The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Does anyone know where to get some good Charlie Christian backing tracks covering classic Benny Goodman Sextet songs? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestion. What I'm really looking for though is play-along tracks where you can practice your CC licks with a band that sounds and feels like the band CC played with -- generally the Benny Goodman Sextet.

User Info Menu

What I do for that is play the Goodman sextet/septet, and play along with the real deal.

User Info Menu

Following. I'd love some tracks like that.

Like Sgosnell, I've played along with the originals a thousand times.

User Info Menu

Hal Leonard put out a Benny Goodman play-along.
    It has no guitar on it at all.
    Two versions of each track, played by a small band: one (the first) with a horn playing the melody and one (the second) without the melody.
    Not all the tunes are ones Charlie played on but there are five that he did play on: A Smooth One, Flying Home, Wholly Cats, Benny's Bugle, and Six Appeal. So you could practice your Charlie licks and riffs there. (The other five tunes are Mission to Moscow, Slipped Disc, Don't Be That Way, Let's Dance, and Sing, Sing, Sing.)

Lots of solo choruses as well as some ensemble riffs. (One of my favorite elements of classic Swing performances.)
    NO TAB.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Thanks MarkRhodes for suggesting the Benny Goodman play-alongs. I actually bought these several years ago and used them many, many times. They were the closest thing to what I wanted with the five Goodman/Christian tunes. However, the sound and groove were a bit too "modern" for me. I'd love to find something that rings of that old-school 40's sound. Frankly, I'm guessing that it may not be out there but I thought (and still think) it's worth asking the international band of players who visit this site. So, my search continues... Again, thanks MarkRhodes.

User Info Menu

Wolf Marshall's book of CC transcriptions has an accompanying CD where, IIRC the guitar is panned hard to one side and the band to the other so you can dial out the guitar. Played by real musicians - downside: it's just the choruses where CC played the head and solos if that's good enough for you.

User Info Menu

This is a bit tech-heavy, but if you import the original recording into an app like Capo! you can select a frequency and dial it out. It would be possible to seriously reduce the guitar sound and then use the actual original recording as a backing track.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson-Stone. Never heard of Capo! Looked it up. Looks interesting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    Thanks Lawson-Stone. Never heard of Capo! Looked it up. Looks interesting...
    I once used it (or Transcribe! which is similar) to help a middle school girl in my community create a "Karaoke" recording of song she was doing in a talent show. It worked pretty well. It depends on how the guitar sits in the mix. Some recordings are hard to EQ out that frequency band but if you can get a free demo it's worth a try.