The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Posts 476 to 500 of 618

User Info Menu

Right. Pivoting is part of Barry's ABC. Anyone interested in Barry's system need to be aware of it and practice it.

Here's example of Barry talking about it (talk starts ~minute 12:00, barry suggest how to practice it ~14:30):

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think surrounds (enclosures) target chord tones root, 3rd and 5th most of the time rather than 2 4 or 7. Agree?
    I have attached a .pdf of my revised outline for i vi ii V7 drill.
    An also attached a .pdf of 5432 Phrases in C minor, note the "4" phrase using a chromatic triplet

Cmi.SCALES.pdf
    5432.MINOR.pdf

User Info Menu

Is this in Alan Kingstone's book?

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Let's do this in C. Starting on G(5th string 10th fret) you descend to E(5th str. 7fret), then you play Root(C) one octave above(4th str. 10th fret). And Lastly descend to the six A(4th str. 7th fret)...is this correct?

Is there an example of this somewhere?

thanks for your help guys.

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Is this in Alan Kingstone's book?

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Let's do this in C. Starting on G(5th string 10th fret) you descend to E(5th str. 7fret), then you play Root(C) one octave above(4th str. 10th fret). And Lastly descend to the six A(4th str. 7th fret)...is this correct?

Is there an example of this somewhere?

thanks for your help guys.

edh
    Alan's book is about harmony, not single line improvisation.

BH does not have his own book (at least that I know of). The most complete resource is the Workshop DVD that Howard Reese published. Several other authors (like Roni Ben Hur and "Talk Jazz") have written books teaching or interpreting BH. There are examples of pivoting in both those resources, as well as innumerable YouTubes of Barry Harris including the one Tamilgal already linked to. As Joe said, it is a foundational concept of BH. A little Google and you should have no problem finding examples.

User Info Menu

Please critique the Minor Blues Scales .pdf attached to this post.
    Thanks,
    rintin

Minor.Blues.SCALES.pdf
    Last edited by rintincop; 12-09-2018 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Has anyone hipped Chris (things I learnt from Barry harris guy) to our threads dedicated to the Harris methods?

User Info Menu

Chris' latest videos breaking down Bird phrases are really good. I like the process of learning all melodic ideas on all degrees of the scale. I have done this ocasionally but will do this much more now as I bet it leads to freedom to play any phrase at any time.

Will we ever get a Barry Harris icon at the bottom?????

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Chris' newest 3 videos (#34-36) are all very good talking about how to incorporate everything into lines.

User Info Menu

As I watch, I am mapping out Chris' videos in PDF files, saying what is where on each video (what time in the vid each idea is shown). I have about 2/3 of them done, concentrating on his single note ideas, not the chording stuff right now. If anyone is interested, PM me with your email address.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    "you start a phrase on the 2nd of the dominant, put two half steps till reaching the 7, from there play a major7 arpeggio up, now you'r on the 6th, go down the scale to the third of the dominant, then up the diminished arpeggio...etc, etc", this should be our goal, this is how to connect the ABCs (not so much the scale practice....

Cheers.
    Arpeggios

User Info Menu

I remember pianist Lonnie Smith on Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz radio show playing What Is This Thing Called Love. He would play the first 4 bars each time as:
    || G-7 | C7 | Fmi
    I thought that’s a refreshing sounding change. so that’s another example of major ii V to minor i.

User Info Menu

Speaking of playing a major dominant where you might normally hear a minor/altered dominant:

User Info Menu

The "5 4 3 2 phrases" are great.

How about adding a 6 and 7 and a 1 phrase to the drills?
    I think treat the with the same shape as the 4 phrase.
    Last edited by rintincop; 05-28-2019 at 12:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    The "5 4 3 2 phrases" are great.

How about adding a 6 and 7 and a 1 phrase to the drills?
    I think treat the with the same shape as the 4 phrase.
    Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-screen-shot-2019-05-28-9-27-44-am-png

User Info Menu

Thank you. Are those first 6 beats per Barry Harris or is it of your own invention?
    Last edited by rintincop; 05-29-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Anyone interested in starting this back up? we would be here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Thank you. Are those first 6 beats per Barry Harris or is it of your own invention?
    My own extrapolation from the 5-4-3-2 phrase. I’ve used it for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    I’m in!
    Those examples at the end of the vid are so good. Someone need to transcribe them

Tamir, How long for this video? two weeks or a month? it’s a ton of material— i’d say a month

User Info Menu

Tamir, How long for this video? two weeks or a month? it’s a ton of material— i’d say a month
    Agree. If taking it seriously, it means doing more than one key, with added triplets or moving up and down the scale. Then practicing building lines on ii-V. Lots of material

k cool!

User Info Menu

I'm in. Outline of what is in this video is here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Practicing the half-step rules, repeating twice, per the video, in the positions I have been working on. Good ear openers! Start mixing things up a bit and it starts to sound almost like I can play jazz...especially if, like Barry insists, you play at tempo.

User Info Menu

I transcribed Chris's examples from the end of his video.
    Check it out:
    Episode 5 Half Steps Lines Examples.pdf - Google Drive

Cheers,
    Tamir