The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Unless I have some major breakthrough with the octaves, this is my final take on the solo. Still not happy with the octaves, still getting that 12th fret harmonic on the "D" octaves. I should re-position, but I hate thinking that every time I play octaves I can't use the 12th fret.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the solo and enjoyed learning it and playing it. I likely won't do another post with the head+solo unless you guys want to do that too, then I'm happy to play!
    Lawson, I think you ended the project on a high note! Congrats. I am also enjoying learning this solo (octaves notwithstanding).

As an aside, do you experience an octave harmonic problem when you play bars 41-44 with your L5? With my L5, I find that I don't have to re-position the octaves. But I'm not sure why...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Lawson, I think you ended the project on a high note! Congrats. I am also enjoying learning this solo (octaves notwithstanding).

As an aside, do you experience an octave harmonic problem when you play bars 41-44 with your L5? With my L5, I find that I don't have to re-position the octaves. But I'm not sure why...
    Maybe the long scale gives you a little more space and so you can fret the D on the 4th string but not be just right for the harmonic on the 3rd? I need to see if that happens on mine. That harmonic is driving me bonkers.

User Info Menu

This is my final-final for-real last post, with the head and solo. The octaves are still not as I'd want, but I am ready to move on and work on the octaves as I review the solo after moving on to the next project.

Gibson ES175 played through a DVMark Micro50 head and an 8" 4 ohm speaker, mic'd with a Shure SM57, going along with the backing track to a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo and thence to my iPhone 6s.

Here is my final take on Volume 4, Project 2: Wave.

First a few thoughts... When we started this project on October 18, 2018, Wave was a tune I was familiar with and liked. However, I had never played it, let alone woodshedded it. So I was starting almost from square one. In less than 8 weeks I was able to produce this video. As a recreational guitar player, this represents tangible progress. So let me take a minute to thank this study group for your support and to Mr. Conti for providing a structure and learning methodology that seems to work for me (i.e., I need to be spoon-fed useful information, 2 bars at a time).

I really enjoyed but struggled with this project. It took lots and lots of practice to memorize the solo and the head. It also took many takes to get a relatively clean one that I was willing to post. As I was mangling take after take, I decided to increase the bpm from 104 to 108. Interestingly enough, the change triggered something in my muscle memory (fear?) that allowed me to produce this take. There are definitely some clams (octaves, damn octaves) and I would like it to be smoother but it is time to cut bait and move on to the next project (Bluesette).

p.s., I plan on coming back to this project and lifting some of Lawson's tasty fills. His ending harmonics are also worth stealing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here is my final take on Volume 4, Project 2: Wave.

First a few thoughts... When we started this project on October 18, 2018, Wave was a tune I was familiar with and liked. However, I had never played it, let alone woodshedded it. So I was starting almost from square one. In less than 8 weeks I was able to produce this video. As a recreational guitar player, this represents tangible progress. So let me take a minute to thank this study group for your support and to Mr. Conti for providing a structure and learning methodology that seems to work for me (i.e., I need to be spoon-fed useful information, 2 bars at a time).

I really enjoyed but struggled with this project. It took lots and lots of practice to memorize the solo and the head. It also took many takes to get a relatively clean one that I was willing to post. As I was mangling take after take, I decided to increase the bpm from 104 to 108. Interestingly enough, the change triggered something in my muscle memory (fear?) that allowed me to produce this take. There are definitely some clams (octaves, damn octaves) and I would like it to be smoother but it is time to cut bait and move on to the next project (Bluesette).

p.s., I plan on coming back to this project and lifting some of Lawson's tasty fills. His ending harmonics are also worth stealing...
    Very nice! I like your treatment of the melody a bit better than my own, which I've never really played with exact accuracy. Great tone too. With the head and a solo, you're ready to play this thing somewhere!

Here is the link to our next project (Volume 4, Project 3: Bluesette).

Robert Conti TTI Vol 4 Project 3 (Bluesette)

I hope the group doesn't mind that the project officially starts in January. I thought people could use some time to catch up, learn Christmas tunes, or simply have some downtown over the Holidays. Of course, you are free to get a jump on the next project. Your input is always welcome.

User Info Menu

I'm good with a January start!

User Info Menu

Sorry guys,

Life has taken me away for the past few months but I did not want to leave this work behind so I am posting my six month late assignment on Robert Conti's Wave.

Wave video

User Info Menu

Sorry guys,

Life has taken me away for the past few months but I did not want to leave this work behind so I am posting my six month late assignment on Robert Conti's Wave.
    Great job! I learned this one over six weeks ago but haven't had time to record. I guess I'll have to get to work on that.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Sorry guys,

Wave video
    I really enjoyed that Doublea A! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    I learned this one over six weeks ago but haven't had time to record. I guess I'll have to get to work on that.

Chris
    Looking forward to hearing your take on this project Chris.