The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 147

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    So here is all 32 measures composed for Ex 3.3:
    Terrific job Frank! And thanks for the transcription.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    Very nice, Fep.

Beautiful tone on that guitar. Great solo, some really sweet phrases.

Edit: just had a few more listens. Love the line at bar 13. Really great.

Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Good job Frank!
    Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Terrific job Frank! And thanks for the transcription.
    Thanks for listening and the encouragement. This was a worthwhile exercise for me.

Derek, regarding the line at 13... From the lesson being able to use an Am triad over Dm, I was thinking Am blues scale and then followed that up with the same line but in Dm, i.e. Dm blues scale. That seems to work nicely. Surprising that the Eb of the Am blues scale works in this Dm dorian context. I know in my past I've seen transcriptions or transcribed parts where I think, how did that guitarist come up with those notes, an Eb over Dm?, an Am blues scale over Dm? If I could know what/how they think, the weird notes can make sense.

User Info Menu

Great to understand how you came up with that Eb, Fep. Brilliant. But it wasn't just the note, you placed it beautifully in a lovely triplet line. Great work!

I must admit I've struggled with GF's backing tracks a little - and also Jamey Aebersold (I've been playing along to his So What track from a Miles Davis set). They seem to have so much syncopation and the backing tends to float over the chords and bars that I find it really hard to keep time and especially play on the off-beats. I guess I'm so used to roots music where everything is a lot more defined.

Derek

User Info Menu

Had to jump back into this before it slipped away for good. Quick first take on Hot Saw at the end of lunch break. Feels noodly.

User Info Menu

Here's my crack at Hot Saw:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Feels noodly.
    Not at all to me - very "cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

Good job - I like your tone.

User Info Menu

Not at all to me - very "cool"..
    Thanks. I’m realizing that So What / Hot Saw is one chord away from being Dark Star circa 1973.

User Info Menu

Had to jump back into this before it slipped away for good. Quick first take on Hot Saw at the end of lunch break. Feels noodly. <br>

Doesn't sound noodly to me, rather it sounds good and right in line with what the book is teaching. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Yep, that's the stuff of this book, choke full of triads, some nice moving trad sequences also. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Good stuff!
    Gentlemen, I have some catching up to do...

User Info Menu

Thanks. I’m realizing that So What / Hot Saw is one chord away from being Dark Star circa 1973.
    Listening to Dark Star now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Listening to Dark Star now.
    Just sort of a deadhead joke. If you’re not familiar with the Grateful Dead, especially from that era, they did a lot of really long modal jamming over a single chord.

User Info Menu

they did a lot of really long modal jamming over a single chord.
    That sounds like an effing nightmare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    That sounds like an effing nightmare
    Actually, when it was good it was great.

User Info Menu

What do Deadheads say when the drugs wear off..?

... What's that awful music?

Joking aside, I have several albums by the Dead and I enjoy them all. There's even a version of Hot Saw on The Pizza Tapes, which I often listen to.

User Info Menu

I stumpled upon this, got through the first 20 minutes. This looks to be interesting, I'll watch the whole thing. So What = Hot Saw = Dark Star = Wo Stah... Maybe my next take will be this Wo Stah thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Good stuff!
    Gentlemen, I have some catching up to do...
    No rush, Mark. In a few days I'll start the March thread (the second half of this chapter), but we can feel free to keep working on/revisiting Hot Saw.

User Info Menu

Sort of for closure on this exercise, and following Frank's example, please see the transcript of my composed solo. I've never done this before and I'm sure it's full of mistakes - but I saw a thread elsewhere about music notation and I downloaded Muse and had a go... The plan is to keep this in the book (it's far nicer than my handwritten version) and next time through (I'm starting to feel like there will be many goes through) I will be able to follow my improvements in lines and phrases.

Anyway, here 'tis:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Better late than never. Onward!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    Sort of for closure on this exercise, and following Frank's example, please see the transcript of my composed solo. I've never done this before and I'm sure it's full of mistakes - but I saw a thread elsewhere about music notation and I downloaded Muse and had a go... The plan is to keep this in the book (it's far nicer than my handwritten version) and next time through (I'm starting to feel like there will be many goes through) I will be able to follow my improvements in lines and phrases.

Anyway, here 'tis:
    Nice work on learning the software and composing the solo. Awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Better late than never. Onward!

Sounds great

User Info Menu

I've been sidetracked writing and recording a tune. The outro is inspired by the Garrison lessons, both the chords from chapter 2 and 3, and the modal concepts of Hot Saw, and discussions here. So my last Hot Saw type submission is this fresh off the presses outro of my tune:

User Info Menu

I'm up to the "Hot Saw" portion of Ch. 3, and Garrison in a way sneaks in what I think seems like an important little nugget.....that you can play the triad extensions of the triad extensions, right? Like he mentions, the Dminor is made of Dm, F, Am, and C. And says you can play an Aminor extension over the D minor. And I'm assuming that also means you can play F and C major as well (I'm guessing that might be talked about later? I'm trying not to read ahead). So playing around, I discovered you can really play both Dm and Am extensions and mix them up in the song.

And, since Am is made up of C, Em, and G, I also gave a go of playing Em extensions over the Dm7 of the tune. It's out there, but it works. I'm guessing that might be something for later on as well.

Also, since I don't read (music) very well, I took a few minutes to convert Garrison's sample for Hot Saw to tab. I'll attach it below. I tried to make sure the fingering seemed correct. It's also something that helped turn on the light bulb for me about the Am and Dm as he demonstrates it in the sample solo.

Edit: anyone care to answer how So What = Hot Saw?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo

Edit: anyone care to answer how So What = Hot Saw?
    If I understand your question right: it's for copyright reasons. Chord progressions by themselves can't be copyrighted but if you use one from a published tune and you use the original name of the tune than I guess it's copyrighted....

User Info Menu

If I understand your question right: it's for copyright reasons. Chord progressions by themselves can't be copyrighted but if you use one from a published tune and you use the original name of the tune than I guess it's copyrighted....
    No, I understand it's a copyright thing, but I don't understand why the name Hot Saw and how it relates to So What. Like later we have Three B's which is for Beads, Baubles, and Bangles. That makes sense.