The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TommyD
    Mimi Fox sings when she solos.
    I love what John Pizz does. He must have worked like hell to get that down. Just making the decision as to what verbalization to use is a pain; do you use 'da', 'ba', 'da-ba', 'la-la-la'? What?
    Herb Ellis (RIP) recommended it. K. Jarrett would probably stop if he could.
    When I do it, crazily enough, it's out of key! Go figure!
    Very likely, if we did it into a mike so it could be heard, we'd sing on key.

Pavarotti (not)
    To my knowledge Herb is not dead, but he is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To me, it is not too difficult to sing along to changes that are diatonic, where the melody you sing is diatonic as well. However, when I hear a bit of chromaticism over a diatonic progression, I can't really hear the exact notes I want, I just know chromaticism would sound nice at a particular point, and even if I could hear the exact notes, I find it very difficult to hit those chromatic notes while singing, since my ear wants my voice to stay inside the key. The same applies to altered dominant chords. I know I want a tense super locrian or harmonic minor-derived line, yet I can't really hear the exact notes I want, and I couldn't sing such dissonant notes from the diatonic key center. All I could do is define the range I want the line to fall in. How do you guys approach these situations?

TommyD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derek
    To my knowledge Herb is not dead, but he is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.
    I did not know that! God, that's awful. It's even worse than death. What a way to go - being a total burden on those around you in every aspect of your daily life. Bottom line? You're better off (as are those who love you) if you die.

Tommy/