The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    change 'see' to 'hear' and that is 90% of the answer.
    Been waiting for that - it's the answer for me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The OP, it has to be said, last posted in 2009 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I'm surprised the thread didn't grow legs, I guess it wasn't populated by the theory heavies back then!
    I don't know about that. Look at the threads from back then. TONS of conversation on playing and approach back then and a lot of very knowledgeable players of all levels in on the conversations. Pages and pages on some of those threads. In my opinion, the forum is now a lot less about playing than it was then. Mostly gear now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    No he is still coming back here to this topic looking for more advice.
    Well, if he couldn't find all the chord tones he needs in 10 years, then, as they say, in this case medicine is powerless.

Or as my solfege teacher used to say, one more time for specially gifted

User Info Menu

Necro thread; I'll poke at the corpse. I get good mileage out of one octave arpeggios, triads and even scales played on just two strings at a time. Always be able to jump up or down as the case may be to another string. When you get it down well, be able to jump a string or two and keep going, but keeping your focus or mental imagery, on just the string you're on and the one above or below it, depending on which direction you're headed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Monaco
    guitaroscar, and anyone else, are you actually thinking of the note names as you play them during that kind of thing? or do you think of the intervals or something else?
    Hi ,
    I don't know how typical this is HM
    But anyway ...

I'm not thinking note names much
    It's more 'sound shapes' like ...

I know what a min 3rd interval sounds like ...
    I can sing a min 3rd
    I know how to finger a min 3rd on the guitar

That kind of thing ...

The note thinking say from A to C
    doesn't work for me

User Info Menu

Personally, I know the relationships of the notes to the underlying chords, or to the key centre, and can hear them (for instance, I can hear a 3rd, 9th, 5th etc) and with a momentary thought can name the notes.

I don't think intervals SOOO much - like I do a bit, but I tend to hear functionally, so I'd hear, 5th then 3rd of G major, not a major sixth starting on the note D, if that makes any sense.

I drilled myself on degrees of the scale/chord and fretboard mapping ages ago which is good for theory and harmony.... Note naming is a good exercise to get your fretboard knowledge better for reading.