The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has an email address for Mick....I am really hoping to get some information on his new work with dyads and hidden fifths....if anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it being sent.
    thanks
    p

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1- Welcome to the forum
    2- Mick Goodrick | Berklee College of Music

User Info Menu

Yep, welcome to the Forum!

Find @Truthhertz - he's good friends with Mick. He may be able to pass the word on for you ... (not sure if Mick has email ...)

Marc

User Info Menu

Hidden Fifth:

an unsounded musical interval of a fifth that is implied by the similar up or down motion of two voice parts and that if sounded would produce consecutive fifths

New term for me...

User Info Menu

Sounds like a book I would very much like to have, Mick is incredible!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    Hidden Fifth:

an unsounded musical interval of a fifth that is implied by the similar up or down motion of two voice parts and that if sounded would produce consecutive fifths

New term for me...
    Nadia Boulanger kills a kitten every time you write one.

User Info Menu

339 in June has his correct contact information. As far as new publications, yes there are works on dyads and horn fifths. These are things he shares with his private students when asked but he has no plans to publish them. I'm trying to organize and format these things and other things too. If I get stuff into a form I can share here, maybe we'll start a thread to explore some applications? Mick wouldn't have any problem with that if it means it finds the music. Would that be an interesting proposition swansong?
    Understand that with any of Mick's materials, your own imagination and course for application is up to you, and although they hold the promise of discovering sounds never heard, it takes a fair amount of self motivated and self initiated desire to turn it into usable music.
    This stuff if not a vacation package; it's an invitation to a walkabout...if you get my drift.

David

User Info Menu

Thanks, David!
    Whatever happened to the "Falling Grace" book with Tim Miller??

Marc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thanks, David!
    Whatever happened to the "Falling Grace" book with Tim Miller??

Marc
    Yeah!! What happened to that?

you know I'm up for the challenge David!

User Info Menu

Keep me posted any and all study material related to Mick!

PK

Love your playing Paul!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I'm lucky to have spent some time studying with Mick, I'm happy too share what I've learned here on the forum.

PK

User Info Menu

David might know the answer to this tangential question.

I know Boulanger taught in Boston at one point? Was there any connection to later teachers in the area like Banacos etc? There were presumably a few ex students of hers knocking around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    David might know the answer to this tangential question.

I know Boulanger taught in Boston at one point? Was there any connection to later teachers in the area like Banacos etc? There were presumably a few ex students of hers knocking around.
    I'm not as tied to the Boston scene as David is, but I studied with Banacos. I certainly wouldn't rule it out -- he was very open and inquisitive when it came to different methods. But he had his own way of looking at chords and voice leading, and from what I know of Boulanger, there weren't a lot of surface similarities.

Easley Blackwood, a composer based out of Chicago with a long teaching career (he makes a brief cameo in George Lewis' AACM book), studied with Boulanger quite extensively in Paris, and wrote a self-published harmony book that was ostensibly based off her teachings. It's not radically different from most harmony textbooks, although it's quite rigorous and presentation of material diverges quite a bit from Piston/Kostka and the like.

I spent an afternoon hanging out with Blackwood in his apartment. I asked him what it was like studying with Boulanger, and he laughed and said, "Well... she did things you couldn't get away with anymore."

Emailed mick, but no dice. Would love to have a study group on here regarding dyads and horn fifths though

User Info Menu

Mick's between semesters, and besides, he's gotten some negative push back of late regarding his teaching art perspectives as a means of gaining a richer approach to guitar. They made him take his artwork down from his office, so he hasn't spent a whole lot of time there. I'm a bit busy myself but yes I'd love to have a study group here. I don't know how popular those things are around here, it seems to be a preponderance of vocal staunch traditionalists here so I'm not so inclined to post a lot. But let's see.

Anyone want something interesting to listen to?

