The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

i tend to think of playing music intuitively as meaning playing 'by ear' vs learning from books and lessons ... am i right? if i am, then i'd say that i play intuitively ... ? i listen carefully, absorb some but not not all that i hear, and then i go for it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    i tend to think of playing music intuitively as meaning playing 'by ear' vs learning from books and lessons ... am i right? if i am, then i'd say that i play intuitively ... ? i listen carefully, absorb some but not not all that i hear, and then i go for it.
    So if you start off playing by ear then later learn from books and lessons, your intuition disappears and you can no longer play intuitively?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    So if you start off playing by ear then later learn from books and lessons, your intuition disappears and you can no longer play intuitively?
    hmm, i honestly don't know! ideally, an intuitive player wouldn't lose confidence in their native abilities after getting 'educated,' and would learn to rely on both the ear and the knowledge gained from books/lessons.

User Info Menu

I think in the end, if you try to shine a light on what "intuition" really is, there is no such thing. It's like trying to find the "mind". There's only the brain.

User Info Menu

I think in the end, if you try to shine a light on what "intuition" really is, there is no such thing. It's like trying to find the "mind". There's only the brain.
    that is a materialist point of view. not everyone understands existence to be that way.

User Info Menu

How did we get from jazz to the personal hell that is my godless universe?

User Info Menu

I think in the end, if you try to shine a light on what "intuition" really is, there is no such thing ...
    i think there probably is, although you might not like the concept. i was just referring to the ability to play music without having studied it.

User Info Menu

As long as what people mean is clear, it doesn't matter how they word it.
    Intuition or instinct in this case just means the persons own musical ideas without a knowledge of the theory that might be behind it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
    As long as what people mean is clear, it doesn't matter how they word it.
    Intuition or instinct in this case just means the persons own musical ideas without a knowledge of the theory that might be behind it.
    And hereth ends the lesson! Well put Joe!

Eddie

User Info Menu

How did we get from jazz to the personal hell that is my godless universe?
    How do you get a personal "hell" in a godless universe?...