Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

Hey, all,

We've gotten some traction on a Joe Pass Guitar Style study group. How about we start a separate group and thread for that? I don't own a copy of the On Guitar book that some others are studying and would prefer to just collaboratively work with those who have Style. Obviously there's nothing stopping anyone from participating in both groups, but I think the studying will be more directed if they're not mixed. I'll lead the dance if we need someone to do that. What say ye?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy View Post
    Hey, all,

We've gotten some traction on a Joe Pass Guitar Style study group. How about we start a separate group and thread for that? I don't own a copy of the On Guitar book that some others are studying and would prefer to just collaboratively work with those who have Style. Obviously there's nothing stopping anyone from participating in both groups, but I think the studying will be more directed if they're not mixed. I'll lead the dance if we need someone to do that. What say ye?
    I'm in for Guitar Style. Happy to have you be the cheerleader-in-chief for that one.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Are you talking about updated versions of the original orange book? That book doesn't contain all of the secrets of the universe, but as far as guitar playing goes, it contains a helluva lot of them.
    Joe Pass Guitar Style-jaitojywrhsta17vt2wb-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm willing to be lured into this. ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Having looked at both books I gotta say I prefer the 'guitar style' blues lines to the first 'on guitar' etude....

User Info Menu

Just before the blues section there is a nice exercise on iii-VI-ii-V-I that could be useful to start with. I'm happy either way, but that looks like a fun exercise.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer View Post
    Are you talking about updated versions of the original orange book? That book doesn't contain all of the secrets of the universe, but as far as guitar playing goes, it contains a helluva lot of them.
    Joe Pass Guitar Style-jaitojywrhsta17vt2wb-jpg
    Yeah, it's the same book. The difference is the "updated" one has fewer pages because they crammed the info into a smaller space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Just before the blues section there is a nice exercise on iii-VI-ii-V-I that could be useful to start with. I'm happy either way, but that looks like a fun exercise.
    Yeah, and more rhythm changes start on page 45. Good challenging etudes on both blues and rhythm changes in this book. Playing a lot of both would seem to be a great investment of practice time for any developing jazz guitar player...

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's the same book. The difference is the "updated" one has fewer pages because they crammed the info into a smaller space.
    So this changes the page numbers, right? Hhm... That could get confusing. There's a lot to be said for the numbered paragraph style of church documents and Wittgenstein's first book: it makes no diffference which translation or edition you have, #7 is #7.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Mark - nah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    So this changes the page numbers, right? Hhm... That could get confusing. There's a lot to be said for the numbered paragraph style of church documents and Wittgenstein's first book: it makes no diffference which translation or edition you have, #7 is #7.
    We could use the table of contents topic headings for general reference.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Hey, all,

I just dug up my copy of the book.
    I am in !!

User Info Menu

We could use the table of contents topic headings for general reference.
    Yes, that should be easy enough. We just need to be mindful of it. I assume most of us will have the "revised standard version", complete with CD track #s, so that may be the default.

By the way, there's a CD with the most recent version. (The old book came with a cassette.) The CD is not essential but it could prove helpful at times. An option.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Why not go the full Wittgenstein and start an Investigations study group?

User Info Menu

I've been reading Elisabeth Anscombe again. (She was Wittgenstein's literary executor and a great philosopher in her own right.) Brought to mind my obsession with the "Investigations" as a college freshman. My girlfriend had a hard time getting that book out of my hands. But she found ways...

Groyniad's the Wittgenstein scholar hereabouts.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Playing games, games, nothing but games...

(runs from the room screaming)

Turtles all the way down.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

I've been reading Elisabeth Anscombe again. (She was Wittgenstein's literary executor and a great philosopher in her own right.) Brought to mind my obsession with the "Investigations" as a college freshman. My girlfriend had a hard time getting that book out of my hands. But she found ways...

Groyniad's the Wittgenstein scholar hereabouts.
    He's a great guy (Groyniad, that is, not W.) and we haven't heard from him in ages.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

He's a great guy (Groyniad, that is, not W.) and we haven't heard from him in ages.
    He will return, Lawson. Have faith! ;o)
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

He will return, Lawson. Have faith! ;o)
    I don't want Wittgenstein to return. I'm sorry he came the first time.
    - Lawson

OK, so I'm electing myself as the de facto "leader" of this group, just in the sense of keeping it going from where we all decide to start until the end of the book. I'm also thinking about doing some video explanations - after we get the main focus going - of what's going on earlier in the book for those who are still new to the game. Borrowing from Jazzstdnt's suggestions here's where we can start:

We start with Blues (new book page 35, old book page 53).

