The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Posts 451 to 475 of 618

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i messed around and here is my best guess what he would do. disclaimer: i wouldnt call this a barry harris idea since i haven’t seen it.
    D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-B
    I did!! (Like it)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

not sure if it’s harmonic minor, kinda sounds like it, but i’m think Bb7 starting the 3rd to the 3rd of G
    Harmonic major from the 3rd degree.

User Info Menu

as for the thread I gave up on it since i didnt have anyone following along, so it’s free for all now..
    I think it's a great thread. For me, this is the Barry Harris practice group. We can all share our progress with practicing anything related to Barry Harris. I keep practicing my Barry every week, but not necessarily the way Chris put it. Though I'm learning a lot from his videos.
    I'll try to put up some videos this week, hopefully others will put theirs as well, and we can get this group to continue. We don't have to practice the same stuff, but it's useful to see what other folks are doing.

I share the frustration raised by @petimar and @rlhett before, about trying to break out from licks and scale practice. Obviously extending the vocabulary by listening and transcribing, and then practice those patterns, is a big part of the process (which I do *a lot*).

But at the core of Barry's workshop there's the part where he build lines with the horns over some changes. For me, this is the highlight of his videos. His methodical thinking like "you start a phrase on the 2nd of the dominant, put two half steps till reaching the 7, from there play a major7 arpeggio up, now you'r on the 6th, go down the scale to the third of the dominant, then up the diminished arpeggio...etc, etc", this should be our goal, this is how to connect the ABCs (not so much the scale practice, which we end up discussing often when talking about the Barry system, that's important too, but that's not the end goal).
    Currently I think I'm able to build this way strong lines offline, and practice them as licks, etc. I'm still not there trying to do it spontaneously, even in slow tempos... That's where I'm at in my journey.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Harmonic major from the 3rd degree.
    damn im fancy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Please explain the advantage of thinking Bb7 scale when playing G7 b9 rather than seeing the G7 b9 scale in its own right.

My understanding of this is it gets you used to using hte same dominant language you already use on a major ii-V-I on a minor Even the connections (diminished) are similar. The main difference is the set of destination tones.

So your Dm7b5 G7 Cm is closely related to Fm7 Bb7 Eb

The difference is whether is mostly context. Cm on Eb is of course Eb6. If you use an A, you'll imply Cm6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Acording to some facebook pages he’s in russia, and unfortunately was hospitalized for not feeling good. Hope he gets well soon!

I got word that Barry is feeling better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    My understanding of this is it gets you used to using hte same dominant language you already use on a major ii-V-I on a minor Even the connections (diminished) are similar. The main difference is the set of destination tones.

So your Dm7b5 G7 Cm is closely related to Fm7 Bb7 Eb

The difference is whether is mostly context. Cm on Eb is of course Eb6. If you use an A, you'll imply Cm6.
    The so-called "backdoor progression" (Fm7-Bb7-C or iv7-bVII7-I) makes sense when seen from this angle.

User Info Menu

Its the same thing (almost)

In terms of soloing you wouldn’t differentiate between them much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Its the same thing (almost)

In terms of soloing you wouldn’t differentiate between them much
    Particularly when playing over "Cole Porter" ii-V-Is that resolve to the parallel major: Dm7b5-G7b9-C6.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Particularly when playing over "Cole Porter" ii-V-Is that resolve to the parallel major: Dm7b5-G7b9-C6.
    That particular progression - although not the backdoor - belongs to the maj6 dim scale. I remember Barry saying you can always play minor ii-V (unless you are comping for the melody and you have a clash, presumably?)

Interestingly, people seem to have a bit of a bee in their bonnet about the opposite - major ii v into minor

Dm7 G9 Cm6

But this progression is actually pretty common in jazz lines and tunes.

The notes of the chords all belong to the min6-dim

C D Eb F G Ab A B

D F A C
    G B D F A
    C Eb G A

User Info Menu

Minor ii-V resolving to major is something I’ve heard many times in jazz. The first example that come to my mind is all the things you are. I hear Charlie Parker outline it on the bridge, maybe on the A section too.
    Do you have example of the major ii-V going to minor?

