The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I continued after the track stopped in the video I posted.
    ill check it out

EDIT: thanks for giving it a try instead of making excuses as to why it’s a waste of time. How do you think it went?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea, it's all good, but the concept of playing fewer notes on fast tempos include playing off of each other, the rhythm section basically. People's ears get tired of endless 8th notes precisely because the sonic field becomes too dense.

Now when you play solo, nothing to play off of, busy lines actually do sound good, if you must avoid the chords or chord solos of course (no idea why you would though). OTOH, keeping it sparse with no chords just the lines sound unnatural and boring. So the challenge is how more uninspired you can get. That's just my observation, sorry. Because you don't really practice something of value to your performance with a band, if thats the point.
    Excuses. give it a try.

Besides you don’t always have a drummer or rhythm on the gig of course. Anything that tightens that up is of interest to me.

one problem with long strings of 8th notes is that in my playing at least (but also in others) they can be a bit rhythmically uninteresting. Locked into the downbeat. Lots of players tend to start phrases on the beat more esp as the metronome gets north of around 280. Things can start sounding like mountain music. (Bud, Bird and Oscar do not have this problem.) How do you keep swinging?

being able to place swinging upbeat accents at those faster tempos would be helpful.

but then you have the same issue playing a half time straight feel like funk or samba, no? And if not, why not?
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-02-2020 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Actually... if we don't have to play the melody, and we can use very few notes, 240's not that difficult, is it?
    Perhaps! But you still have to evoke the changes... one or two notes per chord may be enough if you are smart about it....

have a go!

User Info Menu

Actually... if we don't have to play the melody, and we can use very few notes, 240's not that difficult, is it?

The problem's not fewer notes, it's playing it properly at speed!

User Info Menu

Not sure if I quite understand what you mean

User Info Menu

HINT: another way of putting it. Double time is obviously not the same as playing 16th notes. Confirmation middle 8 for instance is a true superimposed double time.

So you could feel something at 120;

But you feel/phrase funky Mardi Gras over it.

User Info Menu

How few is few? You're not answering it.

User Info Menu

How few is few? You're not answering it.
    I dunno. It's a fucking exercise smart arse ;-)

User Info Menu

You set the rules. Anyone can play sporadic notes over a fast track. We could all probably do it easily at 480 if we used less notes. So, at 240, how few is few? Or, put it the other way, how many is too much?

It's what you want, it's your thang, man!

User Info Menu

Anyway, you're talking to the guy who even plays slowly over slow ones :-)

User Info Menu

You set the rules. Anyone can play sporadic notes over a fast track. We could all probably do it easily at 480 if we used less notes. So, at 240, how few is few? Or, put it the other way, how many is too much?

It's what you want, it's your thang, man!
    Blimey you are so binary. Fewer notes = better, more notes = not so good. Just doing my best - but trying to hold the time and the changes together too... Not too blinking complicated to understand is it?

Look if you can listen to someone else doing this and snap your fingers on 2 and 4 and it feels good and you can recognise the song, the second two categories are basically done, right?

User Info Menu

Keep calm, keep calm, it's only an exercise. Yes, I know what you mean but I don't think 240's that much of a challenge.

Look, here's you-know-what-the-thing-is at 240. I mean, it's got to be harder than that, right?

User Info Menu

Round two

Some mistakes here... Also I do that ghosting thing which I think is a bit naff. Still too many notes lol.

User Info Menu

Keep calm, keep calm, it's only an exercise. Yes, I know what you mean but I don't think 240's that much of a challenge.

Look, here's you-know-what-the-thing-is at 240. I mean, it's got to be harder than that, right?

Now not the melody.

User Info Menu

Round two
    Okay, lovely playing. Are you sure you're not just practising at 240?

User Info Menu

Thanks! That’s at 280.

Of course practice element to this but the aim is to try and get something musical out. I’m actually trying to apply the editing process I mentioned on DBs thread.

User Info Menu

easy peasy

donna lee

User Info Menu

No melody. Sounds leisurely but I'm often using one chord for two. As you do :-)

User Info Menu

So now it's 300 and a different tune? Less notes, naturally

User Info Menu

No melody. Sounds leisurely but I'm often using one chord for two. As you do :-)

yeah so rhythmically I’d say this feels a bit more half timey and relaxed. Which is great, but what I’m trying to dig into are these little rhythmic features - especially pushes that kind of clue the brain into hearing the tempo. Like funky little rhythms.

What might be a cool thing to try might be to feel it at 120 but really aim to play funkier more 16th based rhythms. You can put a little swing into the 16ths. Also anything that locks into the clave. Either one.

User Info Menu

Well, you're shifting the goalposts a little. The tune sounds pretty laid back at 240 too because there are lots of long notes in it. You want fewer notes... but now they ought to be 16ths? At 240?

I could do that, just make little flurries... but I think I've done the exercise! I might try it just for the hell of it.

User Info Menu

Well, you're shifting the goalposts a little. The tune sounds pretty laid back at 240 too because there are lots of long notes in it. You want fewer notes... but now they ought to be 16ths? At 240?

I could do that, just make little flurries... but I think I've done the exercise! I might try it just for the hell of it.
    You do understand that 16th note rhythms does not mean continuous 16th notes? So you can syncopate in 16ths, right?
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-02-2020 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Sure, little flurries :-)

User Info Menu

Sure, little flurries :-)
    listen to this for 24 hours and get back to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    ill check it out

EDIT: thanks for giving it a try instead of making excuses as to why it’s a waste of time. How do you think it went?
    If it was studio recording I'd do another take.