telecaster on a whim and then left us about out business. He’s a local legend but that was my first contact with him haha...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also isn’t sometime Herbie colleague (on at least War of the Worlds iirc) Chris Spedding meant to be a pretty badass jazz player?

Look, you Americans might have the Wrecking Crew but we got Wombles.

User Info Menu

Today, 300bpm. Name that choon.

Some hiccups. BTW when I do this I do quite a few takes, trying to remove notes. I think it's a really good process.

Love to see some others giving it a go! Thanks to those who posted so far.

When I do this I kind of think I end sounding more traditional. As Evan Christopher points out Louis's Dinah was cut at 290bpm.... Sounds slower than say, Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

It sounds to me like the OP is describing Misirlou by Dick Dale

User Info Menu

After You've Gone

User Info Menu

Okay here's my attempt at this. Frankly I always shy away from fast tempos as I get really tense and in my head generally, therefore its something I keep putting off in the shed and on gigs. Hopefully I'll take sometime during our current predicament to devote some time to this daily.

anyways- heres my attempt- too many notes, bad time, dropped a beat I think, and just flat out uncomfortable with it lol. Sorry for the mumbling thing, Its a habit I've been trying to break. Hopefully the tune is obvious?
    (im not playing a super fast tempo here, though it's fast for me)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    After You've Gone
    yes agreed ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Tune should be obvious.
    how high ?

User Info Menu

Hi Irwin,

i reall like you're playing , nice phrasing....
    i can't get the tune tho
    damn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    how high ?
    Yes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Okay here's my attempt at this. Frankly I always shy away from fast tempos as I get really tense and in my head generally, therefore its something I keep putting off in the shed and on gigs. Hopefully I'll take sometime during our current predicament to devote some time to this daily.

anyways- heres my attempt- too many notes, bad time, dropped a beat I think, and just flat out uncomfortable with it lol. Sorry for the mumbling thing, Its a habit I've been trying to break. Hopefully the tune is obvious?
    (im not playing a super fast tempo here, though it's fast for me)
    Thanks for posting!

So the purpose of this thread is to try and get away from the chops/tempo association and try to drill down into what makes the tempo feel like the tempo, and yes getting more relaxed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Definite fail on that one lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Definite fail on that one lol
    That was a lot of notes....

User Info Menu

Indeed :-) didn’t realise till I posted it haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Indeed :-) didn’t realise till I posted it haha
    Just couldn't help yourself - could you?

User Info Menu

Right, this is a masterclass