The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 84
    Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    Turns out you can save it as anything you want, midi & Musicxml attached. The latter is recommended by musescore 'cause you can edit the file etc. Hope this works...
    I was able to open the midi file - the other file extension requires an add-on app for me to open it in Sibelius - and fix a few notes you'd gotten wrong.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Don't mention the F#...

Not sure if it's me or the program that reverses accidentals in the same bar...

Re-up'd.. let me know if you find more
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dot75; 01-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    The video explains all! Let me know if you can view this, please.
    Great stuff. Thank you again.
    I was wondering if you could say something about the fingerings / positions you chose. Just curious.

User Info Menu

Where can I get a copy of the book with CD? Amazon only shows kindle version. I prefer the paper version.
    Come to think of it I don’t even have a computer with a CD drive anymore. Are the tracks available in mp3 by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenhan
    Where can I get a copy of the book with CD? Amazon only shows kindle version. I prefer the paper version.
    Carol Kaye has it with the CD, Amazon sells the book too.

Joe Pass Guitar Style Book & New CD | Carol Kaye Store

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Pass-Guit...s+guitar+style

User Info Menu

Carol Kaye has it with the CD.
    That's where I got it. Carol even plays several of the examples from the book on the CD. (Joe Pass plays most of them. When the book first came out it was with a short cassette, so there wasn't room for many of the examples.)

It's Carol who plays the material on page 35 (the blues lines we're working on).

Don't mention the F#...

Not sure if it's me or the program that reverses accidentals in the same bar...

Re-up'd.. let me know if you find more
    No, it sounds fine now except for the robotic rhythm. I put it into a blues track in Band-in-a-Box and quantized it with a swing feel but I'm not able to save the file as an mp3 for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Great stuff. Thank you again.
    I was wondering if you could say something about the fingerings / positions you chose. Just curious.
    Sure. I originally learned these as close to being in one position as I could, but a lot of the intervals are awkward to play that way, so I experimented with shifting so that the chromatic passages in particular would lay on one string at a time. To be honest the constant down-up picking doesn't swing that well and to me kind of defeats the point of all 8th notes. Ideally I'd shed them for a while and see where to put legato articulation in strategic spots, because it's going to sound just as sing-song to put it in on every other note as it would to play all picked.

User Info Menu

Come to think of it I don’t even have a computer with a CD drive anymore. Are the tracks available in mp3 by any chance?
    To order both the book and CD, here's several sites that appear to have (with CD) in stock:
    --Alfred.com (Alfred Music)
    --Guitarcenter.com
    --Musicarts.com (Music & Arts)

User Info Menu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So I have the book without CD - anyone know where one can get the CD or mp3? Hate to order a second book, happy to pay for a download of the recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    So I have the book without CD - anyone know where one can get the CD or mp3? Hate to order a second book, happy to pay for a download of the recording.
    You can buy the CD (only) for $8.75 at carolkaye.com. Look in the catalog section. On page 3, I think.

User Info Menu

I'm still working on this. Taking me longer than I thought it would to get it right and up to tempo. Hangin' in there!

User Info Menu

You can buy the CD (only) for $8.75 at carolkaye.com. Look in the catalog section. On page 3, I think.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Okay, gang. First take. I'm a firm believer in leaving lots of room for improvement. ;o)

(Used new Focusrite iTrack Pocket for this. Took me longer than expected to get the hang of it----mainly because I needed to change a setting on my phone, not because the gizmo is hard to use.)

User Info Menu

It's taking me some time to work through this. Thanks for the Midi! Do we have a time limit for every new exercise?

Regards
    Abhi

User Info Menu

Okay, gang. First take. I'm a firm believer in leaving lots of room for improvement. ;o)

(Used new Focusrite iTrack Pocket for this. Took me longer than expected to get the hang of it----mainly because I needed to change a setting on my phone, not because the gizmo is hard to use.)

Hey Mark, nice job! I see you played it around the third-fifth positions, like the first poster (sorry I don't remember your name brother, I'll look later).

The only things I noticed were a few issues with time, no biggie. I would suggest recording your own backing track of Freddie Greene type comping, then play along with that. But whatever, you're doing great! I really think this JP material is tops for developing the jazz language on the guitar.

I must confess that I have signed up for yet another Berklee class, so am delayed from this thread, but am still playing a little bit of it as time allows and intend to get back to it.

You guys please keep it up.

User Info Menu

Working on the second blues solo on page 35.

User Info Menu

My reading skills stink.
    Have to make this a priority.
    But at least I'm posting. ;o)

User Info Menu

I'm on the way! I like to do clips with the playing memorized, and I'm having trouble keeping this first section in my memory. But I'm working on it and will post, hopefully this week!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm on the way! I like to do clips with the playing memorized, and I'm having trouble keeping this first section in my memory. But I'm working on it and will post, hopefully this week!
    I prefer that to, but the nature of this exercise---unbroken eighth notes---makes it hard to memorize! For me, anyway. The parts I do memorize, I can play faster, but then there are the parts I haven't, so I stumble. I'm forcing myself to play it through with a metronome, which I don't like, but in the long run, it will help me.

User Info Menu

I studied some of the solos in this book ages ago. For a vid and tabs go here.

And by coincidence did I record a recent take last month:

The clips are 13 years apart and so are the guitars!!!!!

DB

User Info Menu

I sent a request to Dirk and Matt to change the title of this thread to:

[study group] Joe Pass Guitar Style.

That should make it easier for people to find and get back to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    I studied some of the solos in this book ages ago. For a vid and tabs go here.

And by coincidence did I record a recent take last month:

The clips are 13 years apart and so are the guitars!!!!!

DB
    Yes! Sounding good, as always, DB. Great to see you here.

User Info Menu

Changed the way I fingered this and wanted to see if I could play it from memory. Taking it slow, more as a rubato intro than a keep-it-moving straight eighths exercise. At least, that was my intent.

Still needs work but this is my favorite of the 3 blues so far.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately for us lesser mortals, it shows that tempo has a lot to do with this. DB's tempo is both enviable and necessary.