The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So my teacher highly recommends me to get into this. I have been trying, mainly by getting the thumb over the neck and the neck resting on the palm. My teacher states that many of my playing problems is due to me wanting to do stuff like hammer on/off with pinky etc. I played very classical position before I had sessions with him

Now that I try to play this way I notice that many arpeggios and even scale shapes becomes unatural, because I am used to using pinky. Holding the fingers in an angle makes fretting notes with pinky even harder. So not that I am going to stop using the pinky, but I wonder if anyone can recommend me some material to read? Perhaps where this technique is discussed and perhaps even were stuff like arpeggios and scales are mentioned?

How does the players who use these techniques play scales and arps? I understood from my teacher that you use the pinky when necessary, but I also understood that you will always sacrifice some of the articulation potential by using the pinky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I find the pinky allows you to do some things that would otherwise be impossible, especially at speed. Your teacher is against using your pinky?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p1p
    I find the pinky allows you to do some things that would otherwise be impossible, especially at speed. Your teacher is against using your pinky?
    Not at all. He just wants me to primarily use the three others and have the fingers at an angle. More “jazzy technique”. Look at peter Bernstein play for example. Or pat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I see. Well those are the stronger fingers.

User Info Menu

It gets you out of position playing and more moving up and down the neck. This has the added benefit of having your lines never die because you’ve reached the limits of the current position that you happen to be in.

User Info Menu

If I was going to get into 3 finger technique I'd shed Garrison Fewell's book. It's really good