Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    For the month of March we will focus on the second half of Chapter 3.

    Here, GF gives us a bunch of triad-based melodic material to work with, and introduces the challenge of the rest-stroke and reverse-rest-stroke sweep patterns. We also discover Fewell's approach for how to deal with the bread and butter building block of the jazz standard: The ii-V progression.

    Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 3 (Part II - "Three Bee's")-obama_170156-520x320-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I'm in!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Me, too. This book takes me down and it takes me up, but it's you all keeping me on track! Thank you :-)

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I'm hanging in. My mom fractured her hip recently and I've been at the hospital a lot, and trying to get her into a rehab. I hope this coming week allows more guitar time (and concentration when I have the time) than last week. But either way, I'm in.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm hanging in. My mom fractured her hip recently and I've been at the hospital a lot, and trying to get her into a rehab. I hope this coming week allows more guitar time (and concentration when I have the time) than last week. But either way, I'm in.
    Best wishes for your mom, Mark.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Nobody?

    Bueller?

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Nobody?

    Bueller?
    Hope to have some time to record and upload soon...

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    This month is looking doubtful for me, for several reasons. But the main one is that I need to go back over the material many times before moving on. I'm not convinced I know it, or have internalised it, yet. I don't want to race forwards and end up never using this stuff because I rushed the learning.

    That said, I have found that I'm using the basic patterns (although not the few alternative fingerings) from Chapter 2 in my playing, so a little of it has already stuck.

    And that said, I am looking forward to moving on when the time is right because I flicked forward in the book and there is some great stuff coming...

    Derek

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by digger
    I need to go back over the material many times before moving on. I'm not convinced I know it, or have internalised it, yet. I don't want to race forwards and end up never using this stuff because I rushed the learning.



    Derek
    That's a good approach. I have rushed through the book first time around so I couldn't take real advantage of the essential basic stuff.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Also a good exercise, is putting what has been learned so far to use on some other stuff. This month's standard in this forum's lesson section - It Could Happen To You, is a nice tune which everything up until now works quite well. I messed around with it tonight after doing some review of the previous material and was a fun diversion from simply following along in the book.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Also a good exercise, is putting what has been learned so far to use on some other stuff. This month's standard in this forum's lesson section - It Could Happen To You, is a nice tune which everything up until now works quite well. I messed around with it tonight after doing some review of the previous material and was a fun diversion from simply following along in the book.
    Putting it to use is the best one can do!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Working on page 32 wanted to share some alternative fingerings for the last two phrases... they are easier this way:
    Attached Images Attached Images Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 3 (Part II - "Three Bee's")-page-32-jpg 

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    A bit of a crazy month so not much time for foruming (forating? forumating?), but I'm definitely still working away at this stuff. I'll hopefully get a chance to post something in the next couple of days.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I'm finally over being sick. Just a cold, not the flu, but it came with a hacking cough and massive head congestion: life sucked for a week there. My wife was sick too. We ate a LOT of soup.
    Mom's in rehab after hip replacement surgery. I can't visit her due to facility not allowing any visitors, period. (Coronavirus precatution.)
    Maybe this weekend I can catch up. Hope so but no guarantees. It's been a rough month.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm finally over being sick. Just a cold, not the flu, but it came with a hacking cough and massive head congestion: life sucked for a week there. My wife was sick too. We ate a LOT of soup.
    Mom's in rehab after hip replacement surgery. I can't visit her due to facility not allowing any visitors, period. (Coronavirus precatution.)
    Maybe this weekend I can catch up. Hope so but no guarantees. It's been a rough month.
    Glad to hear you're getting better. Best wishes for your mom as well, Mark.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm finally over being sick. Just a cold, not the flu, but it came with a hacking cough and massive head congestion: life sucked for a week there. My wife was sick too. We ate a LOT of soup.
    Mom's in rehab after hip replacement surgery. I can't visit her due to facility not allowing any visitors, period. (Coronavirus precatution.)
    Maybe this weekend I can catch up. Hope so but no guarantees. It's been a rough month.
    Yikes Mark, be safe. Positive vibes sent to your mom. Scary times.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Here's a take I did tonight. I have to admit this maybe isn't the best tune for something this early in the book perhaps. It's 3/4 and a chord structure that's a little out of the ordinary....for me at least. It helped a lot to go and listen to some vocal versions of this online to assist with navigating the E/A/Ab "C" Section, and I'm still being fooled by what feels like an extra measure at the end.



  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Well done!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Hey folks, sorry for my lack of participation of late. It's been a tad nuts around here (as I'm sure it has in your part of the world) with work and the country preparing for lockdown. But the good news is that many of us should soon have a bit more practice time, if you don't already!

    I've been chipping away at this chapter, and I agree with Bahnzo that this tune is certainly a challenge. I really have no idea why GF decided that we needed a 3/4 tune this early, especially given how few standards are in 3/4. Maybe just for the sake of variety. Anyway, if people are struggling with this one, don't worry... there will be plenty of work on ii-Vs throughout the rest of the book.

    Here's a crack at 'Three Bee's'... I can't say it's my best work, and it gets meandery in spots, but it is what it is.


