The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 253
    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Am I the only guy that likes HW dim over min 2-5 ?
    You give up some things with the diminished scale in over ii-7b5 V7b9 (ii V in minor). It omits a lot of the chord tones and goes out of alignment quickly. So I don't practice it as much.
    Last edited by rintincop; 02-27-2020 at 02:50 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Is there a reason why it's sensible to think C7 over a Dmin tonal center?
    Another way to think about this is Dmin7 is the same chord as FMaj6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    You give up some things with the diminished scale in over ii-7b5 V7b9 (ii V in minor). It omits a lot of the chord tones and goes out of alignment quickly. So I don't practice it as much.
    Really?

Em7b5.........................A7b9

E G Bb D ...........A C# E G Bb

Dim scale beginning on a chord tone of A7b9

Bb C C# Eb E Gb G A

Just like you can ignore the ii of the V in maj 2-5, you can do the same in min 2-5. The dim scale hits all the chord tones of the V7b9. At any rate, I don't like complete scale "runs" , so I work on lots of subsets (eg- diminished pentatonics etc). I used to do the back door mixo thing (C7), but it sounds kinda lame to me now...

User Info Menu

Yea... there are more than enough options. But typically you don't play all notes etc.. The simple trick is using a plan to organize your results.

Most contexts have standard functional movements... the II V, E-7b5 A7b9... or whatever chords or note collections you choose to create relationships and develop... don't just happen one time.

So you need to decide what the Chord Pattern is or what it can become.
    Is it each chord a tonal target.... E-7b5 has subdominat function, A7 has dominant function and D- is Tonic.

Or is the II V a chord pattern... functioning as one tonal element. Subdominant or Dominant to D- the Tonic, or is the whole Chord Pattern one element.... a loop. One function, the key of " E-7b5, A7b9, Dmin".

Yada Yada... and you need to decide what the context is, the tune, usually from quick analysis which includes melody, changes, rhythm...Form. Then make a quick choice how you want to perform your choices... This helps with musical organization of what subs you use, (the reasons why you use subs), and what other Harmonic and melodic relationships you choose to develop.

The examples from rintincop are great and obvious right... and that's one reference... (there are more and personally better. I just don't like the BH thing, to muddy), but typically your going to be listening and comping more than soloing... so you need them all.

IPO... after you have all the option together, possible note collections and organizations of... you can start the melodic organization, if your a melody lover, make sure the harmonic choices also reflect your melodic organization.

It can work... if you just use your ears and let the music happen, and I understand that wrong notes are part of playing jazz...but organization of wrong notes is generally how they become right notes.

Like I said above, you don't play all the notes... in a couple of beats or even a couple of bars... but you might after playing a few choruses. That one of those Space or Form organizational things... your setting up what your going to play later. The shape of your solo etc...

So this process of laying out all the possibilities isn't hard, right. Take all typical note collections and their diatonic possibilities...You'll end up with all the possible chords and their sources. Start plugging and playing results, a matrix, then go through common added notes... blue notes, common embellishments etc... you'll get results of common added note chords.

Then the actual playing aspect... learn the common chord patterns and where they're from. Learn how to use functional organization of chords or note collections and chord patterns which are just common collections of combinations of chords. And from the work of laying out the possible sources of those note collections... you'll be able to start Plugging and playing with organization along with expanding with subs etc... all with musical organization.

Yea.. then you start to have layers of organization going on... basically just Function or context, root motion, lead lines or melodies and the filler notes, the harmonic thing.

And you end up with very organizational approach to plug and play with,

1) Function or context, the big tonal organization of how your using...
    2) Root motion, The reference Harmonic Rhythm
    3) The melody or target notes that become part of that Harmonic Rhythm
    4) All the organized options of plug and play harmony or rest of the notes, the tonal thing.

You can obviously start from anywhere... but you need to know results from options.

* this is really not that complicated, my presentation needs work.

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who thinks all these scales are clunky? I prefer to think of the chord tones and the extensions surrounding them depending on what phrase or sound I want to play.

User Info Menu

Hell yes... very clunky. And if you didn't put in the time to know what Chord Tones and extensions are.... so would they.

Even just thinking chord tones.... who just plays basic chords, from chart or in our head or ears... just over and over etc...

Maybe someday we'll just be able to plug our brain into our phone or download an app that will get rid of thinking all together.

hey Erwin... sorry, really, don't mean to make rude statements after your post. It's just all the clunky BS is not that difficult. In general, if musicians or guitar players, (this Forum), would put in 25% of the time they put into playing shit over and over to make it work. The result might be... wow, this BS is easy, maybe I don't need to memorize everything I play... I can actually play and create at the same time. Or even if your more of an in the moment player... use your ears with more organized possibilities. Be able to hear more...

User Info Menu

Clunky if you view it as "play this over this."

