The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84

User Info Menu

I think it also comes from the idea of 'approximation' (as Bill Evans called it and demonstrated in interview)...
    students hear something and try to approximate it generally.
    And when they do so rythm usually just completely escapes their attention, because in approximation they try to reproduce the overall sound and rythm seems secondary.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Chris77,

I think you know that I'm all about Audiation!

So what books by, like, um, Edwin E. Gordon would you recommend?

There's, like, many books, that like, look totally awesome.

Learning Sequences in Music I think is his best known work

Gordon actually coined the term audiation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Audiation means hearing something, in advance of playing it, in your mind? Or is there another, or more detailed, definition?

I don't understand the idea of audiating an entire solo. Does that mean I've heard, in my mind, three choruses of Stella before I start soloing? What about 4 bars?

What happens to interaction between the musicians?

I must be missing something.
    Audiation is aural imagination, like visualisation but auditory.

I think the idea is you work on audiation in isolation. Remember Gordon is primarily a classical musician. He’s thinking more compositionally.

I don’t think it’s so cut and dried on the bandstand. However audiation is important to the process of improvisation. That’s why we transcribe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    how about the triplet-itis that a lot of learning jazz players tend to use as a default? It manifests in a janky exaggerated triplet swing feel that I have consciously fought out of my own playing (it still creeps in if I'm not careful). That rhythmic disposition seems to be very much a plight of many an amateur guitar player at jam sessions I've frequented in my own circles. As in, guitarists often play a bunch of triplets instead of eighth note lines or double time lines. I wonder why it is so prevalent? Once again, I fall victim to that janky feel and rhythm in my own playing as well.
    Tell me about it.

I think that’s one think this needs analysis tries to address. Players are often taught often that jazz lines are strings of notes rather than rhythmic phrases.

Many players struggle with medium tempo single time.

Feel wise as a soloist one has to get used to playing behind while catching the upbeats. It can feel very weird doing this at first, but I’ve got some great results from students. Feel the swing upbeats and play legato and even. You’ll feel like you are stretching it out like elastic. It’s a very relaxed feeling.

Also 1/4 triplets are big and clever.

Uptempo and double time is much easier if you have the chops because it’s much closer to straight 16ths. So you can fake it (hey that’s what Barry said Stitt did !)

This is I think why a lot of modern jazz avoids medium tempo - it’s the absolute test of whether a player can really swing. Plus you don’t have the dancers to call you on it when it’s not good to dance too :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Parker seems like an obvious place to start as he is the originator of bebop, remains source for most of the rhythmic phrases we use in jazz today, and was certainly one the music’s most rhythmically imaginative improvisers.
    Or perhaps, at least for guitarists, Charlie Christian.

User Info Menu

"'Now I'm at the point where I'm not happy with my time (I doubt I ever will be), but I can hear what the problems because - I knew what I meant to play."

--Chris77

I thought I was the only one that did that.

I agree with RP and Chris77. Time feel and rhythm, are inseparable. When you are imagining what a great rhythm sounds like, you are also injecting the time feel of the player that you want to model.

In my case, I use Cannonball and Billy Bean as my models. They both have infectious time feels. And Cannonball plays rhythm like no one else. I love Parker as well, but Cannonball pops in my opinion.

Here's another question. When you are imagining sound in your head, do you hear just the rhythms and add notes or do you hear rhythm and notes simultaneously. The reason that I sing and train my ear contextually as much as I do is so I can move beyond hearing the notes and make the rhythms and time more clear.

User Info Menu

I hear them at the same time. I can sing the phrase I want to play. I 'd have to think about it to extract the rhythm and tap it. I couldn't easily sing the notes out of time.

Christian .. I don't know if this will make sense to others, but I was reacting to the part about beats and triplets. Speaking solely from my own journey, I didn't get much out of that kind of practice. I can already scat sing rhythms better than I can play them without scat singing. So, for me, it isn't working on this bit of vocabulary or that. It's imagining a good line and then getting it to pop and crackle - time-feel - when I play it.

