The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 261

User Info Menu

Here's one more crack at Elle. Sorry for the trebly guitar sound and the click track!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Here's one more crack at Elle. Sorry for the trebly guitar sound and the click track!

Fantastic. You’re transitioning between chords in such a natural, melodic way.

User Info Menu

Chord Spelling

C# E# G# B D# F# A# C# E# G# B D# F# A# C#
    C# E G# B D# F# A# C# E G# B D# F# A# C#
    C# E G# B D# F# A C# E G# B D# F# A C#
    C# E G# B D F# A C# E G# B D F# A C#
    C# E G B D F# A C# E G B D F# A C#
    C E G B D F# A C E G B D F# A C

C E G B D F A C E G B D F A C

C E G Bb D F A C E G Bb D F A C
    C Eb G Bb D F A C Eb G Bb D F A C
    C Eb G Bb D F Ab C Eb G Bb D F Ab C
    C Eb G Bb Db F Ab C Eb G Bb Db F Ab C
    C Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab C Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab C
    Cb Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab Cb Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab Cb

User Info Menu

I have a copy arriving later today. One question tho, I don't really have a CD player...how important is the CD with the book? If it's simply backing tracks, then I have BiaB for that. Otherwise, I'll have to go dig in a closet as I know I have one for my PC in there somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I have a copy arriving later today. One question tho, I don't really have a CD player...how important is the CD with the book? If it's simply backing tracks, then I have BiaB for that. Otherwise, I'll have to go dig in a closet as I know I have one for my PC in there somewhere.
    I didn't get a cd. There was website link and a code that let's you access the backing tracks. The tracks make things simpler though I've mostly recorded myself to create backing tracks. I'm trying to practice chord work and my bass at the same time as doing these lessons.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the study group Bahnzo! I find the CD to be very helpful, not so much for the backing tracks but to listen and emulate GF's phrasing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Welcome to the study group Bahnzo! I find the CD to be very helpful, not so much for the backing tracks but to listen and emulate GF's phrasing.
    That's what I was wondering...whether it's simply backing tracks, or if there are audio examples of the lessons.

User Info Menu

Must confess. I've hardly listened to the audio. I did use the backing track for one exercise, but that's about it. If you can read music I think you'll be fine. (There is some tab - quite a lot of it, actually)

User Info Menu

Well good luck. It didn't come with a CD, but instead a code that I entered and downloaded the mp3's. Win-win.

User Info Menu

That's what I was wondering...whether it's simply backing tracks, or if there are audio examples of the lessons.
    Both.
    He plays selected exercises and then has a backing track for soloing over. I don't listen to the CD much but I'm glad I have it.
    If you have a PC, you should be able to hear the disc that way.

User Info Menu

Well good luck. It didn't come with a CD, but instead a code that I entered and downloaded the mp3's. Win-win.
    That's increasingly common and I actually prefer it. (CDs are easily damaged and misplaced.)

User Info Menu

The audio is important to hear Garrison's phrasing; especially that chapter on phrasing/articulation. If Garrison were still with us I have no doubt he would be helping us along on these threads. He was a nice guy who responded to inquiries about his book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's increasingly common and I actually prefer it. (CDs are easily damaged and misplaced.)
    Agreed x100.

Also, what is going on here that I'm downloading a Garrison+Fewell mp4 on this forum everytime I visit. Even typing this reply downloaded it. Weird....

Edit: it's on every page. Anything that's linked, like a video, Soundcloud, etc is being downloaded as a file instead of shown as intended.

User Info Menu

Had the book for a couple days now. The first chapter was kind of a review for me at least. One thing I did find new was the part on tensions and which ones fit the chords best (or maybe simply used most). I never really gave that any thought.

Working on the minor triad +extensions around the circle of fifths and gave the tune Elle a little work. I don't have a web cam (I keep saying someday I'll get one) but I'll post some soundcloud stuff now and then to share progress with everyone. I do like seeing and hearing what people post as I think it opens up ideas and concepts we maybe didn't consider.

User Info Menu

Moving right along. I've been doing the minor triad stuff from chapter 2, and some of the phrasing studies from the start of Ch. 3. I tried to use all of that in the slow bossa tune Elle.

I'm really liking this so far. I feel like this is something I've been wanting for awhile now. I've been trying to study triads from various other sources and nothing ever seemed to stick. This is off to a good start I think and I'm felling good about this.

