Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I am 5 weeks in but as an adult, I am finding it difficult to do 6 days a week, the first time I tried it last year I got through Week 1, then during Week 2 I cut my finger chopping vegetables and then my cat became ill and died. I should have done this when I was in my 20s at GIT. Argh...

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Is it helpful?

    What do you use as a guide?
    MG

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Is it helpful?

    What do you use as a guide?
    Yes. I am making progress. I am using the book as a guide, I am probably one of the few people left on earth that still has the book. I went to GIT in the 80s. Thinking about doing it every other day, I am mostly a classical guitarist and have limited time to practice and I feel my classical playing has been suffering a bit.
    Last edited by ES137; 06-21-2019 at 08:54 AM.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I'd like to try that course. It's out of print and there are some old pdf download links that don't work. Anyone have a link that works?

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsct View Post
    I'd like to try that course. It's out of print and there are some old pdf download links that don't work. Anyone have a link that works?
    Howard Robert's ultimate jazz guitar course is the 3 volume "Praxis System" which he released a good while after "Super Chops".

    "The Praxis System" does have some of the "Super Chops" exercises in it - and an enormous amount more!

    Regards,
    Steven Herron

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsct View Post
    I'd like to try that course. It's out of print and there are some old pdf download links that don't work. Anyone have a link that works?
    have a look on kupdf.net

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    I have a thread here on the forum where I ran the entire course. I also had enough interest and inertia so it was followed by a year of standards and tunes with the same approach.
    Others have started the program here but to my knowledge, the OPs there did not complete the course of their threads.
    If you find the one I ran, it has essentially the whole book and chronicles the journey of the group of us that took it from start to finish.
    A few takeaways: It is a commitment and learning is not as linear or optimistically predictable as HR would have us believe, at least not for all. It may take longer but it's a great program.
    The given chordal parts are great but for some, it's an obstacle to getting to the linear aspect of the program. No shame in providing your own essential chordal voicings, as a matter of fact, it's a great parallel learning process.
    It's easier to do this as a group. There is great value in the feedback and encouragement of others.
    Don't take it lightly. Don't give up. Even if it takes longer than you thought.
    Listen to people who have good time and strive to be aware of the feel of playing as well as the notes.
    Take the time over this course to develop an ability to hear and play by ear.

    Yeah, check out my thread I began with the priceless support of those who did it and provided feedback. It can be really insightful.

    David

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ES137 View Post
    I am 5 weeks in but as an adult, I am finding it difficult to do 6 days a week, the first time I tried it last year I got through Week 1, then during Week 2 I cut my finger chopping vegetables and then my cat became ill and died. I should have done this when I was in my 20s at GIT. Argh...
    Howard Roberts Super Chops: study group for a tune based practice routine

    Some class notes from a group of us a while ago, if you're curious
    David

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    What followed based on this template was a yearlong journey based on the HR formula
    Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?

    If you're curious
    David

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz View Post
    What followed based on this template was a yearlong journey based on the HR formula
    Commit to a song a week. What could a serious student hope to learn?

    If you're curious
    David
    Thanks David, I am having some success (and yes even some fun) I am streamlining the process, thanks to modern technology (loopers) I only have to play through the progression once then play it back for 10 minutes on the looper, also I record the next day's progression at the next day's tempo, about to wrap up Week VI, week VII is review and then I start the triplet exercises, I will check out your thread.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    I went through this book many years ago, mid ‘80s I think. I still have the book. It was very useful for building technique, speed and mastering my arpeggio shapes.
    Nowadays when I want to work on similar exercises I use the iReal app as backing and set it to increase in tempo every chorus and also move around the cycle of fifths. It makes a great warm-up routine.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I went through the program start to finish a couple summers ago. One thing that's especially nice about the program is that it gets you actually improvising for lots and lots of time. Many other systems or programs or what have you tend to give you a ton of material but don't build-in time to actually put it to use. I suppose they figure that's up to the student, and that's somewhat fair, but I think many of us struggle with taking ideas and putting them into practice. That Howard's program puts that front and center is a boon in my opinion. On the flipside, he doesn't give you very much material! I could see running Superchops in parallel with something like Randy Vincent's Cellular Approach. The latter provides an abundance of stuff to shed, the former provides a framework for actually doing the shedding.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Finished Week VII (review) and as I said at the outset that as an older adult, it is nearly impossible to do it every day as Roberts insists, life has once again gotten in the way, my father is in hospice and not long for this earth, I will probably have to take a break, see this out and pick up with Week VIII when I can. I did get seven uninterrupted weeks in however.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by huntermacd View Post
    I went through the program start to finish a couple summers ago. One thing that's especially nice about the program is that it gets you actually improvising for lots and lots of time. Many other systems or programs or what have you tend to give you a ton of material but don't build-in time to actually put it to use. I suppose they figure that's up to the student, and that's somewhat fair, but I think many of us struggle with taking ideas and putting them into practice. That Howard's program puts that front and center is a boon in my opinion. On the flipside, he doesn't give you very much material! I could see running Superchops in parallel with something like Randy Vincent's Cellular Approach. The latter provides an abundance of stuff to shed, the former provides a framework for actually doing the shedding.
    Do you feel that it helped? Did you do it everyday as Roberts insists? I have noticed some improvement, mostly "aha moments" where things click...