The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 261

User Info Menu

Nice start, VesaW -- and welcome aboard!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!
    Welcome Vesa! It wasn't too long ago that I posted my first recording as part of a Robert Conti Study Group. It gets easier, but not necessarily easy. I enjoyed your first post. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!
    Welcome, Vesa. Sounds good. We're glad you're with us!

User Info Menu

Hey Everybody!

I'm very late, but i have this book for years and never used it realy. I always thought I had to master some other things first. I loved the sound samples and I loved your videos and tracks. So I decided to get in with you all!

I will start right now.

Greetings from Germany,
    Philipp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    Hey Everybody!

I'm very late, but i have this book for years and never used it realy. I always thought I had to master some other things first. I loved the sound samples and I loved your videos and tracks. So I decided to get in with you all!

I will start right now.

Greetings from Germany,
    Philipp
    Hi Philipp - welcome to the forum and to the study group. Where in Germany are you?

User Info Menu

I'm from Essen, Ruhrgebiet

User Info Menu

So, this evening i worked on Exercise 2.2. and i realised there are 4 permuations (?) through the circle. Do you practiced them all in depth?

User Info Menu

So, this evening i worked on Exercise 2.2. and i realised there are 4 permuations (?) through the circle. Do you practiced them all in depth?
    Yes - they are important - for example where you can place a triplet on three adjacent strings using the rest stroke (sweep picking).
    BTW: I'm located in Hildesheim, 30km south of Hannover.

User Info Menu

I'm working on my triad but i can't find a workout that makes me feel progressing. How did you practice the shapes? Only one triad? Triad + extension?

User Info Menu

I'm working on my triad but i can't find a workout that makes me feel progressing. How did you practice the shapes? Only one triad? Triad + extension?
    Not sure what your problem is. We all (in this study group) practiced them as written in the book, learning where they are located on the fretboard and then try to apllay them to the track at the end of the respective chapter...

User Info Menu

Sorry, my question was not clear enough!

I practiced the triads+extension in the circle of 5th, like GF recommended. But it didn't feel deep enough.

Do you developed some exercisses to practice the triads more in depth, more versataile?

User Info Menu

I think of it as triad + extension.
    In the case of Dm, it extends to Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C.

User Info Menu

I practiced the triads+extension in the circle of 5th, like GF recommended. But it didn't feel deep enough.

Do you developed some exercisses to practice the triads more in depth, more versataile?
    I didn't do that. I practiced with the tracks provided. I tried to really listen how my note choices were sounding against the chords.
    I tried to imitate the phrasing the GF used in his examples.

Maybe you could try to insert the exercises from the earlier part of chapter 3 into the "Hot Saw" solo ?
    See if that works.

User Info Menu

Chapter 2 is just basic training to get the triads and their extensions under your fingers so you will have them ready when you need them to play over a chord progression. Much too early to feel like you are progressing. It's a drill right now and a useful one at that.

User Info Menu

Like Tommo said, it's really just exercises explaining a concept at this point. In Part II it looks like we'll start with more application.

But, I've been doing a lot of that on my own right now. When playing a tune, try putting what you've learned in these simpler exercises to work over a while song.

User Info Menu

I'll jump on the bandwagon of Tommo and Bahnzo - in addition to working through the examples in the book, I work on applying them to songs I'm working on. In my case, that tends to be bluesy/soul-jazz type material: Sugar, Moaning, Bag's Groove, Cornbread, etc.

Doing this helps me get it (or at least parts of it) under my fingers and in my ears better, but it also makes me fall behind the rest of the study group!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    I'll jump on the bandwagon of Tommo and Bahnzo - in addition to working through the examples in the book, I work on applying them to songs I'm working on. In my case, that tends to be bluesy/soul-jazz type material: Sugar, Moaning, Bag's Groove, Cornbread, etc.

Doing this helps me get it (or at least parts of it) under my fingers and in my ears better, but it also makes me fall behind the rest of the study group!
    But it makes you get ahead at the same time because you are applying your knowledge to music.

User Info Menu

I decided to compose some licks based on the two first triads and then i will practice them in the circle of fiths.

I hope so i will feel more comfortable with the material. I dont like the feeling, that i missed something. So i will start right with digging deep. This will be also a good preparation for Elle

User Info Menu

Hey PHN, welcome aboard, mate!

I second all of the suggestions so far. Really, this just takes time and practice to get under your fingers and into your visualisation of the fretboard. Most of us have started out being taught to play in position, so this way of seeing things as triads moving up the fretboard is quite foreign, and will take time.

One thing that I've found very helpful (and that I've probably already mentioned elsewhere) is to start each practice session with a warmup that consists of:
    - Choosing a key, for example, f minor. Choose a different key each day.
    - Playing the triads of the key (Figs. 2.5 and 2.7, plus the two that are missing from 2.7) up and down the fretboard a couple of times. This will only take a minute or two, but helps to orient you.
    - Improvising freely for a few minutes using those triads, moving up and back down the neck. Don't just play the notes, try to make melodies. This is a melodic approach.
    - Once you're comfortable over the root minor, if you have a looper pedal or something, you can play with those same triads over the various substitutions. E.g., Fm over AbMaj, Bb7, Cm, Dm7b5, etc.

Anyway, I think a really important part of nailing this stuff in is giving yourself a chance to really play with it, using play in the true sense of the word. Be easy on yourself: True internalisation takes a while, but it does happen. (And that's why you need to be selective. I've got lines in my playing that I can't stand, but I can't help but play because I drilled them a year ago!)

User Info Menu

I kind of promised a version of Elle with a solo, didn't I?

Improvisation is difficult. As a beginner, one should have mercy on him/herself (as my teacher tells me).
    I have difficulties with triad pairs (to get anything that sounds music). I feel much more comfortable with scales and arpeggios.
    Also having been using old school Leavitt fingerings, the ones presented in the book cause pain.

Here you go -

User Info Menu

Very nice, VesaW. A+!

Definitely sounds like the material from the book, and great timing. Would be good to hear you keep it up for a few runs through and stretch out, take some chances. But plenty of time for that.

Well done, looking forward to your posts going forward!

User Info Menu

Like Jay said: good job!

User Info Menu

Yes I certainly heard the triad pairs towards the end. Great groove.

User Info Menu

Great thread, looking forward to learning more from it!

User Info Menu

Hello there!!!
    I just started the book today and I really enjoying it. My playing is mostly based on chords shapes so I think that this book will give me more options to improvise.
    Last edited by clebergf; 06-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.