The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

I think this fits in well with this part of the book. I played through the cycle of 5ths, chord and then the dom 7th arp. I did this where I stayed in the same part of the neck so as to hit all five positions that Elliot shows in the book. I went far enough to hit all positions and then some. I took liberties at the end including a penatonic run which I think lives just fine along side the arps.

I hope this is self explanatory for those that want to go in this direction. If not, let me know and I'll explain further.

My blues sensibilities/tastes are more in line with Robben Ford and Larry Carlton than with the jazzier blues players. I don't think that matters though for this.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's gone a bit quiet here but I'm just piping up to say I'm still plugging at it. Have now moved onto Chap 5 trying to do the ii-V-I exercises. Slow progress but necessary.

User Info Menu

I'm still at it as well; I've got all four situations relatively smooth, though slow (60-70bpm).

I'll be off travelling for a few weeks so won't be checking in, but will continue on when I get back. Happy practicing!

User Info Menu

I'm still starting my practice sessions with the major ii-V-I connecting game on page 15 at 60 bpm.

I've also been trying the connecting game over a Bb blues (also 60 bpm) since I'm working on blues stuff for my weekly lessons. It's tough, but I'm getting better at it.

This may just be due to my lack of skill, but it feels like I'm getting more ear training out of this than anything. You start to hear the interval needed to make the change and do it instinctively...or by muscle memory I suppose. This is obvious, but still seems strange to me. All this work to get away from noodling and playing by ear, but really it's just training us to noodle and play by ear better.

I feel bad for not having posted a video yet, so I'll try to do that soon. Not sure what that video will be yet.

Things have gotten quiet, but it seems that most of us are still working on the material in some capacity. Would we like to get back together on a specific 'assignment' for the upcoming week?

User Info Menu

Hi Ben, All,

Just joining this thread and study group. I am new to the forum. I have been working on Situations 1-4 in F and A. Based on this study group I decided to go back and work on chapters 2 and 3 this week.

Thanks for all of the good information so far.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    I'm still starting my practice sessions with the major ii-V-I connecting game on page 15 at 60 bpm.

I've also been trying the connecting game over a Bb blues (also 60 bpm) since I'm working on blues stuff for my weekly lessons. It's tough, but I'm getting better at it.

This may just be due to my lack of skill, but it feels like I'm getting more ear training out of this than anything. You start to hear the interval needed to make the change and do it instinctively...or by muscle memory I suppose. This is obvious, but still seems strange to me. All this work to get away from noodling and playing by ear, but really it's just training us to noodle and play by ear better.

I feel bad for not having posted a video yet, so I'll try to do that soon. Not sure what that video will be yet.

Things have gotten quiet, but it seems that most of us are still working on the material in some capacity. Would we like to get back together on a specific 'assignment' for the upcoming week?
    It's more fun with assignments and group goals, even if they're purely arbitrary -and even if people are late etc.

Make a tentative schedule. Feel free to backpedal and adjust as you go. The most successful old study group threads have very clear benchmarks, goals, timelines etc...

I did a lot of work on the minor 1625's the last few weeks, as I hadn't done them much at ALL the other times. It's good stuff. Having done this material before, I really consider most of it ear training.

If you're new to this process, I think it's important to understand that the practice room thought/mindset that you use in the beginning isn't the same as how you eventually do these. It's not merely a faster version of the thought process later. It's a completely DIFFERENT process.

It's somewhat helpful to just let go and let the exercise be what it is without judgment.

User Info Menu

Hi everybody,

I am still hanging in here and practice my arpeggios. I typically practice them all over the fretboard and do triads as well as 7-chords with either a backing track or a metronome. Backing track is more fun (I tried a few things from jazz to hard-rock for the fun of it). The muscle memory definitely returns but the chops still aren't what they once were. There is no time for a video at the moment, but I am definitely continuing to study.

I have decided that I don't want to stick to strict alternate picking. It took me such a long time to get rid of it (and it has overall helped me a lot) that to untrain what I did train seems counterproductive. I have tried something version of economy and gypsy picking. The economy is more precise, the gypsy picking is faster. I went up to 180 bpm but then it falls apart rather quickly and most of the time I do 90 - 110 bpm.

have fun everybody!
    Cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Hi there,
    I've been lurking on this thread, as I have recently bought this book. I've just started on chapter 5 practicing situation 1, hoping to get comfortable with stituations 1-4 pattern 1 over the next month or so. I'm quite impressed by this book, it seems like a well thought out logical approach. I've been practicing CAGED type major patterns recently, but struggling a bit to extend the approach to minor/mm etc, so this book seems to do exactly what I need. I think it will take me a long time to get through, judging by my clam-filled efforts even at painfully slow tempo

User Info Menu

Still plugging away on the various ii-V-I forms, a little every day. It's slow but I am determined to continue even if my pace means I'll still be at it this time next year!