    How is everyone else going?

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    That sounds lovely, Jay! Well done.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    ...I've been chipping away at this chapter, and I agree with Bahnzo that this tune is certainly a challenge. I really have no idea why GF decided that we needed a 3/4 tune this early, especially given how few standards are in 3/4. Maybe just for the sake of variety. Anyway, if people are struggling with this one, don't worry... there will be plenty of work on ii-Vs throughout the rest of the book.

    Here's a crack at 'Three Bee's'... I can't say it's my best work, and it gets meandery in spots, but it is what it is.

    How is everyone else going?
    Hi Jay, Great job on 'Three Bee's'! I too have been really struggling with getting the arpeggios under my fingers and making it work in 3/4 time. My thought today was to see if I can get something posted over the weekend with just the first 16 bars. I think breaking this exercise down into manageable chunks is the way to go (for me). But on the bright side, I am convinced of the power of arpeggios and what GF is trying to teach us!

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Good work Jay! Glad to others getting to this.

    I've moved on to Ch. 4 to try and put 3 B's behind me. I really don't like that tune. That doesn't mean Ch. 3 isn't good tho. I've been playing a little with a Grant Greene tune called "Tracin' Tracey", which is a minor blues, and a lot of what we are learning is very good there.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Thanks, folks!

    Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Hi Jay, Great job on 'Three Bee's'! I too have been really struggling with getting the arpeggios under my fingers and making it work in 3/4 time. My thought today was to see if I can get something posted over the weekend with just the first 16 bars. I think breaking this exercise down into manageable chunks is the way to go (for me). But on the bright side, I am convinced of the power of arpeggios and what GF is trying to teach us!
    Hey Joe, nothing wrong with just posting 16 bars. Breaking longer forms like this down into manageable chunks is always a good thing to do. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Good work Jay! Glad to others getting to this.

    I've moved on to Ch. 4 to try and put 3 B's behind me. I really don't like that tune. That doesn't mean Ch. 3 isn't good tho. I've been playing a little with a Grant Greene tune called "Tracin' Tracey", which is a minor blues, and a lot of what we are learning is very good there.
    Hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it! Not a huge issue, as we'll be diving in depth into ii-Vs later. I'll start the Ch. 4 thread in a few days.

    I've got quite a bit of Grant Green's stuff, but that's not a tune I'm familiar with... I'll have to check it out. Green definitely knew his way around a minor blues!

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    By the way, I don't feel that any of us need to be panicked if we don't have this tune down solidly. I think it's meant to be a challenge, and a bit of a taster of what is to come. The lines in exercise 3.4 also hint at the sorts of 7-3 resolutions he'll be introducing later on.

    There is a fair bit of foreshadowing going on. I think GF likes to subtly introduce things in a way that allows our ear to do a good chunk of the work before our brain gets involved.

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I've got quite a bit of Grant Green's stuff, but that's not a tune I'm familiar with... I'll have to check it out. Green definitely knew his way around a minor blues!
    It's from the Saturday Mornin' album, and it's an unreleased track I think, so I'd guess only later releases have it included.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    I must confess I've not even looked at Three Bees yet, and probably won't for some time. I don't feel like I've come close to internalising the shapes and knowledge and application of what we've covered so far and I really want to do that before moving on. I will be keeping an active eye on the thread, but it may be a while before I post any playing... But this is in a good way rather than a bad way. It's just my learning style.

    That said, to be honest, I'm not sure it's a good learning style to be burdened with. Sometimes simply pushing on can mean that the early lessons are reinforced, and become easier, anyway. But c'est la vie. I'm not bailing out, just treading a little water :-)

    Derek

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    You should be comfortable not only with the "shapes", but really the understanding/knowledge of how and why those shapes are being used over certain progressions is really just as important IMO. I think this learning path is really interesting, but trying to rush it when you haven't internalized won't do you any good. So take your time and move on when you are ready.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

    Here's a crack at 'Three Bee's'... I can't say it's my best work, and it gets meandery in spots, but it is what it is.


    How is everyone else going?
    Very nice Jay and not meandery at all to my ears - good phrasing, too!

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by digger
    I must confess I've not even looked at Three Bees yet, and probably won't for some time. I don't feel like I've come close to internalising the shapes and knowledge and application of what we've covered so far and I really want to do that before moving on. I will be keeping an active eye on the thread, but it may be a while before I post any playing... But this is in a good way rather than a bad way. It's just my learning style.

    That said, to be honest, I'm not sure it's a good learning style to be burdened with. Sometimes simply pushing on can mean that the early lessons are reinforced, and become easier, anyway. But c'est la vie. I'm not bailing out, just treading a little water :-)

    Derek
    Voltaire would argue that perfect is the enemy of good... But that said, there's rush, Derek. Hopefully you'll keep chipping away at it and post your progress at your own pace.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    There's perfect. There's good. And there's not having a bloody clue :-)

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    I'll add my contribution. I bought this book a few years ago. It was really eye opening... up to chapter 4. For some reason I sputtered out there. But we are still on Chapter 3, so here goes nothing! :-D


  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    Well done, rlrhett... Here's to getting past Ch 4 this time around!