The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Here is my Measures 1-32 (1st & 2nd verses/D.S. al Coda and Coda)

We have been snowed in over the last few days here in the shire. So I have had a go at making up a different solo for the second time around.

Next week hopefully I will get the whole thing done, before we move on to the very last project.

Has anyone given any thought with regards to continuing with the Conti material, perhaps a Jazz Lines study group?

andyb
    Great job taking it to the next level Andy! I loved your second solo. Very impressive.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Great job taking it to the next level Andy! I loved your second solo. Very impressive.
    Thanks Joe, what do you think about doing “Jazz Lines” as a study group?

Thanks Joe, what do you think about doing “Jazz Lines” as a study group?
    Hi Andy,

I'm planning to take some time off from study groups for at least a couple of months. My #1 goal for 2019 is to have a (memorized) repertoire of 6-8 solo chord melody arrangements and 4-5 standards that I could play with other musicians.

I am also planning on going back over the TTI material so that I am able to use the lines interchangeably over different tunes and chord progressions. I believe this is the objective of the TTI series of lessons. Given where I am as a guitar player, I've had to spend most of my time in this study group working on improving my technique, getting the lines under my fingers , and memorizing the solos. This is a necessary first step, but I'd like to take a second pass at the TTI material with an emphasis on the theory (reusing the lines) rather than just on the mechanics (learning the shapes).

BTW, I always have some Conti material on or near my music stand! I really like the Jazz Lines material and I refer to it often.

User Info Menu

So is there no plan to continue on to "Georgia on my mind?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Yes I believe we are going on to "Georgia on my mind" next, I was asking about what happens after that. My understanding is the TTI solos are to get some Jazz language under our fingers, then to move on to "Jazz Lines" that explains how to apply the lines.

I was just testing the water before ordering DVD.

andyb

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hi Lawson. I absolutely plan on continuing on to Vol 4/Proj 4: "Georgia On My Mind"! Cheers.

User Info Menu

Full solo done, looking forward to Georgia on my mind.

Full solo done, looking forward to Georgia on my mind.
    That was a great take Andy! I think it was your best work to date. I enjoyed the whole solo but in particular the second verse when you deviated from the script and added lots of personal touches. Congrats on the big finish!

I plan on wrapping up this project this weekend (with new inspiration) and then we can move on to our final project, Georgia On My Mind.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 02-13-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Here is my final take on Bluesette. I played the head, the two-chorus solo (our project), and then repeated the head. Warning, the video is over 3 minutes even played at 112 bpm. There are a few clams and I kind of mangled the blues licks at the end of the tune. But it is time to move on. I was surprised at how much I struggled with the 3/4 feel. I just never felt comfortably in a groove with this solo. But it was certainly a learning experience.

I will post a link for the new (final!) project later today in a separate thread.

Here is the link to our final project (Volume 4, Project 4: Georgia On My Mind).

Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 4 (Georgia On My Mind)

Hope to see you all over at the "Georgia" project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here is my final take on Bluesette. I played the head, the two-chorus solo (our project), and then repeated the head. Warning, the video is over 3 minutes even played at 112 bpm. There are a few clams and I kind of mangled the blues licks at the end of the tune. But it is time to move on. I was surprised at how much I struggled with the 3/4 feel. I just never felt comfortably in a groove with this solo. But it was certainly a learning experience.

I will post a link for the new (final!) project later today in a separate thread.

Well done, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

I really hope that we can get everyone who has taken part in the TTI study group together for the last project, now that would be something!

User Info Menu

Well I'm late to the party, but here's my first and last take on this tune:

I fumbled a bit on the vamp at the end, but didn't have time to try another take. Oh, well. I'm going to try and get in on the "Georgia On My Mind" thread too before it's over.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    Well I'm late to the party, but here's my first and last take on this tune...I'm going to try and get in on the "Georgia On My Mind" thread too before it's over.
    Chris
    Well done Chris! Glad to see you are still hanging with us. Georgia is a fun solo. I'm running late and it is our last project so you have plenty of time.

Cheers,
    Joe

User Info Menu

Great job Chris, are you using a thin pick there? Your gonna love Georgia.

I am going to start The Jazz Lines material next, if anyone wants to work through that with me?

andyb

User Info Menu

Great job Chris, are you using a thin pick there? Your gonna love Georgia.

I am going to start The Jazz Lines material next, if anyone wants to work through that with me?

andyb
    I'm actually using a 1.5mm Jazz III tortex pick. The 0.38mm pick Robert Conti uses is too thin for me, I can barely get any sound out of the guitar, but I also use heaver strings than him. I also have the same picks at one step heavier, (0.46mm), and I really like the feel. I can play much faster. But it makes my guitars sound much brighter, so I'm sticking with the Jazz III for now.

I purchased Conti's Satin Doll and Green Dolphin Street advanced solos a while ago so I would like to give one of those a shot before getting into The Jazz Lines. And I'm honestly not sure I would want to do a study group with that one because it would be difficult to pace and I'm having enough trouble just staying on task on these TTI threads. But I would certainly follow and chime in occasionally if a group gets going.

I'm looking forward to "Georgia"!

-Chris