The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikostep
    Shocked with what? A lesson with Peter is 25-30 Usd. It take 1-2 hours, sometimes 3.

IMHO, he is one of the best teachers I've ever encountered and I've took lessons with some extremely famous names in jazz. So, his price is shockingly low. Even GB talks about him with deep respect because he managed to dissect his entire approach and transform it into understandable approach.
    I know I sound extremely biased here, so take this with grain of salt. But, there is nothing to loose for people who ought just to follow his free material and transcribe.
    One more thing, I think that his students gain a lot by just listening him playing and using that stuff in different context and by listening to small, on the road advices that he collected from George and pass on students.
    Sorry, I might have misunderstood. I thought the $200/month was just for access to recorded videos. It’s for one on one lessons? Because yes that is on the low side

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by corpse
    Sorry, I might have misunderstood. I thought the $200/month was just for access to recorded videos. It’s for one on one lessons? Because yes that is on the low side

Corpse, I think you maybe right, I am not sure at all. I think best check with p0eter and then decide re the investment. If I was working and not retired I certanily would consider it as it zones into to GB meat and potatoes!!! Anyway nice to hear from you Sibbs

User Info Menu

Videos are live, so you watch them and ask if something is not clear right away. Afterwards you can ask again in group or contact Peter directly if necessary. He always replies very fast. You can send him as many videos of your playing. He checks them regularly. Periodically he gives free skype meetings to check where you're at and correct something if necessary.
    IMO, because of the amount of material and it's inventiveness it's best to have videos that you can watch many times. I still watch them and regularly come back to older lessons.
    I hope this clarifies a bit.

User Info Menu

No you don't. You understood correctly, that price is for 4 prerecorded video. At least according Peters website. (see link below)

And for that money you will not access to all prerecorded videos, only for that 4 videos, what are in the group you picked to join, and only for one month. At least this is what the website are currently saying.

To access all videos, you must pay $450 per month and 6 month in advance, total of $2768 ("Full Package (70 lessons, 6 months staying in the groups): £2060") (see link below)

"In order to better organize the subjects, the lessons are divided into cycles of 4 videos between 1 hour and 1:30. Each cycle (4 video lessons) runs in a different Facebook group, and they can only be accessed by invited subscribers: Facebook calls these secret groupsAll the lessons are pre recorded and are available 24/7 while you are a member of the groups.."
    "As soon as you make the payment, add me on Facebook and send me a private message, this confirms that it is you. After that I will add you to the group or groups."

Facebook Lessons - Peter Farrell Guitar

Skype lessons are also available, one lesson is $200

Skype Lessons - Peter Farrell Guitar

User Info Menu

I don't think I will be buying the multi-thousand dollars "Benson's Secrets" course any time soon, but I'm glad the guy is receiving the living legend treatment (that he so richly deserves) while he is still alive.

User Info Menu

"Every chord can be a dominant." - - Fareed Haque

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    "Every chord can be a dominant." - - Fareed Haque
    ...and even a dominat seventh chord can function as not a dominant... (me :-)

I do not know what Fareed meant, but I hope it was not "the improviser free to decide", because it would be pretty misleading.

I mean applying mechanical general substitution rules are simply not working and leading unmusical results. Instead a chord progression (and some hints from the tune itself) determines where the tune requires tension. That place is a "dominant" regardless which chord quality is on that place. At the same time in some places where the progression contain dominant seventh chord quality it is really not a tension place, and sounds bad if you try to apply any tool which implies that.

(all above is talking about standard progressions. When there is a four or more bars chord block in a modal tune the improviser can choose superimposing tension and release over it. (I wish I knew how to do it properly :-)