David

That is beautiful!! Thanks david

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Mick's between semesters, and besides, he's gotten some negative push back of late regarding his teaching art perspectives as a means of gaining a richer approach to guitar. They made him take his artwork down from his office, so he hasn't spent a whole lot of time there. I'm a bit busy myself but yes I'd love to have a study group here. I don't know how popular those things are around here, it seems to be a preponderance of vocal staunch traditionalists here so I'm not so inclined to post a lot. But let's see.

David
    Who's this "they?"

Making an artist take his artwork down...wow. Pardon my French, but that's some fucking bullshit.

User Info Menu

Mick's between semesters, and besides, he's gotten some negative push back of late regarding his teaching art perspectives as a means of gaining a richer approach to guitar. They made him take his artwork down from his office, so he hasn't spent a whole lot of time there.
    when are the jackweeds gonna learn that to be an artist is not to separate one art from the other ..but to make everything one does art...the way one walks...draws...just holds a guitar...stirs a marinara...chumps

best to mick g..being a true teacher these days is rough stuff

cheers

User Info Menu

Mick is as great a teacher as they come! Give him the best regards from an old Greek student of his!

User Info Menu

David
    WTF???? That sucks, man. Am I going out on a limb to say this is a sign of an increasingly corporate aspect to music education?

To me it makes total sense to combine the visual and the musical. Even if it didn't, it seems petty and pointless.

You know, I get the impression you think I'm some sort of bebop fundamentalist, but I appreciate diversity in music and teaching. Goodrick is a legend among jazz guitar players of course. The fact that he's not been a huge influence on ME is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. And I appreciate the broadness and imagination of his teaching materials.

The idea that he could have his wings clipped in this way is kind of massively depressing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You know, I get the impression you think I'm some sort of bebop fundamentalist, but I appreciate diversity in music and teaching. Goodrick is a legend among jazz guitar players of course. The fact that he's not been a huge influence on ME is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. And I appreciate the broadness and imagination of his teaching materials.

The idea that he could have his wings clipped in this way is kind of massively depressing.
    I surely see a convergence in our circles christianm77 and I do hold a great respect for your views, ideas and perspective, just to be clear. And just so we can know the story and let it be taken as it will, the issue centres around artwork which Mick has had displayed in his private albeit official office. We had run sessions going back a decade now; art/music and modeling sessions where musicians and artists alike practiced their art with active discussions on the approaches of right brain thinking. It proved to be a revolutionary approach, and for Mick it meant that his teaching music increasingly drew on techniques and awareness from our art school kin. As far as I knew it was unknown territory to make/teach music within the world of life drawing, painting and modeling/movement.
    He had some artwork that depicted the human form, inspirations from all corners of the art world too, which he'd use when teaching drawing as the door that can unlock musical thinking.
    Well it seems the powers that be at Berklee found this artwork to be offensive (after systematically sheltering rapists and child molesters on faculty for decades-ironic?) and he was told that his artwork had to be taken down.
    It's one thing to use art as a springboard for discussion (one option) and another to be told that what you teach is inappropriate and considered a violation of policy where you are entrusted to broaden the minds of students.

I think that's all that should be said though. Those are the facts that be and Mick was more than saddened by the turn of events. I will say that many students, male, female, rock, jazz, metal, music, art, and educational, have reached out to me and expressed their support for him and their outrage at such blatant ignorant censorship.
    Some may ask "What does art have to do with the music I'm paying tuition to learn?". That might be an interesting discussion at some point, there or here.

David

User Info Menu

I vaguely recall that in the early 70s Mick had some sort of beef with Berklee. As a result, he was not on staff, so a lot of students would trudge the few blocks to his apartment for lessons to supplement the Berklee guitar lessons. At the time, Mick was the hipper alternative to the staff guitar teachers, many of whom were from the military bands, Vegas type acts or older radio-TV orchestras. Most were good players and teachers, but not necessarily plugged in to the music of the day (circa 1971-2, when Benson and Martino were up and coming artists and before Metheny even arrived at Berklee).

David, maybe you can fill in the blanks?

User Info Menu

David, is that recording of you and Mick???!!