The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is a good idea but what the heck. I see one quarantine challenge after another come by on FB. How about one here? Cherokee was already a test piece in the 40s ...

IMHO Cherokee is not really a hard tune if you play it in a moderate tempo. It has that reputation but ... the A section is in one key center and is straightforward (and allows for many approaches). The bridge is just a few II-V-I's after each other so with a few different key changes. I'd like the challenge to be about real improvisation and linear playing because there's more than enough (prefab) chord melody stuff here in the first place.

Here's the challenge:

• Post a vid of one single unedited take (no audio)
    • No chords, no octaves (only linear playing)
    • Leave out the head
    • Use the entire backing if you can
    • do not play transcribed solos by others, improvise

Here's the backing. It is pretty comfortable at 220 and is compulsory. It is pretty neutral and one of the less annoying backings on Youtube for this tune:

I'd appreciate it if this thread steers clear of theoretical dissertations ... Let's see what happens. Sucking is allowed.

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    ... Sucking is allowed.
    Ha! Beautiful.

User Info Menu

I'm up for it, great tune for blowing on.

By the way I've extracted the audio as an MP3 from that youtube video and attached it below, handy for recording with.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I'm up for it, great tune for blowing on.

By the way I've extracted the audio as an MP3 from that youtube video and attached it below, handy for recording with.
    Great. I knew you'd go for it. The backing is tolerable right? I hate most backings for this tune on the Tube.

DB

User Info Menu

Also, you could learn Bird's solo.

User Info Menu

Bud Powell

User Info Menu

I'm in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm in.
    I'm out....

User Info Menu

I'm in.
    I had not expected anything less from you.

DB

User Info Menu

I'm tempted to join this project... somebody has to post the clip that makes everyone say "Hey I can do better than that!"

User Info Menu

Ok, here we go. Plenty of notes I want back, and lacks direction overall...but I wanted to go into this challenge "unrehearsed" and basically cold.

So heres an okayish Cherokee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm tempted to join this project... somebody has to post the clip that makes everyone say "Hey I can do better than that!"
    Nah. Join in man.

DB

User Info Menu

Ok, here we go. Plenty of notes I want back, and lacks direction overall...but I wanted to go into this challenge "unrehearsed" and basically cold.

Thanks for participating. A brave attempt so quickly ... A big challenge is the length of the impro so maintaining the flow and find stuff to keep it interesting. That is probably the greatest challenge for all.

DB

User Info Menu

Thanks for participating. A brave attempt so quickly ... A big challenge is the length of the impro so maintaining the flow and find stuff to keep it interesting. That is probably the greatest challenge for all.

DB
    Definitely. One chorus, I'm good to go...but stretching out...something I need to spend a lot more time on.

User Info Menu

That swings and flows very nicely. Dug the hell out of it. Thanks for not shredding all over it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    That swings and flows very nicely. Dug the hell out of it. Thanks for not shredding all over it.
    Durn you Tal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Durn you Tal!

Thanks Peter. It has some moments o like...and some that make me cringe.

I feel like we've discussed this Tal version before...what is it, like 380 or something? Tal's barely hanging on...but...he IS hanging on. That's amazing in it's own right. Like, whoa.

Guitar wise, Jimmy Raney's version from "in paris" is like 320, I think...its still "musical." Raney was fucking amazing.

C'mon y'all jump in!

User Info Menu

That made my day. A lesson in jazz vocabulary!

User Info Menu

That has a kind of Charlie Christian vibe to my ears, I enjoyed it a lot.

User Info Menu

I play it every day with the Ralph Patt backing tracks at 340bpm, so 220 is a breeze.
    At 340, with multi choruses, it's a great workout after my usual 2-3 hours of technique practice. When I first tried it at that tempo, I fell flat on my face, but after a week or so of doing it every day, I can get creative on it, without repeating rote ideas.

I'd join in, but I don't have a camera on my old monitor or a video camera.
    Another great way to practice it is with the Jamey Aebersald backing tracks that has Cherokee in all twelve keys, at a blazing tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    That has a kind of Charlie Christian vibe to my ears, I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks to all of you who listened.

And a special thanks to Graham, because any comparison to the most important guitar player in history is something I take as a very high compliment.

User Info Menu

Well done, Mr.B, well done!

User Info Menu

[...] Here's the challenge:

• Post a vid of one single unedited take (no audio)
    • No chords, no octaves (only linear playing)
    • Leave out the head
    • Use the entire backing if you can
    • do not play transcribed solos by others, improvise
    Okay, I'm in the dark. No audio? You mean Mr. Beaumont's entry is invalid?

Or what audio do you want excluded? Or am I being incredibly dense here (always a strong possibility)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Okay, I'm in the dark. No audio? You mean Mr. Beaumont's entry is invalid?

Or what audio do you want excluded? Or am I being incredibly dense here (always a strong possibility)?
    I think DB means no "audio ONLY" clips--it has to be certifiably US who are doing the playing. Has to be video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That made my day. A lesson in jazz vocabulary!
    Lawson, re: vocab--keep in mind, I pronounced a bunch of stuff wrong.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the jazz is language metaphor?