User Info Menu

I hear them at the same time. I can sing the phrase I want to play. I 'd have to think about it to extract the rhythm and tap it. I couldn't easily sing the notes out of time.

Christian .. I don't know if this will make sense to others, but I was reacting to the part about beats and triplets. Speaking solely from my own journey, I didn't get much out of that kind of practice. I can already scat sing rhythms better than I can play them without scat singing. So, for me, it isn't working on this bit of vocabulary or that. It's imagining a good line and then getting it to pop and crackle - time-feel - when I play it.
    Beats and triplets - was that in my reply to Irez?

A lot of people want to (or can only) discuss their own journey, while for me it’s about having a diverse tool kit that can help a student get better. It’s really no more complicated than that.

There’s lots of great informal jazz advice about time/feel, including your own, but it has taken a long time for me to collate ideas and form a general framework in the commonalities of advice between different educators. There are disagreements, but there is more agreement when you dig right down. (The general framework allows me to understand better what each thing addresses and to come up with my own variations.)

I see my job in relation to the intermediate jazz student as something of a language coach. The player has to be playing with other musicians, preferably ones better than them, to advance, but I can make suggestions to improve their accent and idiom, suggest listening material, reading material and of course tunes to learn.

The advice on triplets etc as draws from classic jazz advice from musicians like Peter Bernstein, Charles MacPherson and so on.

Which would mean nothing if it didn’t work. But it does work.

Getting a student to do this immediately fixes the number one feel problem of learning jazzers - even some accomplished players who listen, transcribe and work with a metronome a lot - overdotting, while ensuring they are still catching the upbeat and swinging - rather than simply playing straight on swing (which is another colour we can use.)

I can’t tell you how common this problem is even among some accomplished (uni level) players. I had it myself, of course. To the student it feels in a totally different zone, so there is some resistance to it at first. It might not stick without some teacherly nagging, but they can do it usually right away.

I’ll take that to the bank.

(I’m not claiming anything revolutionary here BTW. This exercise is not my idea)

Of course, jazz musicians refer to this feeling as ‘the pocket’. A teacher that can help a student find this, is IMO, doing their job.

You may well not have this issue (I haven’t heard you play) which would be why this advice seems superfluous to you.

The job of the teacher when it comes to time/feel as I see it, is to encourage the student to explore the relationship between the external nature (for instance in recording) of their playing to the internal feelings and perceptions when they play. I’m sure you’ve had the same experience when critiquing your own playing - ‘hey that seemed in time when I played it, but actually it’s fractionally on top!’ or ‘I didn’t notice but I’m rushing that phrase there’ and so on.

That said your ear needs to get used to looking out for these things.
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-24-2019 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Possibly... I would say this was true of me, for sure.

However, some people just have trouble thinking of rhythmic phrases at all.

I think this is right. People recognize the rhythm of musical phrase but most (at least, most beginners and many intermediate players) don't regard that rhythm as something in itself.

One way to learn this is old fashioned: take a melody you know, then change the notes (pitches) of it. I think this is how early jazz players tended to start out as soloists. (Both in the sense of taking a chorus that "played off the melody," which is to say, kept the rhythm---at least in rough outline---but changed the pitches, and in terms of starting to learn to improvise. The template is the rhythm.)

Frank Vignola stresses this in his teaching.

User Info Menu

the whole other part i cant see much of in the educational system is , in improvisation, how do you get intouch with your instinct , intuition and subconcious to harness it to your playing?

this is a huge huge subject to address ,and so fundimental to jazz playing

User Info Menu

My perspective, as an ear player, which I submit for inclusion in your analysis, is that this problem likely emerges from abstracting rhythm as a separate component from pitch and harmony.

For a self taught ear player, the musical objects are phenomenological Gestalts - any pitches or harmonies are intrinsically and necessarily made manifest by rhythm. Even when rubatoing one's way through a new song to become familiar with how it goes, the pitches and chords have beginnings, duration, ends, and separation. The things are heard, grasped, internalized, played, and ultimately performed as wholes, from the beginning and throughout.

