The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 4: Project 4 (Georgia On My Mind)

All are welcome!

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

We have finally reached our last project in the Robert Conti Ticket To Improv series. It has been almost exactly 2 years since we kicked off this study group with Satin Doll on February 26, 2017. Congrats to all study group members and viewers!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

• February 26: Measures 1-8
    • March 5: Measures 1-16
    • March 12: Measures 1-24
    • March 19: Measures 1-32
    • March 26: Final take (optional)

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 02-17-2019 at 01:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Im in.

I contacted the Robert Conti website, to ask how to proceed when we have done this last tune, this was there reply:

"Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your message and congratulations on your progress in the study group! The Jazz Lines is a good next step, however, I would also suggest selecting a title from the Advanced Improv series. The lines are more complex, but they will present a good challenge for you as you continue to develop your vocabulary of jazz lines.

Kind regards,
    Steve, Support"

I don't mind what we do, but I would like to continue with the Conti stuff, and you guys. How about that advanced improv stuff?

andyb

And we're off! Here's my take on the first 8 bars of the Conti TTI solo for Georgia On My Mind. I took a few liberties with the time but all-in-all I played it pretty straight at 72 bpm.

User Info Menu

Thanks for getting things started Joe, and your sounding great as usual, I liked the liberties.

Here is my bars 1-8.

andyb

User Info Menu

This weeks instalment, I am quite enjoying this one.

andyb

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    This weeks instalment, I am quite enjoying this one.
    andyb
    Beautifully done Andy! Very clean with great tone. You're halfway home. I hope to post something by the end of the day. Cheers.

Here's my take on bars 1-16. Once again, I took a few liberties with the rhythm. I'm enjoying how Conti reuses previously learned lines to craft a new solo.

Bars 1-24 including the pesky octaves.

User Info Menu

Very nice Joe.

Bars 1-24, still enjoying this one.

andyb

Bars 1-24, still enjoying this one.
    andyb
    It shows Andy. Well done!

User Info Menu

Here it is the complete solo and head, slightly ahead of schedule because I am planning something special for the last week.

andyb

Here it is the complete solo and head, slightly ahead of schedule because I am planning something special for the last week.
    andyb
    You nailed it Andy! I can't wait for next week's video. Congrats!

p.s., I may post a bit late this week. Lots of stuff getting in the way of learning the lesson. But still having fun!

Here's my take on the full solo (bars 1-32). Fun solo. Still needs more time in the shed. I'm planning on posting a final version with head + solo but that will take a couple of weeks. Cheers.

User Info Menu

You guys are sounding great! I finished learning and memorizing the solo this weekend, but it may be another week or so before I get a chance to record it because the kids are off for spring break. This tune probably has the slowest tempo of all the tunes in the TTI series, but it's very melodic. I'm really enjoying it.

-Chris

User Info Menu

I wanted to do something special for the last TTI project, my friend Charlie a bass player, was kind enough to play through Georgia with me.
    I have to say I found the experience very interesting. He plays in a dirty blues band, and is used to playing at volume, I found the volume to be quite tricky particularly dealing with feedback. I suppose we should have played quieter, or using some tape over the f holes or something?

I am happy with how it turned out though, not perfect I know.

I am a bit sad that this is the end of the TTI project, I have really enjoyed it. And I want to thank everyone for there support, I have seen us all really improve over the time we have been working together, now I feel excited and ready to start “The Jazz Lines” material.
    Although looking through the JL book I would say the hard work is about to begin.

Obviously If anyone wanted to do a Jazz Lines study group, I would be up for that?

I have posted us playing Georgia, and also a vid I did, taken with my phone at the last gig Charlie did with his band “ Fat Orange Wolf” here in Oxford, the home of dreaming spires and dirty blues.

Here is a link to there facebook page, Fat Orange Wolf.

andyb

User Info Menu

I wanted to do something special for the last TTI project, my friend Charlie a bass player, was kind enough to play through Georgia with me.
    That was awesome, Andy! I'm jealous that you have a double-bass player to play with. That looks like a lot of fun.

Here is my take on Georgia:

I actually found it challenging to play that slow with good time and feeling. I didn't finish "Wave" before skipping ahead to "Bluesette" in order to try and keep up with the group. So I think I'll finish that one up before calling the "Ticket to Improv" series complete.

-Chris

I have to say I found the experience very interesting. He plays in a dirty blues band, and is used to playing at volume, I found the volume to be quite tricky particularly dealing with feedback. I suppose we should have played quieter, or using some tape over the f holes or something?
    I am happy with how it turned out though, not perfect I know.
    I loved the video Andy! You're lucky to have someone to play with. My BIAB lacks personality. :-). I think your playing has improved with every project and this is a fitting end to the study group.

Work and some minor health issues have slowed me down. But
    I expect to post my final take in a week or two.

I am a bit sad that this is the end of the TTI project, I have really enjoyed it. And I want to thank everyone for there support, I have seen us all really improve over the time we have been working together.
    andyb
    I agree and will create an "Epilog" thread where we can post our thoughts and experiences with the Conti Ticket To Improv material and with this study group.

Congrats on the big finish and making it to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    That was awesome, Andy! I'm jealous that you have a double-bass player to play with. That looks like a lot of fun.

Here is my take on Georgia:

I actually found it challenging to play that slow with good time and feeling. I didn't finish "Wave" before skipping ahead to "Bluesette" in order to try and keep up with the group. So I think I'll finish that one up before calling the "Ticket to Improv" series complete.

-Chris
    Smooth as silk Chris! I also find it challenging to play it that slowly. I look forward to your take on "Wave".

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words guys, you are sounding great Chris, and Joe I hope you are feeling better soon, I am looking forward to your final take.

I am really pleased that Charlie has offered to play through some tunes with me, it is just what I need at the moment, playing with someone else without any pressure.
    We will hopefully get together once a month, that will work well with the way I intend to work through the Jazz Lines material.

What do you think about my plan?
    There are 12 lessons in the book, one a month. I intend to learn the lines in each lesson, That should take a couple of weeks. Then woodshed the lines over a tune for a couple of weeks, before finally getting together with Charlie for a run through.
    Then move on to the next lesson, rinse and repeat for a year?

andyb

Well after 2+ years (we started this study group on February 19, 2017), 4 Ticket To Improv volumes, 16 official projects (I have folders for 19 projects), 90+ videos uploaded (I had never posted a video before joining this group), it is time to post my final video. I was hoping for something a little more polished but nevertheless, here it is.

Bars 1-16: Melody lifted from a Herb Ellis video on YouTube.
    Bars 17-24 (bridge): Basically the melody with a few octaves thrown in.
    Bars 25-32: The melody.
    Bars 33-64: The Conti Solo

Thanks to everyone who participated in the study group for your support and inspiration. And a special thanks to Mr. Robert Conti for the Ticket To Improv study material. I am sure it will be even more helpful the second time through.

Cheers,
    Joe