User Info Menu

I'm still focusing on blues forms in my private lessons and I'm still doing the connecting game (steady 1/8ths, closest chord tone) on blues as part of my practice routine. Also doing some kind of modified versions. Like 1/8ths but with an approach tone going to the new chord, and with an enclosure going to the new chord.
    I really like the basic exercise as a way to practice different things like that. And I think it might actually be helping! My teacher seems to have been impressed with my soloing the last few lessons. And I feel like I'm keeping track of changes better in my head.

User Info Menu

I'm back this week from travelling and diving into this stuff again. I was surprised to find that I was able to pick up pretty well where I left off, and these four situations are feeling relatively smooth and comfortable (if not fast) at this point.

I could use another week or so on this section, and then I'd be happy to move on to the next chapter(s) whenever the rest of you are.

User Info Menu

Hey folks, I'm now feeling fairly confident and smooth (with the occasional flub) with the four situations at a moderate tempo, so I think I'm going to move on to the next chapter. Looks like it is basically the same idea in a new position... back to square one!

User Info Menu

Just back from vacation -- picking these back up....had no access to a guitar for 2 weeks and it shows but will keep plugging away.

User Info Menu

Well it's pretty obvious that I'm a terrible group leader. I have been using the connecting game on other things, but haven't been back to the book lately.
    It seems like Jehu is still going on the book...that's great!
    Odel, are you picking these back up from the beginning?
    My private lessons teacher had me working on blues for a while, and I used the connecting game through that. This week he's had me learning rhythm changes, so I've been working on the connecting game over that....just the A section so far.
    The connecting game is cool. It definitely pounds the changes into your head (and hands) and it's cool to see the similarities from song to song...or form to form I suppose. Like how IV to #IVdim move that you get in both the blues and rhythm changes. I can hear that change coming from a mile away at this point.
    I'm back in college (at 42) trying to get a degree. It takes so much of my time that I struggle to keep a consistent practice routine. I've been able to be a little more consistent the last couple of weeks since my fall semester started. Hopefully I can stick with it.
    While the study group hasn't gone great, I'm glad we still seem to be getting something out of it.

User Info Menu

I think the study group is going fine, maybe it's just that the exercises are fairly open-ended, and need weeks or even months of work rather than days. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the first major/minor patterns (not enough that I'm going to post a video though) I started on another pattern, then realised it wasn't the one suggested in the book, so I've sort of practiced three major/minor patterns. I think I will carry on for another month or so before moving on to the next chapter, also trying to practice over some tunes (love for sale, girl from Ipanema). That's plenty to keep me busy for a while!
    Good luck with the degree - finished mine when I was 49

User Info Menu

Agree - the group is going fine -- it's up to us to keep it active, not one person which is why I updated. I'm not entirely going back to square one, a couple of hours have me back in the groove on the connecting game for the first position, will keep that going over the weekend and try to add the next chapters from here. All good Morroben...I have you to thank for getting me going

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    It seems like Jehu is still going on the book...that's great!
    Actually, I've jumped ship, haha. I had been working on some other things before, and when this group started up it seemed like a fun thing to throw in on the side if other people were doing it. But after a while it seemed like I was on my own around here, so I just went back to focusing on my other things again.

By the way, if any of you like this sort of thing but would rather be playing tunes, I feel like I got a lot out of Howard Roberts' Superchops program. It is not for the faint of heart, but is a somewhat similar approach to the connecting game: playing through changes using straight 8ths (and later triplets).

User Info Menu

OK, am moving on to Chap 6. First thing I notice is that the fully written out Pattern III is not provided, only the specific ii-V-I shapes for the major, and same for Pattern 4 minor. No biggie but I'll have to write those out for myself just to be clear. Second, handling the fingering on the V and I shapes for Pattern III major. I don't really like sliding back to pick up the 3rd in the Dom shape or the 7th in the Maj shape on the 3rd string as I have learned previously to stretch my pinky out enough. Actually, I don't mind it ascending but it feels awkward to me descending. All to say, this chapter raises a couple of new challenges for me but I'll persist here. How does anyone else here prefer to handle the fingering on those shapes?

User Info Menu

Ok, a year on.....how's everybody doing?

I picked the book up again this evening after a few years and started writing a few ii V I 's with 4maj7 sub, altered, 1 arps. Very fun.