The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Gainly
    I rarely imagine a melody and then play it. If I do, it's likely to be stilted. Improvising is seat of the pants composition in the now. I think melody happens when we start something, adding to it as it develops, each note a judgement. The melody is amorphous and obtains form by developing. For that you need good ears and a lot of playing experience.

Problem is, it's the stepwise melodies that are the easiest to imagine and play. If you want to play something angular, more leapwise - then your chord/arpeggio/position playing has to be good enough to be available to your creative mind. The benefit of the woodshed is most relevant there I feel.

I am at stage three (b) above so I am trying to avoid doing all the stuff I would normally do. Rhythmic re-evaluation seems to be the best focus atm. Mind you I am not trying to sound like 'a jazz guitarist'. Talking of which anyone know James Blood Ulmer? He was supposed to be a jazz guitarist.
    I do feel hearing a good melody on the changes is kind of the hard bit. The rest is just making the instrument work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The rest is just making the instrument work
    How true.