User Info Menu

I mean everyone has different goals but for me if I want to play some form the "jazz language" I have yet to see how scale systems help with this. Perhaps maybe it can be used to organize some of it? But for me personally I like to transcribe quiet a bit and I don't see how its beneficial to lump the language and phrases I learn from the masters into some sort of scale system. This is coming from someone who intellectually understands modes and scales ect. Anyways If it works for people to think this way that's awesome as everyone see's this differently! It just seems clunky as mentioned before.

User Info Menu

Well, I think that's all any of this is, organization.

So when I see people say "play this scale over this," I kinda know they're doomed. But if you look at it more as a "getting from point A to B," or cataloging sounds you know work, then it's useful. The music still comes first, obviously...but after a while, you can only hold so many phrases in your head...you have to try to make some sense of the "why," as in "why does this work, or sound good?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, I think that's all any of this is, organization.

So when I see people say "play this scale over this," I kinda know they're doomed. But if you look at it more as a "getting from point A to B," or cataloging sounds you know work, then it's useful. The music still comes first, obviously...but after a while, you can only hold so many phrases in your head...you have to try to make some sense of the "why," as in "why does this work, or sound good?"
    I can dig this. But when thinking of "why does this sound good" I reckon I prefer to think, "oh because he's playing the 9th here and that has this sound" as opposed to this note fits within this scale, which seems too unspecific for my tastes. If i want to tap into and expand upon a specific phrase or sound that I like, I personally think its much more specific than the notion that it fits within a scale. In which I guess I'd rather think more about specific intervals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    I can dig this. But when thinking of "why does this sound good" I reckon I prefer to think, "oh because he's playing the 9th here and that has this sound" as opposed to this note fits within this scale, which seems too unspecific for my tastes. Just as an example
    Well, yeah, there's a lot of different things that go into making a line sound good...pitch collections are just one...

User Info Menu

Good point, I mean all of the things I've mentioned are totally disregarding rhythm, dynamics, feel ect.

User Info Menu

I think everyone who can play jazz are self taught. It doesn't matter if they went to a jazz school, studied with the best players or read all the books. I'm realizing that the key breakthroughs can only be achieved by individual experimentation and discovery.
    Scales, chord tones, licks and what not are very crude, incomplete approximations for a process that no one seems to have figured out how to prescribe.
    Every jazz player I know, every pro I studied with have developed their own individual systems and ways of thinking.

User Info Menu

As some have been saying, let's just substitute "pitch collections" for "scales" so we can keep the discussion going. I'm interested to know what some of you prefer to pull from over the min 2-5 in various contexts. Do you address both chords? Do you just play V7b9 stuff over both? Do you favour certain PC's - like the harmonic minor?, alt scale? Chord tones? Extensions? Subs?, Chromatic embellishments? Licks? Devices?

Let's face it, min 2-5's (and indeed minor keys) are not as commonly found or used in Jazz as much as it's counterpart in major. Personally, I'm beginning to prefer minor keys these days, so the more discussion about it the better!

User Info Menu

Am I the only guy that likes HW dim over min 2-5 ?
    Yes

no one likes that

seriously though, dim symmetry is really suggested by a lot of progressions, certainly this one.

User Info Menu

So if we're talking favorite go to "pitch collections," I'm pretty much ignoring the ii.

So going to Dm through A7, i like A7b9, or a harmonic minor phyrg dom sound, diminished from say, the 3rd, 7(#11) a half step above (so Eb7#11) or really any kind of Eb major or dominant sound, or C7, or G minor to D minor. That's off the top of my head without a guitar, I'm sure if I had an instrument there'd be a few more "pet patterns" I dig. Oh, one more, very apt to think A7b9#5 (b13, whatever) there, which isn't so different than Eb9#11 I guess...

User Info Menu

As some have been saying, let's just substitute "pitch collections" for "scales" so we can keep the discussion going. I'm interested to know what some of you prefer to pull from over the min 2-5 in various contexts. Do you address both chords? Do you just play V7b9 stuff over both? Do you favour certain PC's - like the harmonic minor?, alt scale? Chord tones? Extensions? Subs?, Chromatic embellishments? Licks? Devices?

Let's face it, min 2-5's (and indeed minor keys) are not as commonly found or used in Jazz as much as it's counterpart in major. Personally, I'm beginning to prefer minor keys these days, so the more discussion about it the better!
    argghhh. I mean, it’s just so many notes! Real jazz lines don’t have enough notes in them to call it a lot of the time.

the Dim tetrachord for instance, 1-b9-#9-9 on a V7 - is far more useful than any whole scale and far more prevalent. What alt Dom scale does it relate to?

the answer is yes.

also. Fucking voice leading. It is not necessary to make a meal out of the dominant, because any note will work provided it is part of voice leading. Connections are important. The ear hears stepwise connections easier than harmonic relations. So the major 7 on V7 will work if it connects by step to the target chord. See of course Night in Tunisia and countless bop lines.

it also hears triads. So if you want a half-wholedim tonality really the bit you actually want is the 13b9 right? Because that’s the cool sound that you don’t find in more regular altered dominant. You don’t want a whole dim scale because playing an 8 note scale is - not going to happen. Instead you use, eg, an E triad (with maybe an F) over the G7.

but that sound is parented by the BH dim scales as well. In this case Abm6-dim, which also includes the other altered dom notes. Because of this it has been called the ‘perfect altered scale’ by Howard Rees.

