The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Barry Harris must have been asked about potential 8 7 6 phrases in the past workshops. I am curious about why they never seem to be mentioned in his lessons. I have come up with my own 876 phrases, but I wonder what Harris would prescribe for his choice of 876 phrases.

Per Schenkerian music theory of melody use 5 (4) 3 (2) 1 for melody, but not 6 and 7.
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-08-2019 at 10:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Per Schenkerian music theory of melody.
    I haven't thought about Heinrich since Ronald Regan was POTUS. Which, coincidentally, was when I was in music school!

I wonder if the Ursatz of all tonal jazz is ii-V-I ?

User Info Menu

Schenker - isn’t that something Americans get subjected to at college for some reason that no one else gives a **** about? Like Moby Dick?

“All music is reducible to V-I” what? Why? Who cares? How does that help? Please go away, you strange man.

Anyway, I have no idea why Barry doesn’t have those phrases. I suspect even Barry doesn’t.

I have to say the 5 4 3 2 1 phrase as with all BH stuff relates directly to language... you could listen to different players, maybe come up with slightly different ones.

One thing I play a lot is this 1 b7 2 (#)4 6 (with a pivot), which is a minor 4 phrase transposed to the 5th. Which is the important minor...

Which makes me think, scales can be built in tetrachords (indeed they used to sing the scale do re mi fa sol re mi do back in Mozart’s time) so you could just do the same stuff off the fifth of the chord. There are examples of this type of thing elsewhere in BH’s teaching, for instance running a G6-dim scale on C6 and so on.

So your 8 7 6 phrases would then be the 3 2 1 running off the fifth. But I have no idea of Barry actually teaches this.
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-04-2019 at 03:42 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=christianm77;981505]Schenker - isn’t that something Americans get subjected to at college for some reason that no one else gives a **** about? Like Moby Dick?

“All music is reducible to V-I” what? Why? Who cares? How does that help? Please go away, you strange man.

Haha - but I really do hope you you jest! "Everything is V - I" - at least as far a functional tonal music (including most jazz styles) is the single most important thing I learned in music school! And yeah, it was that damn Schenker book...

And what's your beef with Moby Dick? ...

876 phrases
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-08-2019 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=princeplanet;981569]
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Schenker - isn’t that something Americans get subjected to at college for some reason that no one else gives a **** about? Like Moby Dick?

Haha - but I really do hope you you jest! "Everything is V - I" - at least as far a functional tonal music (including most jazz styles) is the single most important thing I learned in music school! And yeah, it was that damn Schenker book...

And what's your beef with Moby Dick? ...
    A tale of maritime obsession and vengeance somewhat leavened with screeds of obsolete marine biology?

The only schenker we have in Europe is Michael schenker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

If you only have one, THAT'S the one to have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Just curious, where are these from?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=christianm77;981627]
    Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet

A tale of maritime obsession and vengeance somewhat leavened with screeds of obsolete marine biology?

Crib notes for the time challened Millenial:

Schenker - Everything is V - I

Moby Dick - Everything is Love - Hate

... there ya go kids, no need to read either of those damn books, or any other one really ...

User Info Menu

Like Moby Dick?
    Don't touch Moby Dick!

Believe it is not the only one you have.... I work in f.... DB Schenker.... and it seem it is just everywhere in Europe whenever I come...

User Info Menu

Schenker - everything is V -I
    IIRC, the dogma was applied to only tonal music and asserted that the music of western Europe could be reduced to mi, re, do. So ii-9, V, flat VI would suffice.

That knowledge and 25¢ got me a ride on any Boston-area MTA train in 1980.

Last edited by Michael Neverisky; 10-07-2019 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

In Barry's language, the 8 phrase you have would be a pivot. And the 7, assuming C dominant scale, follows his prescription for chromatic scales.

No?

Yes, a “pivot”
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-08-2019 at 10:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Just curious, where are these from?
    Seems to be from this thread:

54321 - Barry Harris - Theory and Technique - Basschat

EDIT: Sorry it's not, also that page seems to be kind of broken.

From 7th: Bb D F A (b7 9 11 13) (Honeysuckle Rose lick, if you put a C in front)
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-08-2019 at 10:56 PM.