The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 84

User Info Menu

Hey, all,

We've gotten some traction on a Joe Pass Guitar Style study group. How about we start a separate group and thread for that? I don't own a copy of the On Guitar book that some others are studying and would prefer to just collaboratively work with those who have Style. Obviously there's nothing stopping anyone from participating in both groups, but I think the studying will be more directed if they're not mixed. I'll lead the dance if we need someone to do that. What say ye?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    Hey, all,

We've gotten some traction on a Joe Pass Guitar Style study group. How about we start a separate group and thread for that? I don't own a copy of the On Guitar book that some others are studying and would prefer to just collaboratively work with those who have Style. Obviously there's nothing stopping anyone from participating in both groups, but I think the studying will be more directed if they're not mixed. I'll lead the dance if we need someone to do that. What say ye?
    I'm in for Guitar Style. Happy to have you be the cheerleader-in-chief for that one.

User Info Menu

Are you talking about updated versions of the original orange book? That book doesn't contain all of the secrets of the universe, but as far as guitar playing goes, it contains a helluva lot of them.
    Joe Pass Guitar Style-jaitojywrhsta17vt2wb-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm willing to be lured into this. ;o)

User Info Menu

Having looked at both books I gotta say I prefer the 'guitar style' blues lines to the first 'on guitar' etude....

User Info Menu

Just before the blues section there is a nice exercise on iii-VI-ii-V-I that could be useful to start with. I'm happy either way, but that looks like a fun exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    Are you talking about updated versions of the original orange book? That book doesn't contain all of the secrets of the universe, but as far as guitar playing goes, it contains a helluva lot of them.
    Joe Pass Guitar Style-jaitojywrhsta17vt2wb-jpg
    Yeah, it's the same book. The difference is the "updated" one has fewer pages because they crammed the info into a smaller space.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Just before the blues section there is a nice exercise on iii-VI-ii-V-I that could be useful to start with. I'm happy either way, but that looks like a fun exercise.
    Yeah, and more rhythm changes start on page 45. Good challenging etudes on both blues and rhythm changes in this book. Playing a lot of both would seem to be a great investment of practice time for any developing jazz guitar player...

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's the same book. The difference is the "updated" one has fewer pages because they crammed the info into a smaller space.
    So this changes the page numbers, right? Hhm... That could get confusing. There's a lot to be said for the numbered paragraph style of church documents and Wittgenstein's first book: it makes no diffference which translation or edition you have, #7 is #7.

User Info Menu

Mark - nah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    So this changes the page numbers, right? Hhm... That could get confusing. There's a lot to be said for the numbered paragraph style of church documents and Wittgenstein's first book: it makes no diffference which translation or edition you have, #7 is #7.
    We could use the table of contents topic headings for general reference.

User Info Menu

Hey, all,

I just dug up my copy of the book.
    I am in !!

User Info Menu

We could use the table of contents topic headings for general reference.
    Yes, that should be easy enough. We just need to be mindful of it. I assume most of us will have the "revised standard version", complete with CD track #s, so that may be the default.

By the way, there's a CD with the most recent version. (The old book came with a cassette.) The CD is not essential but it could prove helpful at times. An option.

User Info Menu

Why not go the full Wittgenstein and start an Investigations study group?

User Info Menu

I've been reading Elisabeth Anscombe again. (She was Wittgenstein's literary executor and a great philosopher in her own right.) Brought to mind my obsession with the "Investigations" as a college freshman. My girlfriend had a hard time getting that book out of my hands. But she found ways...

Groyniad's the Wittgenstein scholar hereabouts.

User Info Menu

Playing games, games, nothing but games...

(runs from the room screaming)

Turtles all the way down.

User Info Menu

I've been reading Elisabeth Anscombe again. (She was Wittgenstein's literary executor and a great philosopher in her own right.) Brought to mind my obsession with the "Investigations" as a college freshman. My girlfriend had a hard time getting that book out of my hands. But she found ways...

Groyniad's the Wittgenstein scholar hereabouts.
    He's a great guy (Groyniad, that is, not W.) and we haven't heard from him in ages.

User Info Menu

He's a great guy (Groyniad, that is, not W.) and we haven't heard from him in ages.
    He will return, Lawson. Have faith! ;o)

User Info Menu

He will return, Lawson. Have faith! ;o)
    I don't want Wittgenstein to return. I'm sorry he came the first time.

OK, so I'm electing myself as the de facto "leader" of this group, just in the sense of keeping it going from where we all decide to start until the end of the book. I'm also thinking about doing some video explanations - after we get the main focus going - of what's going on earlier in the book for those who are still new to the game. Borrowing from Jazzstdnt's suggestions here's where we can start:

We start with Blues (new book page 35, old book page 53).

1. First lay down a rhythm track, then the solo in two chorus'. (only difference is the last two bars).

2. Upload as much or as little as you care to, according to whatever schedule is comfortable. (e.g. The whole thing, just the rhythm guitar, one line of the solo at a time, 1 chorus at a time ... etc. Whatever you are comfortable with).

Jazzstdnt also suggested a tempo of 100 to 132 BPM, and that's fine, but if you're new and can't manage that yet the important thing is to participate and post - your technique will surely improve!

The main issue with me at the moment will be reinventing the wheel as far as videorecording the content, as I haven't done it with anything but my phone for many years and I'm sure there are better options. If anyone has suggestions please PM me.

User Info Menu

OK, so I'm electing myself as the de facto "leader" of this group, just in the sense of keeping it going from where we all decide to start until the end of the book. I'm also thinking about doing some video explanations - after we get the main focus going - of what's going on earlier in the book for those who are still new to the game. Borrowing from Jazzstdnt's suggestions here's where we can start:

1. First lay down a rhythm track, then the solo in two chorus'. (only difference is the last two bars).

2. Upload as much or as little as you care to, according to whatever schedule is comfortable. (e.g. The whole thing, just the rhythm guitar, one line of the solo at a time, 1 chorus at a time ... etc. Whatever you are comfortable with).

Jazzstdnt also suggested a tempo of 100 to 132 BPM, and that's fine, but if you're new and can't manage that yet the important thing is to participate and post - your technique will surely improve!

The main issue with me at the moment will be reinventing the wheel as far as videorecording the content, as I haven't done it with anything but my phone for many years and I'm sure there are better options. If anyone has suggestions please PM me.
    I am not complaining but why are starting on page 35 ? There seems to be a lot of good material on the first 34 pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

1986 Cover

Page 34 - Improvising
    Page 37 - Blues

1986 - see contents, below:

Last edited by Namelyguitar; 01-08-2019 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I use my phone, but capture the audio through a box (PreSonus AudioBox iTwo) with a cable to the phone. Works pretty good. We don't need high level production, just a nice memorandum of a musical milestone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I am not complaining but why are starting on page 35 ? There seems to be a lot of good material on the first 34 pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It mainly has to do with group processing of the content. It's hard to see what to put in posted clips from those pages. IN the deliberations about starting the group generally folks wanted to post connected melodic things, but nothing stops anyone from posting from the earlier pages if something strikes you as worth discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I agree with you; this book has a ton of material. As mentioned I'd love to work our way from the beginning, but as Lawson suggested, the solos are a good way to share our progress, since the earlier part of the book is somewhat less "performance" oriented. I'll be happy to start at page one, though, and start helping out with the explanations if you'd like.

Meanwhile...