In the canonical teaching of formal music, strangely enough, this same thing is true - a note in the score is always an indicated duration by virtue of the type of intrinsic mark (whole, half, quarter, etc.) and additional marks (dots, triplet numeral, ties, etc.).

In the informal lesson environment it is irresitably common practice to separate rhythm as in independent component for examination, practice, and study. For the student, the pitch and harmony space is multidimensional and the attachment or dependence to the score prolongs the transition to grasping melody and chords by ear. However, the separated abstracted rhythm is fairly one dimensional (if you don't consider all the Italian words, marks, and symbols all over the score indicating phrasing, volume, style, etc.).

So, I think in the lesson environment the student will come to hear and learn the rhythm component by ear long before the melody and chord components. (Think of the times you have seen a group playing where everyone has a book on a stand, except the drummer... why is that?) So thinking about how they might play, they might be reading or thinking of what to play, but the way that is played (rhythm) is done by ear (like the drummer)... like the wonderful quote about coming up with a rhythm and then putting some notes on it. The rhythm is first because it is by ear, but then one switches mode to figure out what notes to play in that rhythm.

Now imagine four guitarists:

1 - plays by reading/thinking both notes and rhythms (pure state)
    2 - plays by reading/thinking notes but plays rhythms by ear (mixed state)
    3 - plays notes by ear but reads/thinks rhythm (mixed state)
    4 - plays both notes and rhythms by ear (pure state)

Type 1 and type 4 look coherent and I would expect that helps or even enables a high level of performance.
    Type 2, cross mixing in constant requirement of continuous conscious abstracted integration, represents maybe most out there.
    Type 3, rare (?), lucky studio work where one already knows the song, but artist adapting it to their own style?
    Last edited by pauln; 04-24-2019 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

The players I like all have great time-feel and melodic gifts. If you ask them how they developed these skills, some will mention metronome practice and some won't. Some who recommend it to their students don't actually do it themselves, and never have. I've never heard anybody attribute it specifically to exercises, although it may be that progress is so subtle that a player may not be fully aware of the nature of the acquisition of the skill. One thing they all seem to have in common is that they were very good even as teenagers.

Since I've never taught intermediate jazz players, I'm relying on my own experience and my impressions from being around musicians for many years. I think that improving time feel is difficult. I know, very well, a player who practices regularly with a metronome with no apparent benefit. I've found the issue frustrating in my own playing, with just a few things producing some progress. The following occur to me as having helped.

1. Playing percussion instruments. I had a lesson with a drummer some time ago who demonstrated a samba beat with a small shaker. None of the students could make it sound the same. I recorded it and listened to it quite a bit, trying to feel it the way he did. I actually think that helped. Understanding that the position of the "notes" must vary with tempo also helped. Now, I keep a shaker handy (and, often, some other hand percussion instruments) and I play them instead of comping, at times. It's easy to tell when I'm on the beat -- the drummer doesn't look angry.

2. Recording rehearsals, jams and gigs and critiquing the time. I got better at hearing where I was in relation to other players (too often, a couple of nanoseconds behind) and worked at trying to feel where other musicians started the notes. For that matter, focusing on how different players release notes was also helpful.

3. Playing with the very best players I could. It is very hard to have great time with a wobbly rhythm section. It holds you back. I am reminded of Gladwell's "Outliers" in which he described the path taken by Canadian Hockey players -- the issue being that the more talented kids got funneled into the better leagues. This afforded them the best opportunities for growth - for years.

4. Recognizing the all-too-frequent error of making the notes more important than the time. I hear this all the time, even from pros (hopefully, on bad nights). No matter how great the melodic concept, it's no good if the time isn't right. Very easy mistake to make, and you have to listen for it on the recordings I mentioned above.

5. Reminding myself to sing as I solo. That improves rhythmic vocabulary instantly, compared to not singing.

6. This last one may sound strange. Giving up. A few years ago, in recognition of the reality that I didn't have all that many years left as a player, I stopped trying to do certain things that had eluded me for years. It turned out that my time was better when I was playing the sort of idea that occurs to me spontaneously, rather than chasing a sound that was a stretch.

