The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Barryites!

You could play C maj dim over the root movement for the whole turnaround (sounds ok to me!) but is there anything else Barry has shown anyone here? Like first bar C maj dim and then second bar Ab maj dim?!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When working on improv on this tune Barry uses 1-2-3-5 and permutations on each chord.

in terms of the eight note scales, i don’t know... I would probably think Ebmaj6-dim going to Cmaj6-dim, with a possible detour via Dbm6-dim on the way but.... Alan?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morgan76
    Hi Barryites!

You could play C maj dim over the root movement for the whole turnaround (sounds ok to me!) but is there anything else Barry has shown anyone here? Like first bar C maj dim and then second bar Ab maj dim?!

Thanks Christian. I was wondering about rhythm / comping rather than lines.

User Info Menu

Godammit just play the blues csale over the whole thing . One of Tubby Hayes' favourite tricks .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morgan76
    Hi Barryites!

Translating each bar into 6dim chords:

CMaj7 - movement on C6o and/or G6o

Eb7 - on Em6o and/or Bbm6o

AbMaj7 - on Ab6o and/or Eb6o

Db7 - on Dm6o and/or Abm6o

Lots of possibilities --- have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    When working on improv on this tune Barry uses 1-2-3-5 and permutations on each chord.
    Isn't this the basic first line of attack for Giant Steps?

My bad guys I should have posted this in chords / comping

(Chris on the Things I've Learned From Barry Harris channel has shown how to use the 6dim scale over a regular 2 bar 1625 turnaround.)