The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 4: Project 3 (Bluesette)

All are welcome!

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Note: This project is tricky since it includes a Coda... I will do my best to break the work into appropriate chunks... As always, post whatever you feel is appropriate!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

• January 8: Measures 1-8
    • January 15: Measures 1-16
    • January 22: Measures 1-24
    • January 29: Measures 1-28 (1st verse, 1st ending)
    • February 5: Measures 1-32 (1st & 2nd verses/D.S. al Coda and Coda)
    • February 12: Measures 1-46 (full solo with D.S. al Coda and Coda and Ending Vamp)
    • February 19: Final take (optional)

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 02-02-2019 at 05:30 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 4: Project 3 (Bluesette)

All are welcome!

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Note: This project is another long solo... 46 bars to memorize... Bring it on!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:

• January 8: Measures 1-8
    • January 15: Measures 1-16
    • January 22: Measures 1-24
    • January 29: Measures 1-32
    • February 5: Measures 1-40
    • February 12: Measures 1-46 (full solo)
    • February 19: Final take (optional)

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    I am in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

OK, this is one of the Rob Conti DVD's I don't own but a new year makes for new resolutions. If I can get a copy in time I'd like to give this a try-along. Had to listen to the tune to remind myself of it (Have both a Howard Roberts version and the Pass/Fitzgerald version, assume that's the track).

User Info Menu

Hy friends!
    Here are some free transcription videos from Joe Pass, George Benson, Miles Davis, etc...
    Maybe they are inspirations to the improvisation!

Montor Mate
    - YouTube

Have a nice day, Mate

User Info Menu

Do you find the rote memorization of songs using the Conti method transfers over to your learning of non-Conti songs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Do you find the rote memorization of songs using the Conti method transfers over to your learning of non-Conti songs?
    Yes, because (a) he uses very popular standards that get played at jam sessions and (b) he uses a fairly limited musical vocabulary that you learn to use in various contexts. Typically the fourth tune on a DVD will explicitly reference the lines duplicated from previous solos. Once the group actually took another tune entirely and we all did solos on it using the phrases learned in the previous 4 tunes.

So it's pretty "transferable" material. The genius of it, in my view, is that your fingers will say "Hey we've played this before" but your mind will be saying "But this is a different chord progression..." and you start seeing how licks and lines can be moved around.

For a strong intermediate player or advanced player, these solos would not be very challenging; but for folks trying to learn improvisation using tunes, and for folks who also would like, as a secondary benefit, to actually end up with something they can play with friends or at pick-up jam sessions, it's quite helpful.

Hi Drumbler -- I agree with everything that Lawson wrote. Additionally, Conti does not encourage rote memorization. Yes, each project has a transcribed solo to memorize, but Conti always encourages you (and shows you examples of how) to make the lines your own based on your ability and what sounds good to you. There is so much more to his methodology than just memorizing a static solo. Cheers.

Happy 2019 Conti Study Group!

Here is my take on bars 1-10. Note that Conti's arrangement begins with a 4 measure intro with the pickup notes beginning at measure 4 of the intro. For simplicity sake, I follow the bar numbering in the PDF. So bar 1 is the first bar of the intro.

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe, bars 1-10 to start with and your sounding great as usual.

I have been working on comping and playing along, here is my 1-10.

Andyb

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Thanks Joe, bars 1-10 to start with and your sounding great as usual.

I have been working on comping and playing along, here is my 1-10.
    Andyb
    Very cool Andy! I liked both the comping and your take on the solo.

User Info Menu

Nice work both -- am learning the track but have no great ability to record a video (pic in pic AndyB, impressed!!). Just to say, am keeping up so far, and imagine I'm not the only one wary of video-ing ourselves. Did not immediately like the track when I watched the Conti version but as always, his lines have a way of working themselves into my head. Guess people are moving onto bars 9-16 now....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    Nice work both -- am learning the track but have no great ability to record a video (pic in pic AndyB, impressed!!). Just to say, am keeping up so far, and imagine I'm not the only one wary of video-ing ourselves. Did not immediately like the track when I watched the Conti version but as always, his lines have a way of working themselves into my head. Guess people are moving onto bars 9-16 now....
    Thanks for the kind words, video-ing is a bit daunting at first, but have a go, its a great way to practice playing under some pressure. You can just use your phone for the vid it doesn't need to be fancy.

I am working on bars 1-16 now, that should put me on track for next week.

Looking forward to your take.

andyb

User Info Menu

Hey guys. I'm running WAAAY behind but plan to get with the program pretty soon here.

Quote Originally Posted by odel
    Hi odel, Thanks for the update. Glad to have you in the group. Before starting this study group I had never recorded myself. The thought of posting my videos for all to see is still a frightening proposition. But like most things, the more you do it, the easier (less hard?) it gets. I also agree that on first take, I wasn't a big fan of this particular solo but the more I play it the more I enjoy it. The 3/4 time is still causing some issues for me. And yes, I am working on getting bars 1-16 under my fingers. Cheers.

Here is my take on bars 1-18. I opted to modify the rhythm for measure 11. I use the same notes but I start on the "and" of 1 and make the next 3 notes (F natural, A, C) a triplet. The rest of the solo is stock.

User Info Menu

Very nice Joe. I have just done 1-16, that puts me on schedule for this week.

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24.

Here's my take on measures 1-28 (including the 4 bar intro). It is the first verse of the solo. I played the solo as written except for modifying the rhythm slightly in measures 11 and 25.

I'm a bit ahead of schedule but as always, post what you can, when you can. Next week I hope to take a first pass at the head plus the first 24 bar solo.

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Bars 1-24.
    Well done Andy! Your feel for the solo fit in very nicely with the backing track. I liked it!

User Info Menu

Guys I hate to have to do this, but I am going to have to skip this tune due to the weight of work commitments. I will continue to listen to your playing and cheer you on, but I will have to step back for the next month or so.

All the best!

Since I posted this week's assignment (measures 1-28) last week, I thought I would post the solo (mm 1-28) along with the first 24 bars of the head (as I transcribed it from the 1964 Toots Thielemans recording). I bumped the beats per minute to 109 from 104).

User Info Menu

Great stuff joe, here is my 1-28.(1st verse, 1st ending)

Plus a rough go at 1-32.(1st & 2nd verses/D.S. al Coda and Coda)

Here is my take on the full solo except the ending vamp. I expect to spend the next week or two working on the head, solo, and ending vamp. Sadly I still haven't memorized the chords to the tune. Lots of work still left before moving on to our next (and final) project. Cheers.

Last edited by losaltosjoe; 02-03-2019 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Here is my Measures 1-32 (1st & 2nd verses/D.S. al Coda and Coda)

We have been snowed in over the last few days here in the shire. So I have had a go at making up a different solo for the second time around.

Next week hopefully I will get the whole thing done, before we move on to the very last project.

Has anyone given any thought with regards to continuing with the Conti material, perhaps a Jazz Lines study group?

andyb