I'll try to think of more. Perhaps others can chime in on the topic of what actually improved their time feel.

7. Here's another one. I'm less sure about this one. Playing without another chord instrument. I play a lot with piano. In that situation, the pianist really affects how the guitarist comps and solos. It can reduce freedom and increase opportunities for problems, depending on the pianist's skill and style. I think it may help a guitarist to express his/her time feel without a comping instrument influencing it, at least part of the time.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-24-2019 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

rpjazz guitar, i like all your points

"playing percusion " ..absolutly, this is everything im aluding to about the ketu candomble percusion. im not expecting anyone to go as deep as ive gone. but even thinking about it, how profound these rhythm concepts are, how they are the the blueprints for so many jazz evolutions and phrasings and writings , will go a long way to working on how to get a philosophy on how to play jazz

redording gigs and reherasals , absolutly , a very good idea, just to hear how we are. we dont know how we truley sound when we play, we have to hear a recording , or video , even then it can not be the best , but, it definitly helps to gouge your progress as a player

playing with better players , definitly big deal ...i sought out older players , in the places this music was innovated. big thing . i went to live in new york to be closer to bebop, clave and hip hop, i lived in rio to really be close to samba, recife to learn maracatu and coco and salvador to learn ketu and bloco afro. it related to business , in some of the places and id extend longer to learn there

yes , i heartily concur that time is more important than notes . i would even extend that to say that not just good time , but, being in and understanding groove. good time is one thing, you can have incredable time , but if the groove of a samba , for instance , comes in on the anticipation, and the guy is laying it down on the one, no matter how good the time, its clashing...maybe "good enough for jazz" hahahaha , a person could convince themselves its ok, but, if you really know, and you are laying it down anticipating the one, someone coming down on the one totaly throws the original groove off a little, enough to feel it if you know it. so its groove knowledge that even is more advanced. and it takes experiance, especialy bandstand experiance and playing with older guys or guys who really know that starts bringing these things home to understand

i think one thing i can pass on to guitar players on this forum , as a drummer who catches ideas and as a person who hires guitar players in the studio and for gigs, what is most important to me is , deep time , more so deep groove knowledge, ability to hold the form, id prefer to not have paper on the bandstand , but sometimes its nescasary , i have my charts , but really simple. so , reading is a nescasary skill , but my gig will be simple, ability to hold hands with the group , especialy when the tempos get faster and more powerful, i need the solo to give up the one and not float linear, of course all the profesional demands of being on time and presentable condition to play are huge also for hiring someone and i cross people off my list if they mess up on those things fast.

i hear you about the guitar with piano...what i think is, of course there are serious harmonic things to work out. great players seem to know. it relates to simplicity and listening as well as knowledge and experiance. i like guitarists who arnt afraid to do it with no bass or anyone but drums and percusion. lots of cats dont do that

as a drummer, im grunting and singing also, its just not anything recognisable in the european tuning lexicon hahaha, but, by gosh, it is affective, breathing along with the soloists phrasing.

one thing i do beleive from learning these ketu candomble beats and dances. you can learn groove , feel , rhythm section concept, how to trust intuition , how to recognise what it takes to make something groove even if it isnt exactly ketu, how to deal with simplicity and holding hands...

it is cultural and quantifiable, its not such a mystery if we start to dig deeper into origins and roots of this music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonsritmos
    rpjazz guitar, i like all your points

"playing percusion " ..absolutly, this is everything im aluding to about the ketu candomble percusion. im not expecting anyone to go as deep as ive gone. but even thinking about it, how profound these rhythm concepts are, how they are the the blueprints for so many jazz evolutions and phrasings and writings , will go a long way to working on how to get a philosophy on how to play jazz
    I completely agree about groove. I used the term time-feel more generally, but it has to be applied to groove. I have spent years studying Brazilian music (samba and various northeast styles) and it is from Brazilian music that my appreciation for subtleties of time and groove emerged.

