The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 60

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 4: Project 2 (Wave)

All are welcome!

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:

• We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Note: This project appears to be a doozy! Forty-four bars to memorize...

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:
    • October 30: Measures 1-8
    • November 6: Measures 1-16
    • November 13: Measures 1-24
    • November 20: Measures 1-32
    • November 27: Measures 1-40
    • December 4: Measures 1-44 (full solo)
    • December 11: Final take (optional)

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm in. I already know the head (chord-melody style) but I've always felt stymied trying to solo over it. SO this will be fun!

User Info Menu

IN

User Info Menu

I started messing around with the solo today and got this take. Over time, for those of us who've done a good many of these, it seems like it really does get easier!

User Info Menu

I'm in !!

User Info Menu

Blooper Reel from today's practice. I should re-name this solo "I Can't Get Started"

Using the Jamey Aebersold Vol. 31 backing track

Here's my take on the first 8 bars. Fun stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's my take on the first 8 bars. Fun stuff!

Nice tone, nice groove. Nailed it Joe !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here is mine for the week-I have a very intense week coming up and thought I'd get this done beforehand. I also thought it would be fun to go ahead and try integrating the head into the clips, so this is the head + mm. 1-16 of the solo.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here is mine for the week-I have a very intense week coming up and thought I'd get this done beforehand. I also thought it would be fun to go ahead and try integrating the head into the clips, so this is the head + mm. 1-16 of the solo.
    Smooth as silk Lawson! It sounds like you've put in some real work on this tune. Sounds great. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Smooth as silk Lawson! It sounds like you've put in some real work on this tune. Sounds great. Congrats!
    Actually I've been playing "Wave" for a good 25 years, but still feel very shaky playing solos over the changes.

Here's my take on bars 1-16. I played it pretty much as written.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-16. I played it pretty much as written.

Cleanly played. Lovely tone from that L5 as well. I'm enjoying this solo a bit more than some of the others. Partly because this is such an interesting tune. Chord changes follow traditional harmony but in unusual ways.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, you are doing really well and sounding great, I have fallen behind so sorry for the late entry, hopefully I can catch up.
    Here is bars 1-16.

Andyb

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Hi Guys, you are doing really well and sounding great, I have fallen behind so sorry for the late entry, hopefully I can catch up.
    Here is bars 1-16.
    Andyb
    Nice playing Andy! Loved the tone from the Tele.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Here is bars 1-16.

Andyb
    Study Groups are made up of those who play and those who don't. You play! Nice job on that, and if you keep getting such nice tone from that tele you're going to hurt the archtop guitars' feelings around here!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I must admit I feel more comfortable with a tele, I have one of the DV Mark Little Jazz amps now, and am really happy with the sound.

Here's my take on bars 1-24. This one caused me some grief rhythmically, so instead of the first triplet in bar 19, I played just an F as a quarter note on the "and "of beat 1 (same rhythm as bar 17). Bars 23 & 24 also took some work to execute cleanly.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-24. This one caused me some grief rhythmically, so instead of the first triplet in bar 19, I played just an F as a quarter note on the "and "of beat 1 (same rhythm as bar 17). Bars 23 & 24 also took some work to execute cleanly.
    Yes! Sounds nice and you do some nice variations on the rhythmic phrasing.

User Info Menu

So here's my clip for the week. I don't know why, but this is one of my more favorite projects of the Conti program.

User Info Menu

Hey Guys
    A couple of you know I bought Joe D.'s ES175. I have one very similar, almost identical, but Joe's price was irresistible and I know how he sets them up, so I'll likely hang on to his and maybe sell the other. No point having to virtually identical ES175s!

So I played it this afternoon working ahead on the "Wave" solo and thought I'd post here so you could hear the new axe!

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Hey Guys
    A couple of you know I bought Joe D.'s ES175. I have one very similar, almost identical, but Joe's price was irresistible and I know how he sets them up, so I'll likely hang on to his and maybe sell the other. No point having to virtually identical ES175s!

So I played it this afternoon working ahead on the "Wave" solo and thought I'd post here so you could hear the new axe!
    Hi Lawson, Congrats again on the new ES175! Glad to know that it made it to you safely. I really enjoyed both clips of bars 1-24. I share your enthusiasm for this solo. It feels and sounds like a real jazz solo (and not one which has been "dumb-ed down" for us recreational players).

User Info Menu

I just can't stop playing this ES175 and moved ahead a little, so thought I'd post mm1-40, just for fun. This guitar is so nice. If you ever get to buy a guitar from Joe D., you are in for a treat. Not only was it devoid of any dings, it didn[t even have FINGERPRINTS on it. I don't' know how he managed that!

So here's mm. 1-40 with the Jamie Aebersold Vol. 31 backing track, using the second chorus:

Here is this week's assignment, bars 1-32. In honor of Lawson's new guitar, I thought I'd use my ES-175.

Is anyone else having trouble memorizing this solo? Tough to get old... Still 12 bars to go!

User Info Menu

Here is this week's assignment, bars 1-32. In honor of Lawson's new guitar, I thought I'd use my ES-175.

Is anyone else having trouble memorizing this solo? Tough to get old... Still 12 bars to go!
    Solidly done. Clean, and you have some personal touches in there too.