The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Late to the party, but yes, I love playing free, but melodic. It's not easy, really. I haven't recorded much of it, maybe I should...its kinda like posting a page of a diary.
    Hi Jeff, I’ve no doubt you do this. I’d recommend recording. Interesting things reveal themselves. Plus it’s extra training for building immunity to red light fever.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Late to the party, but yes, I love playing free, but melodic. It's not easy, really. I haven't recorded much of it, maybe I should...its kinda like posting a page of a diary.
    Hi Jeff, I’ve no doubt you do this. I’d recommend recording. Interesting things reveal themselves. Plus it’s extra training for building immunity to red light fever.

User Info Menu

do this?
    Certainly, but one has to be careful. Anybody can play nonsense. I know the idea is to break habitual patterns but no one does it when playing a tune.

I mean by a tune something with a form. You can't just play literally any old thing unless you're going to call it 'free jazz'. So, for me anyway, it's easy to do but has very limited application. When the band starts up you need to start playing tuneful stuff again.

So the challenge really is breaking the mold - but keeping it sensible too. Unless it's extreme free jazz - and I'll probably be told even that is somewhat organised.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    Does anyone else do this??
    That's basically how I wrote The Catfish Strut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Certainly, but one has to be careful. Anybody can play nonsense. I know the idea is to break habitual patterns but no one does it when playing a tune.

I mean by a tune something with a form. You can't just play literally any old thing unless you're going to call it 'free jazz'. So, for me anyway, it's easy to do but has very limited application. When the band starts up you need to start playing tuneful stuff again.

So the challenge really is breaking the mold - but keeping it sensible too. Unless it's extreme free jazz - and I'll probably be told even that is somewhat organised.
    I feel like you’re addressing the “usefulness” or practicality of this kind of playing, which is missing the point of this entire exercise. It’s not supposed to be how one would play in the sense of form/tunes or note choices, but rather it’s about coming to connecting with musical flow by removing the intellectualism we all bring to our playing. I’m saying we oppress ourselves with our knowledge and impede the direct connection possible between ear and finger. The purpose is to train development of this connection, which will manifest positively when one turns their intellect to the controlling role (like in the gig).

It may come out sounding like nonsense and that’s entirely fine. It’s very easy to quit after a couple of minutes feeling like it’s just bullshit, but that only proves the ego (judgement) is still in control. Once you’re truly doing this you cease to even know it.

One last thought, the free jazz styles often have many rules and dogma. This is not that. This isn’t free of form or about breaking molds. It’s about developing the skill to play from the subconscious, so it’s free only if self control. Please remember too, I said this is only “part” of the daily practice. I’ve been doing it for most of the 50 years I’ve been playing. I’d skits urge folks to give it’s a real chance and see for themselves. Don’t be “careful” about this peace and best wishes, -M

User Info Menu

I though I’d throw in a trio version of Alone Together that incorporates a group approach to free playing on a standard. It’s out, it’s in, it’s in between. Hope you’ll enjoy.

User Info Menu

...the direct connection possible between ear and finger. The purpose is to train development of this connection, which will manifest positively when one turns their intellect to the controlling role (like in the gig)....
    Well said. Puts a much finer point on what I was trying to get at with 'new channels', and getting out of old habits.

I'd also like to say that your exercises do NOT sound like nonsense to me. I guess we might say that all nonsense is not created equal.

User Info Menu

years ago I wrote a teaching/learning "method" I called guitar yoga..I was into eastern spiritual approaches to life at the time..the Zen teachings touch me more than others and I still appreciate it ..

my daily practice includes a meditative time and "freeplay" ..yes the years of practice and study of harmony and melodic patterns are used but not in a systematic way..as in a song structure..the many musical sounds I have heard of the years are there to experiment with..mix and match..and I discover that my years of practice have allowed me to relax and feel confident ..I know how to play the notes..the chords..there is no need to "try" any longer..now just hear..feel..be and enjoy..the music

User Info Menu

This is something everyone should do imo. I accidentally wrote one of my better tunes like that! If I'm doing this and suddenly hear something that sounds interesting, I stop and work on it.

A nice secondary effect of "noodling" as a conscious choice, is that it positively affects my fluidity - if I have worked on something earlier, say a particular voicing, it's now in my library of sounds and moods I can audiate, even if I can't play it well - but then later on, when I'm improvising freely, an impulse might be that particular feeling, and I might play it - accidentally practicing something, I suppose

User Info Menu

Does anyone else do this??
    Short answer: No.

Longer answer: But I will begin immediately. The exercise as you've described it resonates closely with how I've approached learning many other things in life over the years. Now, I can't imagine why spending time this way with a guitar in my lap never became part of my daily practice until today. This will change going forward!

Thank you kindly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneWatt
    Short answer: No.

Longer answer: But I will begin immediately. The exercise as you've described it resonates closely with how I've approached learning many other things in life over the years. Now, I can't imagine why spending time this way with a guitar in my lap never became part of my daily practice until today. This will change going forward!

Thank you kindly.
    How did it go for you? The first few times, it can be difficult to not be self conscious.

User Info Menu

How did it go for you? The first few times, it can be difficult to not be self conscious.
    Definitely an exercise that's easier said than done. The self-conscious factor is significant. But like with meditation and other life-long practices, I'm sure it just takes a while to settle in.

I've actually enjoyed a form of vamp/chordal/rhythmic improvisation on several other instruments over the years ... just never occurred to me to do it on guitar.

Now turning another new page in my musical life based on your post. Thanks again!