The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Posts 551 to 575 of 618

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think learning to slur in a jazz way is helpful - hammering and pulling off on the off beats onto the beat.

Hear the phrase. That’s really important. If you can hear it clearly on your head it’s easier to play.
    I’ve been playing along with Barry, phrase by individual phrase from Hot House on his “Plays Tadd Dameron” album, in a loop, and I’ve found I can’t replicate the dynamics of a Barry phrase when I pick every note—I must hammer-on and pull-off to find the right balance between the loud notes and the quiet notes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

practice log: boredom can spark creativity

practice log: did pretty good at 170 today

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    practice log: did pretty good at 170 today
    That's way to light for a man your height.

User Info Menu

Yeah. I haven't been at 170 since my late teens.

played through at 180 yesterday-- tried 190

User Info Menu

I pick every note unless I want a specific articulation.

What did Peter and Adam from You'll Hear It say?

"Number one on the list is focus on your BREATHING"

I would add what Chris '77 said--but I would go a step further (yeah, "mr. what's wrong with the internet"--I'm one upping you )

Be strategic with your metronome--if you practice with one (I do). Put the click on every two measures. Here's some maths to help if you need to figure it out...

every two measures means 8 beats

let's say you want to play at... 200bpm

divide 8 into 200 (200/8)

and we get 25

So you would set your metronobile to 25 bpm--get a metronomy that can go this low--trust me, it's F-U-N

Now clap every half note.

Then every measure.

Once you get comfy, you can clap on the and's of 4 or something KOOOL like that.

Oh, and one last thing-a-ma-bobber, get to the point where you DON'T COUNT (bold face still screws with my computer...arghy wargh)

After all that--pick up your guitar and start practicing those BH lines.

Call me crazy, but it werks. I'm a nut... maybe a cashew this time of year

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    I would add what Chris '77 said--but I would go a step further (yeah, "mr. what's wrong with the internet"--I'm one upping you )
    Sorry man, don’t have time to get involved in such petty contests. Too busy cutting my next album in a single day. ;-)

User Info Menu

Chris'77

I was taking the piss (did I use that right? My room mate used to say it to me all the time)

Joking around. You raised a good idea, so I added a little of how I understood that concept.

gnome what I mean?

User Info Menu

Chris'77

I was taking the piss (did I use that right? My room mate used to say it to me all the time)

Joking around. You raised a good idea, so I added a little of how I understood that concept.

gnome what I mean?
    I know I was joking too

User Info Menu

That is the correct use of ‘taking the piss’ btw

User Info Menu

yay

Now all I'll have to do is have a million and one conversations about Brexit and I'll truly be British.

Or you could have a million and one conversations about Donny T and you'll officially be American... oh wait... flying babies...

User Info Menu

yay

Now all I'll have to do is have a million and one conversations about Brexit and I'll truly be British.

Or you could have a million and one conversations about Donny T and you'll officially be American... oh wait... flying babies...
    No. We. Don’t. Talk. About. Brexit.

(We have the BBC for that.)

The most British thing is to look a bit nervous and worried, but make small talk about the weather .

User Info Menu

Barry's 4 dim 6 scales (when does he say to use case 3 and 4?)

1. Bb Major : Bb C D Eb F Gb G A
    1. Bb- : Bb C Db F Gb G A
    3. Bb7 : Bb C D Eb F Gb Ab A
    4. Bb7 b5: Bb C D Eb Fb Gb Ab A

I need some help applying Barry's 6th dim block chord scales to different changes. In this example I have listed the changes and then the scales I consider that Barry would teach. Can someone help me or correct me for my solutions for bar 2 , 4 , and 8 ?

"A Time For Love" changes:

|| Bb maj | A-7b5 D7b9 | G-7 | C7 #4 |
    | C-7 | C-/Bb | A-7b5 | D7b9 ||

My block chord scale solutions:

|| Bb maj scale | think Eb-6 or what? | Bb maj scale | G-6 , any other option? |
    | Eb maj scale | Eb maj scale | C-6 scale | Eb-6 scale, any other option? |
    Last edited by rintincop; 06-30-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Barry's 4 dim 6 scales (when does he say to use case 3 and 4?)

1. Bb Major : Bb C D Eb F Gb G A
    1. Bb- : Bb C Db F Gb G A
    3. Bb7 : Bb C D Eb F Gb Ab A4. Bb7 b5: Bb C D Eb Fb Gb Ab A

I need some help applying Barry's 6th dim block chord scales to different changes. In this example I have listed the changes and then the scales I consider that Barry would teach. Can someone help me or correct me for my solutions for bar 2 , 4 , and 8 ?

"A Time For Love" changes:

|| Bb maj | A-7b5 D7b9 | G-7 | C7 #4 |
    | C-7 | C-/Bb | A-7b5 | D7b9 ||

My block chord scale solutions:

|| Bb maj scale | think Eb-6 or what? | Bb maj scale | G-6 , any other option? |
    | Eb maj scale | Eb maj scale | C-6 scale | Eb-6 scale, any other option? |
    unfortunately, i have never found examples of dominant/dim or the dom b5 dim in the educational material.

However the b5 dim scale i have found to be very easy and natural to apply. start by using it as an alternative to the altered application of minor/dim

User Info Menu

I can't remember which episode, but Chris was talking about having never used the dom7dim chord scale and said "let me try it here". Then commenced to use it among other things. His reaction was a big "YEAH". You can tell he liked it.

I have a feeling it's just like any other chord scale, useable in several places. We just have to find where. My first though is as tritone sub just like the single note dominant scale. Maybe as "family" as well?

EDIT: I just watched episode 23 where he looks at the first 4 measures of All The Things You Are. At 12:43, he briefly mentions EbDom7din scale and Eb7b7dim scale as possibilities against Eb7.
    Last edited by Petimar; 06-30-2019 at 04:52 PM.

ill check it out, pete.

I hit 190 in the D shape today..did some sloppy 200 work.

At these tempos they really start sounding like one thing and less “notey” as a teacher once called it

time to switch gear and put chords in the forefront with episode 6. of course we’ve all been practicing these, but this is the month we physically dig in and shed.

My goal is the four scales of chords in drop 2 and drop 3 on 2 string sets each. I will skip the bottom string set for drop 2 as i never really use them, they slow me down, and i like my practice to be as focused as possible.

Speed goal i’ll say 100 bpm quarter notes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    t................................................

....................................... I will skip the bottom string set for drop 2 as i never really use them, they slow me down, and i like my practice to be as focused as possible.

Joe: perhaps try the Drop 2 No Tenor voice on the bottom 4 strings. I find it good for speed and they are an easy grab and I'm lazy.

messing around with the dominant/dim scale i think the key is playing with the families. It’s easy to do since it shares the same diminished.

it sounds cool to go up the scale but play the same inversion each time so you go through the family in order

User Info Menu

What does Barry mean by "the hinge" at the end of his Giant Steps video?

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    What does Barry mean by "the hinge" at the end of his Giant Steps video?
    where in the vid, rintin?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz

Well done! I really enjoyed that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Well done! I really enjoyed that!
    I appreciate it, thank you!