The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84
    The video explains all! Let me know if you can view this, please.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can see it but you're playing upside down....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    Great! Thank you. Enjoyed the comping chorus, very active without feeling busy. I need to practice now....

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    I can see it but you're playing upside down....
    Weird. I've tried it on two different browsers and on my phone and it works fine. Anyone else seeing it upside down?

User Info Menu

THA's WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!

Nice! I have never tried to record my own comping but maybe I should.

Gretsch?

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    THA's WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!

Nice! I have never tried to record my own comping but maybe I should.

Gretsch?
    Thanks, Lawson!

Yes, a Gretsch G3191, called an Historic Series and made in Korea. Good general workhorse guitar that I don't worry about taking to gigs. When I figure out how to record directly with all the junk I have you'll get to hear it amplified.

So, yeah, I started a vid talking about the Joe Pass Guitar Style book from page one, but currently I'm sick with a cold that's causing me to cough uncontrollably sometimes and it's aggravated by talking. I'll probably try again tomorrow in tiny segments.

User Info Menu

So, yeah, I started a vid talking about the Joe Pass Guitar Style book from page one, but currently I'm sick with a cold that's causing me to cough uncontrollably sometimes and it's aggravated by talking. I'll probably try again tomorrow in tiny segments.
    Please don't put yourself out. "Take the cure."

It might work well enough to learn the lines in part two and then talk about the parts in part one that seem relevant to that. (Starting with blues lines, the portions of part one dealing with dominant chords snd their substitutions may seem most relevant.) Just a thought.

O, and something in your pdf about Joe's chord / scale / arpeggio exercise could be very helpful to many of us. Joe was keen on playing out of "forms" and said "the notes you need are under (or right around) your fingers." Since the blues have (relatively) few chords, it might be eye-opening for those less-versed in this to see how the lines relate to chord grips Joe used.

User Info Menu

Anyone care to comment on RB's youtube series on Joe Pass style feat. Virtuoso. Somehow Beato has a great communication style - intermed to advanced doesn't matter. He gets it across....

Would be interested to hear about anyone else who has found equiv or better by others in YT tutorials.

This guy's output is enviable and he also displays wide knowldge of other topics ... for now, though just interested in good clear exposition about comping chords and connecting runs.

Thanks for reading....

User Info Menu

Weird. I've tried it on two different browsers and on my phone and it works fine. Anyone else seeing it upside down?
    !?

It won't play in a browser for me (Chrome/firefox/opera) - download only then it's upside down...first time for everything.

More importantly, sounds good...

User Info Menu

Plays fine for me on Safari/Mac. Just what the doctor ordered! Translating a bunch of squiggles into music I understand. Nice job.

Hey all,

Here's my first installment of Joe Pass Guitar Style from page 1. This is my contribution towards explaining how to translate the text of the book into playable examples and then how to apply them. I'll follow shortly with a page of notation and TAB for all the chords I demonstrated. This movie file is a little bigger than the last one, so it seems to be getting stuck sometimes in playback directly off my website. Any ideas where to host other than Youtube?

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Style_pg_1a.MOV

User Info Menu

Hey all,

Here's my first installment of Joe Pass Guitar Style from page 1.
    Thank you, Clay. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

Hey gang,

Here's the PDF of the chords I played in the video I posted earlier today.

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Guitar_Style_pg_1a.pdf

Hey all,

I'm on kind of a roll, here, so I'm posting the 2nd part of the Joe Pass Guitar Style (JPGS for short) section harmony, 7th chords.

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Style_pg_1b.MOV

http://claymoore.com/Joe_Pass_Guitar_Style_pg_1b.pdf

User Info Menu

Just got the book today Probably won't get a chance to do much until Saturday though but the video was great

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Just got the book today Probably won't get a chance to do much until Saturday though but the video was great
    Cool, man. There are now three videos and two supplementary worksheets that go with the two newer videos.

User Info Menu

!?

It won't play in a browser for me (Chrome/firefox/opera) - download only then it's upside down...first time for everything.
    Just in case anyone else has this happen - 'Video' a default linux program is the problem, no idea why, it's never done it before but VLC has come to the rescue...

User Info Menu

Cool, man. There are now three videos and two supplementary worksheets that go with the two newer videos.

Great stuff, got some catching up to do..

User Info Menu

Thanks Clay, I have just watched your videos. This is quite an undertaking, will you be going through the whole book in that way?

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks Clay, I have just watched your videos. This is quite an undertaking, will you be going through the whole book in that way?
    Yep, I'm planning to do that. I went through quite a bit of it when I was in my late teens/early 20s, so this is a much appreciated refresher course for me, through the eyes of greater maturity, or something like that.

User Info Menu

Yep, I'm planning to do that. I went through quite a bit of it when I was in my late teens/early 20s, so this is a much appreciated refresher course for me, through the eyes of greater maturity, or something like that.
    Great, I have ordered the book.

User Info Menu

I've put the first Blues into Musescore

Free music composition and notation software | MuseScore

(Free download for Linux/Windoze/Mac - dead easy to use)...mainly because you can click Menu, Notes, Transpose & put it in any key you like - the man did say play everything in every key...I had to zip the file so I hope it works...
    Attached Images Attached Images Joe Pass Guitar Style-screenshot-2019-01-12-14-15-50-jpg 
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've put the first Blues into Musescore
    Can you save it as a midi file? I have Sibelius and Band-in-a-Box and would prefer to use one of those.

User Info Menu

Can you save it as a midi file? I have Sibelius and Band-in-a-Box and would prefer to use one of those.
    <br>
    <br>
    Turns out you can save it as anything you want, midi &amp; Musicxml attached. The latter is recommended by musescore 'cause you can edit the file etc. Hope this works...

++++ errors corrected ++++
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dot75; 01-13-2019 at 03:58 PM.