1. First lay down a rhythm track, then the solo in two chorus'. (only difference is the last two bars).

2. Upload as much or as little as you care to, according to whatever schedule is comfortable. (e.g. The whole thing, just the rhythm guitar, one line of the solo at a time, 1 chorus at a time ... etc. Whatever you are comfortable with).

Jazzstdnt also suggested a tempo of 100 to 132 BPM, and that's fine, but if you're new and can't manage that yet the important thing is to participate and post - your technique will surely improve!

The main issue with me at the moment will be reinventing the wheel as far as videorecording the content, as I haven't done it with anything but my phone for many years and I'm sure there are better options. If anyone has suggestions please PM me.

User Info Menu

OK, so I'm electing myself as the de facto "leader" of this group, just in the sense of keeping it going from where we all decide to start until the end of the book. I'm also thinking about doing some video explanations - after we get the main focus going - of what's going on earlier in the book for those who are still new to the game. Borrowing from Jazzstdnt's suggestions here's where we can start:

1. First lay down a rhythm track, then the solo in two chorus'. (only difference is the last two bars).

2. Upload as much or as little as you care to, according to whatever schedule is comfortable. (e.g. The whole thing, just the rhythm guitar, one line of the solo at a time, 1 chorus at a time ... etc. Whatever you are comfortable with).

Jazzstdnt also suggested a tempo of 100 to 132 BPM, and that's fine, but if you're new and can't manage that yet the important thing is to participate and post - your technique will surely improve!

The main issue with me at the moment will be reinventing the wheel as far as videorecording the content, as I haven't done it with anything but my phone for many years and I'm sure there are better options. If anyone has suggestions please PM me.
    I am not complaining but why are starting on page 35 ? There seems to be a lot of good material on the first 34 pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

1986 Cover

Page 34 - Improvising
    Page 37 - Blues

1986 - see contents, below:

Last edited by Namelyguitar; 01-08-2019 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I use my phone, but capture the audio through a box (PreSonus AudioBox iTwo) with a cable to the phone. Works pretty good. We don't need high level production, just a nice memorandum of a musical milestone.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    I am not complaining but why are starting on page 35 ? There seems to be a lot of good material on the first 34 pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It mainly has to do with group processing of the content. It's hard to see what to put in posted clips from those pages. IN the deliberations about starting the group generally folks wanted to post connected melodic things, but nothing stops anyone from posting from the earlier pages if something strikes you as worth discussion.
    - Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A View Post
    I agree with you; this book has a ton of material. As mentioned I'd love to work our way from the beginning, but as Lawson suggested, the solos are a good way to share our progress, since the earlier part of the book is somewhat less "performance" oriented. I'll be happy to start at page one, though, and start helping out with the explanations if you'd like.

Meanwhile...

The video explains all! Let me know if you can view this, please.

User Info Menu

I can see it but you're playing upside down....

User Info Menu

Great! Thank you. Enjoyed the comping chorus, very active without feeling busy. I need to practice now....
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by dot75 View Post
    I can see it but you're playing upside down....
    Weird. I've tried it on two different browsers and on my phone and it works fine. Anyone else seeing it upside down?

User Info Menu

THA's WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!

Nice! I have never tried to record my own comping but maybe I should.

Gretsch?
    - Lawson

THA's WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!

Nice! I have never tried to record my own comping but maybe I should.

Gretsch?
    Thanks, Lawson!

Yes, a Gretsch G3191, called an Historic Series and made in Korea. Good general workhorse guitar that I don't worry about taking to gigs. When I figure out how to record directly with all the junk I have you'll get to hear it amplified.

So, yeah, I started a vid talking about the Joe Pass Guitar Style book from page one, but currently I'm sick with a cold that's causing me to cough uncontrollably sometimes and it's aggravated by talking. I'll probably try again tomorrow in tiny segments.

User Info Menu

So, yeah, I started a vid talking about the Joe Pass Guitar Style book from page one, but currently I'm sick with a cold that's causing me to cough uncontrollably sometimes and it's aggravated by talking. I'll probably try again tomorrow in tiny segments.
    Please don't put yourself out. "Take the cure."

