The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I know how to make a decent audio clip. Will phone video/sound be good enough?

But will it be me? Is there some pro player who wants to sound like this? To quote Abraham Lincoln, "if I had two faces, would I be wearing this one?"
    The camera on any phone is better than the first 5-6 digital cameras/video cameras anybody's ever owned. Of course it's good enough! Join us!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You did great Jeff! Cold take? Even better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    Okay, I'm in the dark. No audio? You mean Mr. Beaumont's entry is invalid?

Or what audio do you want excluded? Or am I being incredibly dense here (always a strong possibility)?
    people just want to see your fingers move

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I know how to make a decent audio clip. Will phone video/sound be good enough? But will it be me? Is there some pro player who wants to sound like this? To quote Abraham Lincoln, "if I had two faces, would I be wearing this one?"
    It's video only for this challenge. You have a Youtube channel with videos so I take it a video won't be a problem.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I think DB means no "audio ONLY" clips--it has to be certifiably US who are doing the playing. Has to be video.
    Well, it's not necessarily that I won't know who is playing for I have no clue what most people here look like. The reason is simply that audio clips can be easily edited in any virtual studio and then you have guys editing out mistakes or combining difference solos which is against the spirit of jazz.

The challenge is one video take with NO editing.

DB

User Info Menu

Here's my entry. One take, no editing. Since bebop is my thing, that's the way I approach any tune.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ok, here we go. Plenty of notes I want back, and lacks direction overall...but I wanted to go into this challenge "unrehearsed" and basically cold.

So heres an okayish Cherokee

Loved it. I got it from your channel didn't know that it was a challenge here.
    I'll give a try...
    Last edited by clebergf; 04-01-2020 at 11:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lawson, re: vocab--keep in mind, I pronounced a bunch of stuff wrong.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the jazz is language metaphor?
    Actually I have issues with it too (as a philologist). I tend to think of it more like a literary style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    Here's my entry. One take, no editing. Since bebop is my thing, that's the way I approach any tune.

DB

Great stuff here...nice bop lines, blues inflections, and variations in space...

User Info Menu

I love those duos videos from Frank.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Sounding great right here, man.

User Info Menu

So... I suspect I'll not be posting here... the pitching is already too fast for me to even strike out.

I'm still working on finding the chord-tones...

User Info Menu

Someone wanted to see lots of fingers, so here you go! (one take, with 2 cameras).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So... I suspect I'll not be posting here... the pitching is already too fast for me to even strike out.

I'm still working on finding the chord-tones...
    Nah, post away. I'm not on the level of some of these guys...I post anyway.

User Info Menu

I just go straight to youtube from my phone. Never had an issue.

User Info Menu

"I have no kick against modern jazz
    Unless they try to play it too darn fast
    And change the beauty of the melody
    Until it sounds just like a symphony"

I'm struggling with 180 here .....
    I'll see you in a few months

Hey I can play the tune ok ..... Innit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I love those duos videos from Frank.

Frank's sweeeeeet comping.... totally distracted me from Martin's solo! (in a good way, that is!)

User Info Menu

Here's my shot at it. Was a bit hard to use a backing atm, (cause I'm 450kms away from home where most of my stuff was due to the happy world situation..), so I just played a bass line on a looper pedal, and some chords that come in later, matching the tempo. I hope it's not too much of a distraction..

I wish I had taken a small mixer and a couple of mics with me..

My whole approach when practicing there tunes is to try to develop a flow. I remember something Harrison Fewell had said to me, when transcribing Pat Martino solos, about what a flow Pat has, and how ideas keep coming one after the other. Then of course, over choruses, you come across your limitations, try to stretch your vocabulary, which I guess is the whole idea behind a tune workout.

There's a lot to be said about rpjazzguitars approach as well, trying to play in a more minimal and motivic way. The "play slow" thread will be interesting!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cherokee again... It's been a minute, why not! I haven't played jazz in a while, and just to play lines and no chords wow not my style, but rules are rules! Here we go, from China with love.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Cherokee again... It's been a minute, why not! I haven't played jazz in a while, and just to play lines and no chords wow not my style, but rules are rules! Here we go, from China with love.

Really like your style. Swings hard, you use accents like punctuation...I dig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I'm up for it, great tune for blowing on.

By the way I've extracted the audio as an MP3 from that youtube video and attached it below, handy for recording with.

Graham why thank you so much for that, { my M Gove defacto insincere start of any reply }

Graham i know you know how to use ireal, which is all that is, but played in ballad swing shunted up to 220bmp etc. if you want better Kwality my boy export as wav or blah

hugs from the island of France

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    That has a kind of Charlie Christian vibe to my ears, I enjoyed it a lot.

its the repeated notes, which i not normally fond of, but, . when played well like Mr B here sounds good, Barney K also did the same,

CC also did that repeated thang............................................. ...

User Info Menu

Dudes,

There is a mystery guest who wants to participate in the Cherokee challenge. He/she plays it a bit faster though at 296 bpm and alas, no video for this particular take. Be nice. He/she is a good friend ...

New but related challenge: guess the player!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7uplsin1d...anges.mp3?dl=0