Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

3 Must Know Major Scale Licks

Hi all

Just passing along a new article I published yesterday. Each of these licks are examples I use with my student's on create jazz lines only using notes from the major scale.

Here is the link

3 Must Know Jazz Licks - JamieHolroydGuitar.com

Thanks
    Play Better Jazz Guitar Chords in 30 Days

JamieHolroydGuitar.com - Countless Free Jazz & Blues Guitar Lessons & Resources

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I don't buy this "must know" nonsense, it creates the impression for novices that "must know" means what it does when you say you "must know" basic chord grips, arpeggios, or scale positions. These things are way closer to "must knows", whilst a coupla cliched licks that no good player would dare use these days is way closer to "must avoid" !

... ok, I'm exaggerating... but why not just say " here's a coupla handy licks that beginners might find interesting"... ? I'll wager there are thousands of great jazz guitarists that don't know those licks....

I agree about the power of the major scale.
    "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts

3 Must Know Major Scale Licks-must-know-major-scale-jazz-licks-example-3-1024x372-jpg

I think the most important thing in that lesson could be the way this lick was written down. Guess it's good example of what Bird and alike bunch did with rhythm.

The natural way, for me at least, would be: pause + 1/8 + 6 /8 + triplet + 2/8
    Instead, he has: pause + 1/8 + 5/8 + triplet (on off beat) + 1/8 + 2/8,

Effectively sounding like: 6/8 (starting on off beat) + triplet (on off beat) + 1/8 (pick up) + 2/8 (be-bop).
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Gosh, is that it? Wow. Try this:

3 Must Know Major Scale Licks-untitled-jpg

Or this:

3 Must Know Major Scale Licks-6-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    3 Must Know Major Scale Licks-must-know-major-scale-jazz-licks-example-3-1024x372-jpg

I think the most important thing in that lesson could be the way this lick was written down. Guess it's good example of what Bird and alike bunch did with rhythm.

The natural way, for me at least, would be: pause + 1/8 + 6 /8 + triplet + 2/8
    Instead, he has: pause + 1/8 + 5/8 + triplet (on off beat) + 1/8 + 2/8,

Effectively sounding like: 6/8 (starting on off beat) + triplet (on off beat) + 1/8 (pick up) + 2/8 (be-bop).
    LOL, jsut checked that lesson again and found out that in the mean time author have changed notation for the lick. - Off with the most important thing-. LOL!
    Now it's in the shape I described as being "natural" for me:

3 Must Know Major Scale Licks-must-know-major-scale-jazz-licks-example-3-1024x359-jpg

Nevertheless, I think it's a good lesson all together, in spite of click-bite title. Much better than someone talking for half an hour without saying anything. If the title was: "You have to be able to play these 3 licks, if you want to play Jazz", I think it would receive warmer welcome.

EDIT: Additionally,very good exercise would be to move the triplet around. IMO, developing that one skill makes for large percentage of so-called be-bop language.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Thanks all - the notation has been corrected!

Here is one for the Harmonic Minor Scale too

3 Harmonic Minor Scale Licks for Jazz Guitar

Hi Jamie - proof read your article again. the raised 7 shold be D#, not B, if I'm not totally mistaken...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

It's very easy to make mistakes.

I make such dumb mistakes sometimes I wonder about myself.

I compliment you on the way you handled the criticism.
    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.” - Alan Wilson Watts

Thanks guys - mistakes corrected. Sorry about that.

Thanks. My summary:

1> Enclosure of the Tonic
    2> Descending Major 7th arpeggio to the 6th
    3> Ornithology lick with an added triplet upper neighbor tone

Good stuff.

OT: Just in case somebody looking here doesn't know, the Barry Harris 5432 phrases are a must know for the major scale too.
    I also have 3 must know Bill Evans major scale phrases

I have one go-to riff. And, its not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop View Post
    OT: Just in case somebody looking here doesn't know, the Barry Harris 5432 phrases are a must know for the major scale too.
    I also have 3 must know Bill Evans major scale phrases
    And every other scale! Those phrases in minor I like very much.

You know, I don’t really know any of the must know stuff. I have about three licks that I play on every solo lol.

Anyway, improvising on major chords is for chumps. Everyone knows they are jazz retardant. Play on the dominant and minor and then when a major chord comes along look a bit shifty

[QUOTE=christianm77;925062
    You know, I don’t really know any of the must know stuff. I have about three licks that I play on every solo lol.
    [/QUOTE]

Three is enough if you keep changing the audience.

licks are for dogs and cats.

"unzip a banana."

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler View Post

Three is enough if you keep changing the audience.

Audience? What is ‘audience’?

him? no thats the bartender
    robbro

The Bartender definitely has better riffs that I do.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed