The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I dunno, all I could ever commit to was an hour or so a day.

Then again, I'm nearly 15 years in and I'm finally approaching "not embarrassing" level, so take that for what its worth.
    Ha! - bit of a difference b/n an hour a day for 3 months, vs an hour per day for 15 years!
    Last edited by princeplanet; 12-20-2019 at 10:09 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For students or hobbyists - 1 hour per day can definitely yeild progress! 2 hours per day can yield great progress.

Working up to "pro" level takes more. A "no mistake" performance level is the minimum standard and there is more repertoire to work up, and maintain.

User Info Menu

So yea... your where i thought you were.... very talented, been involved with music for years... Don't really have the jazz thing together and checking it out. Jazz is difficult to just play without.... lots of time and organized work. Then to actually be able to play in a Jazz style takes even more time.

Most music is very Black and white... not that many choices, just develop some skills or sight read the music and your off and runnin. With jazz it becomes about possibilities, multi-layered and all going on simultaneously.

User Info Menu

If I were you I would take a standard I like
    (or failing that 'all of me' )

learn the tune and changes really well
    then play through the form using the Arps for each chord
    up C , down E7 up A7 etc round the form

Keep going at it and then with many variations,
    like bits of the tune thrown in , chromatic approaches,
    bits of scalar ideas etc
    up the arp , down the scale is a fav of mine
    mess with that a LOT .... Have fun with it

with everything you can already do
    it will be easy , follow your ears , outline the changes
    (don't be put off thinking you need to know
    every mode of every scale under the sun
    this is not true)

User Info Menu

You can walk and chew gum? right. also keep working on 1chord then 2chords as I mentioned above. Personally most players seem to never get away from 1st impressions of learning and performing tunes. It's like even when you know something would work better... you'll just keep doing what your comfortable with...and force it to work. Which happens when learning tunes, most times your first few understandings, analysis and performances can suck. Change the time, feel and form...it becomes a new tune. (really what happens is your guitar teaches you how to play the tune and where to play it). Disclaimer... Saying somewhat in jest. But at least think about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    If you are planning on playing tunes with a faster harmonic rhythm, you'll need to work very hard on lines that move through/connect changes too. In that case you'll need to learn how to express melodic ideas in 2-3 seconds. Further, the ideas are frequently influenced by what preceded them and what follows them.
    I've been working on measures 7 and 8 of Our Love Is Here to Stay for quite a while now. There are four chords in two measures: Eb9 D9 | Bmi7b5 E7b9. The first challenge was to parse out the actual chords, because the Real Book had measure 8 all D9, which doesn't resolve at all to the Ami D7 in measure 9. I kind of intuitively got that the Eb9 was really an A7 altered chord. So then it became a little easier to navigate from Eb to D7(9) which was half the battle. The second half was getting from D7 to Bmi7b5. The C in D7 is a leading tone to B natural, which sets me up for a minor ii V7 (I'm pretty much playing B locrian to E phrygian dominant here.) The E7b9 resolves comfortably to the Ami in measure 9. It's taken me a long time to get something musical to play here. Now I can change a few notes around and pass it off as ideas. Still could use some more work, though, especially at 150 bpm.