User Info Menu

Well done, Bahnzo - very relaxed and laid back!

User Info Menu

Moving right along. I've been doing the minor triad stuff from chapter 2, and some of the phrasing studies from the start of Ch. 3. I tried to use all of that in the slow bossa tune Elle.
    Nice, Bahnzo! Sounds like you're getting comfortable with the shapes and transitioning between them.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm pretty far behind everyone else, but I figured I'd make a video of pages 12-13 in chapter 2. I do those pages, then fool around for a bit. I'm embarrassed by the sloppiness, as it was a first take intended just to see if the set up worked and I didn't warm up or anything. I'm lazy though - once I recorded *something* I stopped, lol. But, now that I've broken the ice on doing an example, hopefully I'll do more with better production values and fewer mistakes/more warm-up.

The backing track is something I made in iRealPro and I'm using a 1999 Gibson Historic ES-335 with T-I 0.011 flats plugged straight into a Fender Rumble 500 bass amp (along with my phone playing the iRealPro track) and the sound is being captured by the mic on my laptop.

OMG the camera adds 20 lbs!!!!

User Info Menu

Nice, Guitarjay! Beautiful guitar there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    Well, I'm pretty far behind everyone else, but I figured I'd make a video of pages 12-13 in chapter 2. I do those pages, then fool around for a bit. I'm embarrassed by the sloppiness, as it was a first take intended just to see if the set up worked and I didn't warm up or anything. I'm lazy though - once I recorded *something* I stopped, lol. But, now that I've broken the ice on doing an example, hopefully I'll do more with better production values and fewer mistakes/more warm-up.
    Awesome, Jay. If that's what you're doing with page 12, I can't wait to see what you get up to by the end of the book!

User Info Menu

Here's a chart I made of Fewell Triads + Extentions. I use this to help visualize the relationships between the related triads. It's not the entire circle, but I have them in 5ths since you can also play the minor a 5th higher...ie: over a Cm you can also play the Gm triads.

Google drive link as well as an attachment here.

FewellTriads1.pdf - Google Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I know the group is moving rapidly onward and upwards (I'm rather envious of those on Chapter 4 as that looks like a gem of chapter). I'm keen to stay involved but my foundations are still shaky so I'm sticking around Chapter Two for a little while.

I'm really just starting my jazz journey in earnest and my primary goal is to simply learn the melodies and changes to songs. Distractions to that simple goal, for example by this Study Group, are nice and, I think beneficial - but I need to manage the time spent on them.

Anyway, my main issue with the GF stuff is having the knowledge and ability, the muscle memory and the brain memory, to jump between shapes and triads as the chords change. I can (kind of) fudge this if I always jump to the root on beat 1, but that's not great music. Nevertheless, that's my current position.

So whilst you guys are forging on I'm practicing the basic shapes (not even the triads from the second half of Chapter Two) against all the minor and major chords of these songs I'm learning - thereby killing two birds with one stone. Once I'm happy with finding the shapes in real time, I shall move on to the triads, and then finally try and do the same but land on notes other than the root.

Then I'll play catch-up with the group :-)

Here's an example. This is Minor Swing - a nice and simple tune, played in a very non-gypsy way - that should allow me to jump between Am / Dm and C#m (i.e. E major) shapes. Even this I struggle with, hence this need to tread water for a while.

SoundClick

Anyway, I really just wanted to let you all know I'm still here in the group!

Derek

User Info Menu

No need to hurry or trying to "keep up", Derek - take your time. IMO it's a good idea to work through each chapter in depth.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!

I think I should introduce myself. I am a Finnish (male) 59 years of age and very active jazz guitar student. I started playing guitar again 20 months ago after 40 years break. Played in a rock band in 70's and studied for one year mainly Leavitt's Modern Method in a conservatory. But had to finish high school, study, get a family, etc.

For the past 20 months I've taken lessons on a weekly basis. Played Modern Method Vol 1 and 2 and now going through same author's Melodic Rhythms. Once done with that, I plan to study also Vol 3.

Due to the unfortunate break on my lessons, I ordered Fewell's book. I made the backing track for Elle using iRealpro. Recorded the comping and melody using Garageband. Just the melody. I need to practice the triads a little bit more, but planning to add a solo as well. Oh by the way - my guitar is Ibanez AF-200, which I got a couple of weeks ago. Changed from LBG30.

Here you go -

User Info Menu

Welcome to the study group, Vesa - looking forward to your contributions - good job so far!