The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

The TrueFire course of one of my favorite guitarists: Larry Carlton's 335 Improv

I'm going to dive into this course, if anyone is interested in joining me chime on in.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in fep. sounds like fun

User Info Menu

The course starts with this chord bit which is part of Larry's Rio Samba tune. This is

||: F9sus F9 | F9sus F9 | E9sus E9 | F9sus F9 :||

It looks like he is going to talk of other chords for this progression and soloing concepts of common tones and triad playing over these chords.

I recorded the first chord bit...

Last edited by fep; 01-05-2019 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I think you are playing F sus to E sus, but you wrote F sus to Eb sus.

This common Latin jazz sus jam would use the mixolydian scales.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I think you are playing F sus to E sus, but you wrote F sus to Eb sus.

This common Latin jazz sus jam would use the mixolydian scales.
    Yes I should have written Esus, thank you. I fixed it.

User Info Menu

Lesson 1-2, expanding comping choices

Working over the || F9sus4 / F9 / ||

Carlton has given these comping choices:

| Eb / F / |

| Eb / F E |

| Cm7 / F7 / |

| Cm9 / F13 / |

| Cm9 / Cm / |

I played around with those choices, a bit slower tempo. (Drums are from EZdrummer 2 and I'm playing bass, recorded in Reaper, video recorded with Samsung S8 smart phone, video editor the free VSDC)

User Info Menu

I started today too. Nice Job, Frank, If describing the lessons. I noticed on 1-2 He's also doing that sort of signature Matheny move of Cm9 - F7. Looking forward to the triad study next...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    I started today too. Nice Job, Frank, If describing the lessons. I noticed on 1-2 He's also doing that sort of signature Matheny move of Cm9 - F7. Looking forward to the triad study next...
    Yeah, I noticed the Metheny thing too. That's cool to know.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for each chapter, i.e. the new thread would be at 2-1. That way if others wanted to join later they would be able to post comments or performances in the correct area of the course. What do you think?

User Info Menu

You know what. I think it would be fine to confine it to this thread. keeps it in one place. but I would encourage late comers to post on earlier topics. If it becomes a mess later we can adjust. having it consolidated at the start may generate more interest too. I'll help you keep this thread going and fresh and we'll see where it takes us.

User Info Menu

I'm working on the common tones that Larry discusses in lesson 1-2. To that end...

- I've made a baking track of guitar comping, drums and bass
    - I've read through Larry's playing as notated. That notation sure is sloppy and hard to read.
    - I've practiced a bit just playing over my track

I'm still thinking of a practice plan. I have had good success with the Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing method of practicing with the connecting game and lick writing. I'm going to do similar for this course.

Connecting game over Cm to F, also Cm7 to F, also Cm7 to F7, also Eb to F. The connecting came is harder for triads than for 7th chords, at least for me.

Then I'm going to write a handful of licks that fit to the track.

User Info Menu

I'm milking this lesson too. on the surface it seems simplistic - connecting triads. Im working on connecting them without making them sound like triads connecting. I hope that makes sense...

so I'm working on soloing using the common tones, the Eb and F triads, the Cmin and F triads and also workin on inversions of triads.

I'm taking my time with this. not rushing through and just skimming the top. Sounds like you are too.

I peaked ahead a few lessons and it's going to get meatier meatier as we go along so I'm looking forward to more.

User Info Menu

btw - I'm also trying to incorporate those half and full bends in to common tones and triad tones. that really sweetens up the pie. There's a lot to do here

User Info Menu

Here is my take on using the common tones which are the 7th and 9th of the chords. For the F7 we have the Eb and G or inverted G and Eb which is a 6th. I like to play around with 6ths.

Bass, comping, solo me. Drums from EZDrummer 2. Samsung smart phone for video, VSDC video editor, Reaper DAW.

User Info Menu

Some notes (no pun intended) I made while viewing lesson 1-5
    Attached Images Attached Images Larry Carlton's 335 Improv study group-335-improv-lesson-1-5-jpg 

User Info Menu

okay. here's my 1 minute blast. I'm just using the backing track from trufire so the sound is not that great and just using my phone. Warts and all with a couple of nice moments.

User Info Menu

and another take for fun...

User Info Menu

Sounds really good Mike. The guitar sounds really good recorded through the phone. The backing track didn't record as well but the guitar is what matters and the playing is really good.

I'm still working on the triad bit so you are a bit ahead of me. I'll post something this coming week.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

thanks Frank. Yes, I really want to set up a better recording situation for myself so I can make my own backing tracks. I also dont have any video software yet so it's kinda bare bones for now.

I haven't moved on to the next section yet. but I probably will this week. I got another gig this week backing up somebody and I have 2 weeks to learn 12 tunes and be off book so I going to be a little busy but if you dont mind I'll be taking it a little slower over the next couple if weeks.

Really enjoying it! Good lessons from the man! I'm encouraged by anything that challenges the way I think and approach tunes. glad we're doing this.

User Info Menu

Hi Michael, if you do want to improve your recording setup I'm willing to go into some detail of what I have and do. It's not very expensive given you already have a computer. It does take a time investment to get up and running.

Cheers

User Info Menu

that would be helpful. Anything to get me started would be great. just a good basic home working station. unfortunately I've always left the recording process up to others so I'm behind the times in that regard. thank you!

Mike

User Info Menu

At a minimum, for audio recording, I think you should have:

- an audio interface
    - DAW software
    - Headphones
    - A mic and mic stand

I use this audio interface: Amazon.com: BEHRINGER Audio Interface, 4-Channel (UMC404HD): Musical Instruments

You can save some money by going for the 2 input version. I like the 4 input version as I have all this plugged in and ready to record 1) Vocal mic, 2) guitar amp mic ,3) bass amp mic, 4) Direct box. It's convenient but I've never used more than 2 inputs at a time.

I use Reaper as my DAW which is the favorite of many on this forum. It has incredible power and at $65 is a real bargain. It has great tutorial videos, and a great forum to help with the leaning process. REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

Cakewalk is also a good and powerful DAW that is now free. If I was starting over I'd be looking into that one also.

Also, if you use Apple you may already have Garage Band which also will get the job done.

Given you have some headphones and a mic and mic stand, for about $200 you'll have what you need.

If you take to it and are like me, you'll eventually want nearfield studio reference monitors which will be a more significant outlay. You can do pretty well for about $250. I'm thinking of getting these myself: Amazon.com: Behringer Truth B2030A High-Resolution, Active 2-Way Reference Studio Monitor Speaker: Musical Instruments

For video editing I use VSDC which is free. I chose that software as it has the features I want and will run on my laptop. The other video editors I tried kept freezing my computer and where unusable. Download Free Video Editor: best software for video editing.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Frank! Very helpful!

User Info Menu

My wife likes to listen to Larry Carlton. Here's the start of the tune, rhythm guitar, lead guitar melody and drum loop. Next I'll come up with bass or move onto the B section. Just wanted to share...

Box

User Info Menu

good start Frank. cant wait to hear the jam on this.

User Info Menu

Thinking triads. Sometimes playing triads, some playing "off of" triads, some playing pieces of triads and some spread triads.