Very often I’m not even thinking of what the extension is. I just play an Ab because there was an A earlier and I’m going to a G. Running the line.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-27-2020 at 02:20 PM.

What Is This Thing Called Love - Cole Porter

|| G-7b5 | C7b9 | F-6 | F-6 |
    | D-7b5 | G7b9 | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 :||

8 beats (16 eighth notes) of the so called diminished scale each line? Thus never getting the G-7b5 right... No thank you . I would rather teach my students a basic ideal melodic framework. Barry Harris learned this melodic application from Thelonius Monk.
    Charlie Parker used it as his go to melodic application over minor 7 flat 5.
    Whoever says it's muddy is mistaken, imo. It's Mark Levine type chord scale theory that is is confused.

User Info Menu

What Is This Thing Called Love - Cole Porter

|| G-7b5 | C7b9 | F-6 | F-6 |
    | D-7b5 | G7b9 | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 :||

8 beats (16 eighth notes) of the so called diminished scale each line? No thank you . I want to teach my students a basic ideal framework. Barry Harris learned this application from Thelonius Monk and Charlie Parker used it as his go to application.
    Whoever says it's muddy is confused, imo. It's Mark Levine chord scale theory that is is confused.
    That song is sooooooo harmonic minor to my ears in the melody, I can't divorce myself from that for blowing.

The Barry Harris application (minor 7 b5 to dominant 7 b9) is harmonic minor in disguise. It's harmonic minor re-phrased, re-aligned, it's been optimized. It's pragmatic. In contrast, straight up the harmonic minor scale sucks.

User Info Menu

The Barry Harris application (minor 7 b5 to dominant 7 b9) is harmonic minor in disguise. It's harmonic minor re-phrased, re-aligned, it's been optimized. It's pragmatic. In contrast, straight up the harmonic minor scale sucks.
    Who plays straight scales?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Who plays straight scales?
    Students through masters. It's basics. In all 12 major and minor keys.

Your question is like asking a martial artist "who practices katas?" "That's not really fighting (improvising)". The idea is to practice ideal movements. Then when you spar with an opponent in martial it's improvised and your body has unconscious ideal movements. But in order to spar you need to have many hours of daily basic ideal movements under your belt. Scales are movements.

It's like asking a professional ballet dancer "who practices plies or eleves?" (basics) YES, every day.

Or asking does a tennis champion "practices basic serves?" YES!

The only "straight scale" that sounds good over minor 7 b5 Dominant b9 (in relation to the chords) is the one Monk taught Barry Harris, imo. However, I wouldn't call it a straight scale. Play C7 (E-7b5) down from the 7th to C# is hardly normal or "straight", it's pretty tricky.
    Maybe piano players realize it more than guitarists since their left hand is always laying down the harmony when practicing right hand single note playing.

Last edited by rintincop; 02-27-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Ask Ron Carter what he practices.
    Answer: the scale.

Ask Ron Carter what he teaches his students.
    Answer: the scale

Ask Barry Harris what he practices.
    Answer: movements in the scale.

Ask Barry Harris what he teaches his students.
    Answer: movements in the scale

So, back to the original post, does anybody know what scale approach Jerry Bergonzi prescribes over
    E-7b5 A7b9 ?

User Info Menu

Students through masters. It's basics. In all 12 major and minor keys.

Your question is like asking a martial artist "who practices katas?" "That's not really fighting (improvising)". The idea is to practice ideal movements. Then when you spar with an opponent in martial it's improvised and your body has unconscious ideal movements. But in order to spar you need to have many hours of daily basic ideal movements under your belt. Scales are movements.

It's like asking a professional ballet dancer "who practices plies or eleves?" (basics) YES, every day.

Or asking does a tennis champion "practices basic serves?" YES!

The only "straight scale" that sounds good over minor 7 b5 Dominant b9 (in relation to the chords) is the one Monk taught Barry Harris, imo. However, I wouldn't call it a straight scale. Play C7 (E-7b5) down from the 7th to C# is hardly normal or "straight", it's pretty tricky.
    Maybe piano players realize it more than guitarists since their left hand is always laying down the harmony when practicing right hand single note playing.

I didn't ask who practices straight scales, I asked who plays them when improvising?