I did not study bata ketu specifically, although I'm aware of it. I agree that it is the foundation. I began with samba bataria and tried to apply those rhythmic ideas to guitar -- as had been done before.

User Info Menu

some great topic related exercises - his "fundamentals" seem wildly advanced That said quite a few of these less common variations sound like they would not be that difficult to incorporate into ones playing. Around 25 mins he starts showing mapping pitches to rhythms

Will
    Last edited by WillMbCdn5; 04-24-2019 at 09:47 PM.

User Info Menu

oh guitar jazz players , please indulge me here , and i apologise in advance for anyone who is tired of the "check the percusion out" on a guitar forum, but, after seeing the nice video above ,i feel compelled to share this with you. this is my "sequence", i practice pretty much every day on drums, right handed , left handed , throw back beats on it...all the ones im playing percusion , i have drum beats for. bear with me now, i know , "what is this doing on a guitar thread ?", but, key issues of improvisation in jazz and how to aproach it are stimulating me to participate .

i like this guy above, the finger snap parts, some of those things are directly in some of these ketu beats. i like how he is playing his thing on guitar, a simple thing that doesnt go into complexities of scales and harmony, to show his rhythmic aproaches. so i want you to imagine a guitar player playing that simple aproach to each change of the rhythm above in the youtube im bringing in.

and remember , ive linked many of these grooves directly to armstrong, miles ,ellington etc the masters of jazz. i say , take this guys guitar aproach and aply it to these rhythms and you are going closer to the source.

there is a point he starts to mentaly fatigue me, following the ketu grooves, i dont think you would fatigue mentaliy like that. i think it puts you directly into phrasing awareness, groove awareness , energy awareness. swing awareness especialy on some of the bouncy ones...

the dance is in there too, so very important. jack joao goes back and forth from the accompanying "pi" , to the solo "rum". i could bring in the pure terreiro examples, but, im doing all the talking , better to see my referance first

also, i want to make clear, im never saying dont learn the histroy of jazz songbook and go off to do anything, im saying this is all added on to the knowledge you already are exploring

and, this guy starts going off into the deeper sub divisions, and, here is where he is going past the african rooted ketu and into the india related odd times and here is where it can go down the rabbit hole and i dont know if i want to do that now, but, i can say this, these ketu concepts are about the deep ancient african concepts and how they informed what jazz is all about , especialy groove and improvisation ,from joplin , jelly roll , armstrong, ellington, miles , bird, coltrane, wayne, hard bop , modal bop that still was 12 bar and aaba....when brubeck and ornette coleman brought their concepts on the scene, there is a severly sharp change away from these concepts , and , since then, there are huge variations and new definitions of jazz, i call it the de africanisation of jazz

so its the rabbit hole , and its only personal opinion at that point , and i can only say, i have played free music with high leval players, complicated odd times with fusion groups in the spell of mcclauglin and that is a high point in odd times, he has sat with the masters. i can say i listened to allah rakah and then zakir hussein , which i listen to often ,i respect all high leval discipline and cultures , but, my heart is in afro diasporic grooves, in jazz that is those names i keep saying and of course brazilian music , i started on bongos and congas so cuban music is dear to my heart. and these ketu rhythms have so many secrets that answers a lot of questions for those things i love so much to play, for various reasons. that is why im so deep into them now and i am trying to share it

but, i guess that is what jazz is all aboutm, a lot of differant opinions of how to play it ,and, its good to know what you really love and make that choice in the most committed way

User Info Menu

isnt it better to practice with a groove than a metranome?...i dont know , just asking

User Info Menu

1. Playing percussion instruments.
    Mimi Fox plays drums and keeps a kit in her garage. Being a percussionist has a big impact on how she plays (and teaches) guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Mimi Fox plays drums and keeps a kit in her garage. Being a percussionist has a big impact on how she plays (and teaches) guitar
    Mimi's time-feel is superb and she attributes it to starting out as a drummer. If you ever have a chance to listen to her play a bass line with chord stabs on guitar --- the bass line is as deep in the pocket as anybody's.