It might work well enough to learn the lines in part two and then talk about the parts in part one that seem relevant to that. (Starting with blues lines, the portions of part one dealing with dominant chords snd their substitutions may seem most relevant.) Just a thought.

O, and something in your pdf about Joe's chord / scale / arpeggio exercise could be very helpful to many of us. Joe was keen on playing out of "forms" and said "the notes you need are under (or right around) your fingers." Since the blues have (relatively) few chords, it might be eye-opening for those less-versed in this to see how the lines relate to chord grips Joe used.
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Anyone care to comment on RB's youtube series on Joe Pass style feat. Virtuoso. Somehow Beato has a great communication style - intermed to advanced doesn't matter. He gets it across....

Would be interested to hear about anyone else who has found equiv or better by others in YT tutorials.

This guy's output is enviable and he also displays wide knowldge of other topics ... for now, though just interested in good clear exposition about comping chords and connecting runs.

Thanks for reading....

User Info Menu

Weird. I've tried it on two different browsers and on my phone and it works fine. Anyone else seeing it upside down?
    !?

It won't play in a browser for me (Chrome/firefox/opera) - download only then it's upside down...first time for everything.

More importantly, sounds good...

User Info Menu

Plays fine for me on Safari/Mac. Just what the doctor ordered! Translating a bunch of squiggles into music I understand. Nice job.

Hey all,

Here's my first installment of Joe Pass Guitar Style from page 1. This is my contribution towards explaining how to translate the text of the book into playable examples and then how to apply them. I'll follow shortly with a page of notation and TAB for all the chords I demonstrated. This movie file is a little bigger than the last one, so it seems to be getting stuck sometimes in playback directly off my website. Any ideas where to host other than Youtube?

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Style_pg_1a.MOV

User Info Menu

Hey all,

Here's my first installment of Joe Pass Guitar Style from page 1.
    Thank you, Clay. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.
    Frank Vignola

Hey gang,

Here's the PDF of the chords I played in the video I posted earlier today.

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Guitar_Style_pg_1a.pdf

Hey all,

I'm on kind of a roll, here, so I'm posting the 2nd part of the Joe Pass Guitar Style (JPGS for short) section harmony, 7th chords.

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Style_pg_1b.MOV

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Guitar_Style_pg_1b.pdf

User Info Menu

Just got the book today Probably won't get a chance to do much until Saturday though but the video was great

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    Just got the book today Probably won't get a chance to do much until Saturday though but the video was great
    Cool, man. There are now three videos and two supplementary worksheets that go with the two newer videos.

User Info Menu

!?

It won't play in a browser for me (Chrome/firefox/opera) - download only then it's upside down...first time for everything.
    Just in case anyone else has this happen - 'Video' a default linux program is the problem, no idea why, it's never done it before but VLC has come to the rescue...

User Info Menu

Cool, man. There are now three videos and two supplementary worksheets that go with the two newer videos.

Great stuff, got some catching up to do..

User Info Menu

Thanks Clay, I have just watched your videos. This is quite an undertaking, will you be going through the whole book in that way?

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    Thanks Clay, I have just watched your videos. This is quite an undertaking, will you be going through the whole book in that way?
    Yep, I'm planning to do that. I went through quite a bit of it when I was in my late teens/early 20s, so this is a much appreciated refresher course for me, through the eyes of greater maturity, or something like that.

User Info Menu

Yep, I'm planning to do that. I went through quite a bit of it when I was in my late teens/early 20s, so this is a much appreciated refresher course for me, through the eyes of greater maturity, or something like that.
    Great, I have ordered the book.

User Info Menu

I've put the first Blues into Musescore

Free music composition and notation software | MuseScore

(Free download for Linux/Windoze/Mac - dead easy to use)...mainly because you can click Menu, Notes, Transpose & put it in any key you like - the man did say play everything in every key...I had to zip the file so I hope it works...
    Attached Images Attached Images Joe Pass Guitar Style-screenshot-2019-01-12-14-15-50-jpg 
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've put the first Blues into Musescore
    Can you save it as a midi file? I have Sibelius and Band-in-a-Box and would prefer to use one of those.

User Info Menu

Can you save it as a midi file? I have Sibelius and Band-in-a-Box and would prefer to use one of those.
    <br>
    <br>
    Turns out you can save it as anything you want, midi &amp; Musicxml attached. The latter is recommended by musescore 'cause you can edit the file etc. Hope this works...

++++ errors corrected ++++
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dot75; 01-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.