Quote Originally Posted by NickES345
    Hot Saw is an anagram of So What.
    Doh!

hah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Doh!

hah.
    yeah, the device of using ‘cute’ song titles to imply the changes of a well known tune is widespread in instructional books. Chord changes aren’t copyrighted and I believe song titles can’t be copyrighted either, so I’m not sure how necessary this device is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NickES345
    yeah, the device of using ‘cute’ song titles to imply the changes of a well known tune is widespread in instructional books. Chord changes aren’t copyrighted and I believe song titles can’t be copyrighted either, so I’m not sure how necessary this device is.
    That's what I didn't get I guess. I would've expected it to be called "So Why" or "What Else" or the like. Hot Saw kinda threw me.

User Info Menu

That's what I didn't get I guess. I would've expected it to be called "So Why" or "What Else" or the like. Hot Saw kinda threw me.
    Maybe he got a chuckle out of it. Later in the book "West Coast Blues" gets retitled as "East Ghost Blues", which would be more in the line of your thinking...

User Info Menu

This is the Hot Saw I messed around with tonight. It's a little different from the book, as I just did 8 bars of Dm, Ebm, Dm each.

I tried to use both Dm & Am for the first 8, then Ebm & Bbm for the 2nd, and the last 8 bars are me trying Em (5th of the 5th?). Nothing fancy or flashy, although I did try to do a Wes-like descending/alternating triads at the end of the "B" section.

User Info Menu

Sounds good, Bahnzo - nice tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Had to jump back into this before it slipped away for good. Quick first take on Hot Saw at the end of lunch break. Feels noodly.

Really nice, and man, I love your time. Very relaxed pocket, suits this perfectly.

User Info Menu

Finally got around to record something again. Took me some practice and time to get comfortable playing and inprovising in 3/4 time.

Here's "Three Bees" - two takes recorded this sunny (but cold) afternoon while in self-isolation:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Finally got around to record something again. Took me some practice and time to get comfortable playing and inprovising in 3/4 time.

Here's "Three Bees" - two takes recorded this sunny (but cold) afternoon while in self-isolation:

Your time was well spent: both takes sound very fluid and confident! Very musical too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO

Boy I really enjoyed that TOMMO! Very musical. Well done!

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay and Joe!

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Hot Saw

Improvised solo over Hot Saw

Comments welcomed !!

User Info Menu

Very nice, AA. Well done catching the change... it can sneak up on you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Very nice, AA. Well done catching the change... it can sneak up on you!
    Yes it can. The drummer often gave you the cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm up to the "Hot Saw" portion of Ch. 3, and Garrison in a way sneaks in what I think seems like an important little nugget.....that you can play the triad extensions of the triad extensions, right? Like he mentions, the Dminor is made of Dm, F, Am, and C. And says you can play an Aminor extension over the D minor. And I'm assuming that also means you can play F and C major as well (I'm guessing that might be talked about later? I'm trying not to read ahead). So playing around, I discovered you can really play both Dm and Am extensions and mix them up in the song.

And, since Am is made up of C, Em, and G, I also gave a go of playing Em extensions over the Dm7 of the tune. It's out there, but it works. I'm guessing that might be something for later on as well.

Also, since I don't read (music) very well, I took a few minutes to convert Garrison's sample for Hot Saw to tab. I'll attach it below. I tried to make sure the fingering seemed correct. It's also something that helped turn on the light bulb for me about the Am and Dm as he demonstrates it in the sample solo.

Edit: anyone care to answer how So What = Hot Saw?
    I'm working on Hot Saw today and taking a look at the sample solo, FIgure 3.5. I see some Bmin7b5 arpeggios in there. Combined with the nugget that Bahnzo highlighted, that implies, for D dorian (aka C ionian), we can use the following triads:

C major
    D minor
    E minor
    F major
    G major
    A minor
    B min7b5

Basically all the diatonic triads, and we can add extensions to D minor (as taught) and E minor (as Bahnzo described above). Wow! It's a real insight to take all the notes of the scale and organize them in a way that helps generate melodies. This particular approach seems to be yielding more fruit for me than when I focused strictly on scales and multi-octave arpeggios. My soloing attempts sounded like scales and arps, not little melodic phrases. Laying it out in this manner is very helpful for me, and I like the way I'm seeing the fretboard in a slightly new light.

Sorry if I'm the last to catch this, but better late than never!

User Info Menu

Here is my attempt at Three's Bees

Three's Bees

User Info Menu

Excellent - enjoyed that!

User Info Menu

Now, finally, to ch 4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Now, finally, to ch 4
    Really. Really. Nice. Frank!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=MarkRhodes;1006523]Okay, you guys are killing it and I wanted to at least show up. ;o)

Today I did this without looking at the book.

I do like the way you are limiting yourself to three fingers. I'm having difficulty with that - the pinky keeps creeping in. Like the sound as well.

User Info Menu

Hello there friends.
    I'm having a lot of fun with the book and now I started to try something over So What.
    I'm using a backing track from Real Book here.

Fell free for any feedback.

P.S.: I "moved" the post here because this song is chapter 3.