The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 159 of 159

User Info Menu

It'd be fun to see anyone actually try to map everything about musical memory.
    That'd be one massive job. I mean, consider how many questions those mere 12 notes can raise alone, without including any theory, tone & rhythm.

Would be helpful.. But then again, we've been doing ( well, they ) insane amount of great quality music without even knowing why minor chord is sad and why major chord is happy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    It'd be fun to see anyone actually try to map everything about musical memory.
    That'd be one massive job. I mean, consider how many questions those mere 12 notes can raise alone, without including any theory, tone & rhythm.

Would be helpful.. But then again, we've been doing ( well, they ) insane amount of great quality music without even knowing why minor chord is sad and why major chord is happy.
    Yes, well "they" can't even tell us what general memory is, or where it resides, let alone "Musical" memory, so yeah, still early days ...

As for Music Psychology (again, very early days...), it seems way more concerned with "how" we respond to musical stimuli as opposed to "why". I've often wondered if those primal tribes in the deep Amazon jungle (as yet unspoilt by western modernity) were played a major and minor chord, would they ascribe any different emotion to either?
    Last edited by princeplanet; 12-21-2019 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

I meant more from a practicing musician standpoint. That's probably doable right now without fancy machinery.
    Pretty much list all the "r u able to ... ?" questions that a "flawless improvising" musician should truthfully answer "yes, could do it while asleep".

The comment about major and minor was just to troll around for fun

User Info Menu

Ok. Lets carry on.
    My little comment about minor and major is very much on topic and probably a bit overlooked detail in musical memory.
    Musical memory - jazz or any other - is so special that without pondering about what the hell is going on with the emotions tied to specific harmonic events, all what's left is "what note goes where".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Elephants are the best.

User Info Menu

I think a whole lot can be learned but it's mostly what you memorise and how. In one of the examples above there is substitution I didn't know about so I'd have to play it and then figure out to what chord both original (G7 min or not, and Asus) relate. Like when an F is replaced by an F-jimmy I immediately think about the Cm. al the theory is only to get us started until we know which patterns ( in muscle memory) relate to feelings ( is that emotional memory). Goes for chord progression and lines. The other thing I think is the more you work at it the shorter your melodic patterns become and the seams really disappear.
    So that computer better get back to accounting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Interesting video, Graham,

Elephants have an IQ comparable with Chimpanzees. The animal was cleared "moved" by the music. What conclusion we can make is uncertain. However, the first known musical instruments were bone flutes dating 42K years ago found in the caves of Lascaux in Southern France. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 12-23-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

My post about the elephant in the forum seems to have become just a memory.