The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

The last lesson of the first section of the course. Adding chromatics. Now that I've got my feet wet I can see how this course is laid out. Larry picks one of his tunes, in this first section it's Rio Samba, and he discusses the concepts he uses when comping and soloing over the tune. He then demonstrates each concept.

So there aren't any actual lines or licks to learn, you just try to use his concepts and come up with your own stuff. At least that is how I'm approaching it. For me this makes it more difficult than the other true fire courses I've done which tell you exactly what to play.

Here is my shot at applying the chromatic concept. A bit rough but there are a few lines I played that I'd like to develop and memorialize in my lick diary.

Last edited by fep; 02-06-2019 at 12:42 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds good Frank. That's a cool lesson. I got back on it this week a little bit. I'll have some time tomorrow to post up my progress. I went back through the first lessons again to pick up any missed ideas. I really worked on listening to the changes to try and improve my timing. I like the way Larry anticipates the changes and starts his phrasing on the key changes early. I want to get better at that. Get in front of the changes instead of behind, lol

User Info Menu

Here is a chromatic lick. I played a piece of this when I recorded the last video. I liked so I went back and expanded it and put it in my lick diary.
    Attached Images Attached Images Larry Carlton's 335 Improv study group-chromo-lick-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think I got worse, Frank. I hit some kind of wall. which usually means I'm over playing - trying to do too much instead of listening. Gonna back it down a little bit and see If I can just get a sweet little version. I cleaned up my guitar and trying to do a little cleaner version. Having fun but its clam season right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kaye
    I think I got worse, Frank. I hit some kind of wall. which usually means I'm over playing - trying to do too much instead of listening. Gonna back it down a little bit and see If I can just get a sweet little version. I cleaned up my guitar and trying to do a little cleaner version. Having fun but its clam season right now.
    Yeah Michael, I feel that way often myself. Next for me is I'm going to just record the melody bit for burnable

User Info Menu

Hey Frank how are you doing? I think I've taken lesson 1 about as far as I want to at this point so I'm wrapping it up. Sorry for the long rambling video. It's just nice have some semblance of contact with others here beside the written word so I made this video as a wrap up of what we covered in the first section.

Let me know how you're doing on this, Frank. I know you've put a lot of work in to this.

By the way, I don't know if your interested, but Matt started a "patterns for jazz" thread which I'm sure you've seen and I want to do that one too. But I am staying here and working on this one as well. You might like that thread too.

Mike

User Info Menu

Hey Mike, Really great video summary and wrap up. Somehow I missed your last post in my new post feed and I am just seeing this today. I like those suspended chords. Really nice lines too. I think you are really capturing the Larry concepts and spirit (5:15 to 5:20 brings to mind Jerry Garcia, Jerry and Larry, similar concepts). I've got to do a bit of review like that, it's been too long.

I'm still working on this too, and as you saw also joined the other group.

The melody of Lesson 2.

User Info Menu

Great, Frank! This is a lot of fun. I haven't started lesson 2 yet but I will here shortly. This one will be really interesting, I can tell.

See you over at the other thread too. That one is a riot. great bunch of guys and it's going to be a good ride for sure. I'm having a blast there as well.

User Info Menu

Comping over a static Db7#9 chord. In this lesson we use all these minor third movements for variation of comping choices.

Triads: Db E G Bb
    The 5th and 7th: for the chords Db E G Bb
    The 3rd and the 7th: for the chords Db E G Bb
    13th chords: Db13 E13 G13 Bb13

Here's my exercise experimenting with these ideas:

User Info Menu

Hi Frank

Thanks for the rig rundown :-) What do you use to create notation like the notes you attached to an earlier post in this thread?

Sorry the quote does not contain your pic for some reason...

SJ

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Some notes (no pun intended) I made while viewing lesson 1-5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    Hi Frank

Thanks for the rig rundown :-) What do you use to create notation like the notes you attached to an earlier post in this thread?

Sorry the quote does not contain your pic for some reason...

SJ
    I'm using MuseScore for the notation and it is free.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'm using MuseScore for the notation and it is free.
    Cool! Thanks - I'll check it out. That's a lot more legible than my chicken-scratching!