Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Really cool article that our global forum may enjoy:

The Improvisational Wonders of Jazz and Soccer - Los Angeles Review of Books

For me, I've enjoyed a lifetime of basketball and have noted the similarities of organized sports to organized music and even more to the to the point--jazz jam sessions to pick-up basketball.

From the idea of home-court rules mostly based on traditions, the general underlying competitiveness, the specific skills that can be developed but the overall quality of play being paramount--are just a few things that come to mind. Playing with friends to hanging with total strangers--if you can play, you can play. Games can be ragtag or very formal...but almost always worthwhile. Improvisation in the context of teamwork, has always been what appeals to me. Getting your ass kicked by somebody better is a surefire motivator in sports and music. Sports and music--both usually social activities where individual, solitary effort pays off. Two of my great life-long loves... Hope you enjoy the read--I learned from it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jumpers for goalposts.

User Info Menu

As weird as i find this article, ive been waiting for it. Not that I see much connection myself, but i want it to exist, because both are my passions.

It's tricky, I live in US, but I have no interest in any American sport. I watch EPL or UEFA cup or World Cup matches, and on a good day I feel inspired and wanna play music, jazz and all... But I know of no one like that from the musicians I play with. They might wanna talk baseball at best. Brrrr.

User Info Menu

There’s a regular jazz musicians football match in London. My mate Henry once broke Gwylim Simcock’s right hand in a particularly messy sliding tackle.

User Info Menu

And it's not "soccer", it's football.

Other than than, Mr Cleese fulheartedly agrees that football is like jazz.

User Info Menu

That doesn't surprise me. Neurochemical processes in the brain that leads to learning a complex task is the same even when the tasks appear to be very different superficially.
    We spend hours building lines, internalizing them, work on developing good time, developing ability to pre hear melodic phrases, building technique to deliver what we hear etc. so we can instinctually make good musical choices and not think about mechanics during performance (which would be very slow).
    Athletes spend hours practicing drills that essentially do the same. So they can instantly come up with the right responses to situations and execute the responses perfectly.
    Another similarity is that just like jazz bands need to swing and be in the pocket together, sports' teams success depend crucially to the "team chemistry".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Baseball is a 19th century pastoral game...football is a 20th century technological struggle. And soccer is...jazz. Got it
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Jazz and soccer
    Rock and drag racing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve View Post
    And it's not "soccer", it's football.

Other than than, Mr Cleese fulheartedly agrees that football is like jazz.
    Yea, wtf with soccer? FOOTBALL, lads, it's an European forum!

User Info Menu

Am I right in thinking European football is quite trendy in the states?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    no haha
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    Jazz and soccer
    Rock and drag racing?
    Tbh football has more connection with rock than jazz. Ever been to a match, know how fans chant? So many rock songs are based on chanting. It's a primal power! None of that jazz sophistication. Just a different angle to look at the music and sport connection I guess...

User Info Menu

Not unless you're a Mexican or South American roots.

But something funny... when I used to be on the ska music scene I saw all those fans turn up with local soccer teams scarfs, no doubt trying to copy their English counterparts hooligans or whatever, thinking that what they do over there, haha. I'm pretty sure secretly all they really care was Yankees vs Red Sox, but they would never admit it!

Of course no one told them the hardcore football fans don't wear scarfs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758 View Post
    no haha
    Hey, USA has been the number 1 in women's soccer for a long time now. Canada has reached number 3 I think recently.

User Info Menu

Hey, USA has been the number 1 in women's soccer for a long time now. Canada has reached number 3 I think recently.
    That's just statistic.

User Info Menu

Yeah some of the best jazz guitarists are American, but that doesn't mean it's trendy here
    White belt
    My Youtube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Not unless you're a Mexican or South American roots.

But something funny... when I used to be on the ska music scene I saw all those fans turn up with local soccer teams scarfs, no doubt trying to copy their English counterparts hooligans or whatever, thinking that what they do over there, haha. I'm pretty sure secretly all they really care was Yankees vs Red Sox, but they would never admit it!

Of course no one told them the hardcore football fans don't wear scarfs.
    Ok. I was thinking it might be a hipster thing maybe.

I was surprised to see the European leagues on in a few bars.

Frankly, I prefer baseball, much more fun.

User Info Menu

Also I find American Football very hard to understand. It seems like a deep game, lots of strategy and stoppage time.

Association Football is very simple. The most complicated thing is the offside rule, which is actually not complicated at all.

Baseball is more familiar to Brits because it’s basically a game we all play in school (rounders) on steroids.

User Info Menu

Also I find American Football very hard to understand. It seems like a deep game, lots of strategy and stoppage time.

Association Football is very simple. The most complicated thing is the offside rule, which is actually not complicated at all.

Baseball is more familiar to Brits because it’s basically a game we all play in school (rounders) on steroids.
    I am a baseball fan - best game ever. This is jazz)))
    ...but I feel very lonely here to be honest in that sense)))

My kid and I threw the ball in the yard and kids got interested - so I explained the rules and we played some kind of simplified soft ball... everybody was very fascinated and the game is really very interestin from point of view of strategy and tactics...
    But still there is no support to it and also considering moder days political trends ifor some people it may seem a bit hostile(((

I could not get American football too

But you just need a son and Xbox Kinnect Sports - so you will gradually at least get the basics of it.

User Info Menu

Frankly, I prefer baseball, much more fun.
    Hahaha, you're being funny right?