Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello again!
    Last time I did one of these I got a lot of feedback on my rythem. I was too floaty with my lines. I really wanted to develop more swing in my playing (yes I know the backing track is a samba) and outline the changes more accurately. I have been working on rhythmic patterns in my solos. I think I have improved but my playing still doesn't feel authentic. How do I get that real jazz feel? This is just improv over the changes. No head. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jasper

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think you need to leave a lot more space and try to play more phrases. Also I'm not hearing the influence of any jazz vocabulary...having some of those cliched ideas can help ground things. Not sure how much you listen to jazz but I would encourage doing more listening and then when you play, play fewer notes with more clarity and space.

The time is also vague but that will develop as you practice and improve. Playing fewer notes and leaving more space will help with that.

User Info Menu

SPACE: When I was organizing clinics for young improvisers we would hit a school once and maybe never again.

That mean I could sometimes say, "Work on space. I'll see you in two years."

DEVELOPMENT: Working on space also helps you to develop ideas, rather than just hurling them out and forgetting each one immediately. Practice -- practice, not gig -- starting your next phrase using the last three pitches of the previous phrase. Change the note length if you want to but use the pitches as a launch pad.

Doing that requires you to listen to yourself, which is the key to playing intentionally! Also, because those pitches might not be your first choice for the new chord you're on, you are compelled to abandon you 'same regular stuff,' visit some unexpected places and work with the results.

DYNAMICS: Maybe it's a result of internet compression, but I'm just not hearing any dynamic changes in your playing. "Don't overlook the obvious" as you try to build excitement across your solo.

Or don't. I'm just some figment on the internet. Play on & have fun!
    "Don't worry about that. Everybody talks about finding your voice. Do your homework and your voice will find you." - Branford Marsalis

User Info Menu

we would hit a school once and maybe never again
    Sounds like Gordon Ramsay

User Info Menu

Same as coolvinny. You need to think more arpeggios than pentatonics. Rock is more pentatonic-based, which sounds like yours. Jazz is more arpeggio-based, which is how they get that up and down sound.

What was in your head when you were soloing? How did you work it out?

User Info Menu

I like the tone. The notes are speaking well.

I don't think you're phrasing with the rhythm track. It sounds too random.

My suggestion: First off, you have to decide if you're playing samba or swing. The phrasing isn't the same.

I'd suggest switching to a swing backing track. Then, pretend to be Frank Sinatra. Stand there, snapping your fingers on 2 and 4 and sing the melody, exaggerating the old fashioned swing feel as best you can. It may help to try to imitate the ride cymbal da, dada, dah. Then, scat sing, placing notes only where the ride cymbal plays. Then, fill the spaces.

When you can feel that mid 50's Sinatra thing (listen, say, to "Come Fly With Me", if you need to hear it), and scat sing that way, then get that phrasing on the guitar. Just a few notes. Don't add more until you can feel the swing.

The point is that this is not about your guitar playing. It's about the ability to feel that groove and then put that feel on the guitar with the chops you clearly already have.

User Info Menu

Shorten up the phrases and concentrate on getting in pocket. Your time is all over the place. Many of the note choices sound weird less because of their harmonic relationship and more because the time is off.

It sounds like you're thinking about scales. You might want to spend some time with more chromatic approaches/enclosures of chord tones...its an old school way of playing, and my gut tells me you're after a more modern thing, but I kinda think you need to spend some time on the older way of approaching things because you'll learn a lot of things that will spill over into your more modern styled playing.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Thank you everyone! Great feedback all around. Of course when you point it out all these things seem obvious but it can feel so hard to remember them while playing. I will get back to shedding.
    cheers,
    J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoldsmack View Post
    I will get back to shedding.
    cheers,
    J
    I would not get back to shedding; that is too much what your video already has the sound of... as a Strat player myself, I find it very exciting to plug in and play even after many years. But excitement can lead to playing too much, too fast, too far ahead of one's ear, etc. Once that happens quality control is lost.

I would recommend taking a different approach, which emphasizes developing quality and maintaining quality control, and may help space, phrasing, rhythm and vocabulary.

Something like:

- don't start with a backing track
    - sit down with just the guitar, no amp
    - play the first couple of chords of the song
    - work out some lines, phrases, riffs, motifs...
    - when your lines begin to express the harmony, think of some others that do also
    - listen to them, compare them, figure out why they work
    - think about how to make a line stay cohesive as it plays from one chord to the next
    - think of lines that stay cohesive over the GDS intro
    - let the spacing and phrasing of the lines help you keep your timing and rhythm
    - work like this, no amp, no backing track, until you have ideas for a whole section
    - plug in first and get to where the ideas flow and integrate
    - then try just that section with backing track and test the ideas
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

I had similar issue. Strangely it starts to go away just by being aware of this. Takes time and a lot of confidence about the harmony. What helped me was trying to think ahead a bit more - the attention focused on the next bar(s), not only on just whats going on currently.

User Info Menu

If you want to get a real jazz feel, go to records that you love that have that feel and learn them with your ears. Learn to play their solos, their ways of interpreting the melody, their chords/comping figures. Most if not all the answers lie in the great recordings.