User Info Menu

Mimi's time-feel is superb and she attributes it to starting out as a drummer. If you ever have a chance to listen to her play a bass line with chord stabs on guitar --- the bass line is as deep in the pocket as anybody's.
    I contend that learning jazz drumming basics should be required for any jazz university program.

When I was at the new school, we had to learn jazz piano basics which is I guess somewhat useful (I didn't personally find it useful at all) but it really grinds my gears that jazz drumming was not required for everyone.

User Info Menu

Miles Okazaki again( yes I'm a fan) Drumuitaring!

Will

User Info Menu

If anyone's interested here's my resource.

Should be good for any instrument...

My Resource for Working on Rhythmic Vocabulary

User Info Menu

miles okazaki has the right idea for sure...gees his 3/4 near the end is sato from ketu

if you want to do paradidles , a neat trick i used to do is start the paradidle on the anticapation so it comes in before the one, it gets really syncopated and interesting..on the one almost sounds like a march, anticipated it really gets groovy style, "latinish" (im not a fan of saying "latin rhythms", there are too many variable but sometimes it gets the idea over)

i like he is saying you can practice out of any drum book...

but, ill tell you, i used to have these tricks with rudiments, all my limbs playing 16 notes at the same time and accent the rudiment but keep all limbs playing 16 notes...

i dont do rudiments any more. these ketu codes cover everything. flams and ruffs are ingrained and the grooves are so powerful when i start "rum" ing , soloing over it but coming back to the groove, im doing lots of rolls .playing them left handed and right totaly strengthens the opisite hand, but, guitar players dont have to do this , miles shows well how a guitar player can aproach this

how miles is explaining playing guitar to these drum rhythms , if you just aplied that to these ketu beats, you are playing the actual origins and roots of what is in jazz . its one of the most direct pracitce routines i can do to take right to the bandstand

miles has the right idea , its good to see players coming up with their ways to deal with rhythms .i can see his exercises are going to give him a sharp attack

same with your game technique , christian

its not abandoning the educational system, its adding on to it

User Info Menu

It's been interesting to see this thread evolve into general 'advice for working on your time' thread having started with something rather specific.

Good and great advice generally, though.

I used to feel the only way to learn this music was to try anad walk the path the greats did. I'm more open these days. The music changes, the way in which it performs changes and I think that's a good think as long as we don't abandon the groove and improvisation (which I feel are both essential to this music.) Change is life. Life is change.

And while the time honoured stuff - learning from the records, playing with the best musicians we can find, immersing ourselves in the culture and finding the pocket within ourselves is always the emphasis for me, I also think we should be open to new information as it comes along, and as teachers and self-educators use it to inform our work. Also other cultures and artforms ... the arts are the same really. I get the feeling this is understood in Japan...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here (AFAIK) is playing along with the records. There's a lot of players who learned doing that.

User Info Menu

@christianm77 What "new information" are you talking about? Modern music theory has been around for a looong time. There isn't any "new information" there it's the same stuff that's been used since long before you were a twinkle in your mama's eye or even your grandmama's eye. It's really just a matter of how creative you are and then what you can creatively do with it.

On the other hand sometimes I think guitarists think they have to have every lick spoon fed to them by someone else so they're always looking to someone else to show them some specific way to play everything. However if someone else shows a lick to you then, in a sense, it isn't really new. Rather you're regurgitating what's actually been done before and calling it "new". So in that sense it's actually a deception because it isn't really new or original.

The concept I mentioned of "variable licks" is exactly a method for creating something new. Because if you're creative enough what you'll find is by using that method you'll eventually come up with brand new licks that are totally you're own that don't even resemble the original lick you started with anymore, even though they started out being based on the same idea.

Having a solid foundation in the music theory, learning how to play with the different subdivisions during the measure, Playing some of what's already been done as a learning tool to see what's going on musically, then learning methods for creating your own original lines/musical ideas with it all, then playing what YOU hear and feel, that's how you create something new and original. That's how it becomes YOU and not just a clone of someone else.