The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Alrighty kids!

It seems like there are a few people interested in a Garrison Fewell study group, so I thought it might be good to start a new thread. I'm not sure how often I'll get a chance to post clips, etc., but if others are willing to get involved, I will certainly do my best to keep the ship on course.

There are two books: A Melodic Approach and A Harmonic Approach. I've gone through (and hugely benefitted from) the former a couple of years ago, and have slowly started chipping away at the latter. I'm cool with tackling either, but in my opinion the second book has a steeper learning curve. I think the first one (A Melodic Approach) is more gradual and accessible to a greater number of people, gets you off the ground quicker, and is potentially more conducive to a study group format. And it would probably do me a lot of good to take another crack at it.

So let's hear your thoughts on this. Which book would you prefer? Once we've got that sorted, we can talk structure.

Let's do this.
    Interest in a Garrison Fewell Study Group?-t2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, book 1 first, then onwards from there.

That would seem to be pedagogiacally correct in terms of difficulty level, at least as far as I asses it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Alrighty kids!

It seems like there are a few people interested in a Garrison Fewell study group, so I thought it might be good to start a new thread. I'm not sure how often I'll get a chance to post clips, etc., but if others are willing to get involved, I will certainly do my best to keep the ship on course.

There are two books: A Melodic Approach and A Harmonic Approach. I've gone through (and hugely benefitted from) the former a couple of years ago, and have slowly started chipping away at the latter. I'm cool with tackling either, but in my opinion the second book has a steeper learning curve. I think the first one (A Melodic Approach) is more gradual and accessible to a greater number of people, gets you off the ground quicker, and is potentially more conducive to a study group format. And it would probably do me a lot of good to take another crack at it.

So let's hear your thoughts on this. Which book would you prefer? Once we've got that sorted, we can talk structure.

Let's do this.
    Interest in a Garrison Fewell Study Group?-t2-jpg
    I have both books but I haven’t cracked the binding on either one. I will take your word for it that the Melodic approach book is more approachable.

I would be interested in joining the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Not sure what is all involved but I have just acquired " A Melodic Approach" and have an interest in where you are going with this.

Will

User Info Menu

I have Fewell's Melodic Approach book. I've been working on triads a lot for the Patterns for Jazz study group and am interested in what Fewell does with them. But I've never ventured far into his book. This might be the perfect time for me.

User Info Menu

That's 5. That seems like a quorum.

User Info Menu

I got through a lot of 'a melodic approach' a few years back and have been thinking about going back through it, I'm in!

User Info Menu

Melodic Approach is the one that got me started on jazz guitar a couple of years ago. This study group will be very interesting. I'm in. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    That's 5. That seems like a quorum.
    We've got both a quorum and a consensus. Maybe we should solve Brexit while we're at it?

The next question is structure. There isn't much playing in Chapter 1, so I suggest that we lump it and Chapter 2 together as a start. Do people want a timeline, or should we start with that until people are comfortable to move on?

User Info Menu

Starting with chapter 2 makes sense to me, good call.

In terms of timeline, I'll put in a vote for self-pacing.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    I second the motion for self pacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    Yes and yes.

Not sure if I would participate or how much at this point , but I would throw my $0.02 about schedule out there. Personally, I think that having a clearly defined pace, schedule , and delineation of certain sections or benchmarks is probably the most important factor in study group success on the forum. This is just what I can gather from the most successful study groups I've ever seen : Frank's study groups on the Joe Elliott and William Leavitt books, as well as Lawson and company's study groups on Jimmy Rainey and Robert Conti.

It's just human nature that we do better with some kind of deadline , even if it's arbitrary , even if you miss it or are late etc. it's a large part of what makes it a group. Study groups that are very open formatted have not been successful much at all, as far as I can tell on the forum. Maybe I'm missing them. But there are a lot of examples of study groups that just haven't gone anywhere without a schedule.

My only concern with doing a schedule for patterns for jazz initially was that people would feel too confined to it, and that people would just quit if they weren't "keeping up " . We had some of that , but we've also reiterated the whole time to please post late, join late etc. etc. For the most part, everyone has done a great job of really moving along at their own pace. I try to profusely congratulate and encourage anyone who posts late and joins late honestly.

I think that some kind of schedule , even if it's completely arbitrary , along with the understanding and insistence that people feel free to post later , to post rougher versions , to join later etc. etc Is a pretty good combination for continued success. It can all be as organic as you want it to be. Usually, you kind of poll people on slowing down the pace or whatever.

This is all 100% my personal opinion and doesn't have to be regarded as anything . I was just a great fan of Frank and Lawson's threads. I was off the forum mostly when Frank was doing his study groups, and after reading through them when I came back, had a lot of regret about missing out , as they were really great groups. I just always felt that the schedule itself really led to a sense of community and forward progress for the groups.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 12-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Good post and advice, mattguitarteacher!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

The next question is structure. There isn't much playing in Chapter 1, so I suggest that we lump it and Chapter 2 together as a start. Do people want a timeline, or should we start with that until people are comfortable to move on?
    I like timelines. This could be a tough month to start one: holidays, travel, family visits...it seems no one is on schedule in December! Maybe this is a get-started, where are we? how do we want to do this? month and January will be when the steady rolling starts. (Just a thought. I'm open to whatever suits many willing participants.)

User Info Menu

I kinda like the idea of a timeline I'm not as disciplined as I would like to be so the incentive may work . Never been involved in a study group before so not sure what is realistic . Weekly/bi-weekly/monthly progress reports on each chapter? I am also with Mark that January seems a good time to begin.

Will

User Info Menu

Following.

User Info Menu

Reviewing Chapter 2 I see a big emphasis on fingerings alongside a tune to play along. I'm pretty confident by the end of january most if not all us would be able master the fingerings in all 12 keys. I like the idea of doing each chapter on a monthly basis.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

A couple of vids by Garrison Fewell talking about the approach in the book -

and

both of which I found very informative when I was thinking about buying the book. Hope this helps anyone considering joining the study group.

Will