User Info Menu

Sure, check out bar 2 of Blues for Alice

If you play Em7b5 there you’ll clash with the head.

In terms of the chords another good example is the middle 8 of invitation

Charlie Christian on anything, but I Found a New Baby

I could go on....

User Info Menu

Thanks. Charlie Christian is not someone I’ve been listening to too much. His on my todo list

shadow of your smile i think?

User Info Menu

Ok. Back to the topic of building lines, and in an attempt to make this thread a practice thread, here goes...

As a collector of Barry’s licks, I thought I’d share couple of those and share how I practice them.
    Here’s one I grabbed from Barry’s solo on ‘You Can Depend on Me’ with Sonny Stitt:

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-barry-harris-line-you-can-depend-me-jpg

Nice and simple line, right? Barry plays a nice relaxed solo on this one. You can listen to the recording here (the line is at 3:00):

So first thing I do is try to analyse the line in Barry’s style (watch the numbers on the notation):

1. Barry start the phrase with the important arpeggio found on the 7th of the dominant. I dare to say that out of Barry’s important arpeggios, this is the most important. Or at least the one I think he plays the most. Anyway, that’s a great arpeggio to focus on when practicing building lines on maj ii-V. Here he start the arpeggio half step below the root.
    2. Next, Barry is on the 6th, put one half step between the 6th and the 5th, then continue down the scale to the third of the dominant. Transcribing bunch of Barry’s solos I can say that he fonds the half step between the 6 and the 5 on a dominant. Though his half step rules usually talk about playing single half step between 1 and 7, at least what I’ve seen is that he equally play them both.
    3. Now he’s on the 3rd of the dominant. He will probably now say “on the third of every dominant found the diminished”. So here he goes down the diminished triad, and enclose it up 2 half steps to resolve to the 5th of C maj. This figure here is what Thomas Owens calls M.5B, and this is one of the most used figures used in bebop (his words, not mine). That’s probably a good thing to practice when hitting the 3rd of the dominant. Obviously any diminished line from the 3rd of the dominant would fit here.
    4. Now he’s on the 5th of the I major. Here he plays his ‘4’ phrase. This one is somewhat related to the M.5B figure. They sound good when played together. Obviously here you can just as well play the ‘5’ phrase, which start and end on the same notes.
    5. Now he’s on the 3rd of the I major. Can you tell what he plays here? To me that’s his ‘3’ phrase, but with added note between the G and the B.

After we understand what Barry is doing, and maybe practiced it on our instrument. A nice exercise is to try to mod and tweak the line while keeping the same structure of the phrase. We can start by first thinking about it offline, then try it spontaneously on the instrument, keep playing the line in loop, but every time change something about it. I think it’s a nice exercise, as we keep frame of the line the same, but add some micro improvisation to it, mostly within Barry’s ABCs. That is either add pivoting, instead of 1 half step put 2 half steps, put in a different diminished line, etc.

Anyone care to join me trying to tweak this line? You can either post a video, or just write it down.

Here’s an example of my attempt at it. There are probably endless of other possibilities:

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-you-can-depend-me-mod-1-jpg

Can you spot what I did there? Is it essentially the same line idea or not?
    If this is gonna be successful, more licks will follow. Also, I'll try to post a video over the weekend.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers

User Info Menu

As promised, a video!

Any Comment, feedback, coffee, welcome...

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Nice work tamirgal...I like this idea ...alot.

Looking at it I see just a descending G6 dim at your #2.
    Last edited by WILSON 1; 11-30-2018 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Wilson.
    Let's walk through #2:

1. I replaced the F maj arpeggio with a pivoted variation of F maj arpeggio (more on that later)
    2. Down the scale from the 6th, stayed the same, but octave lower.
    3. From the 3rd of the dominant, instead of going down the diminished enclosure, I went up the diminished arpeggio, resolving similarly to the 5th of C.
    4. Instead of doing Barry’s ‘4’ phrase, I did the ‘5’ phrase.
    5. ‘3’ phrase stayed the same

Regarding (1) above, to me this figure is basically F major arpeggio (with added G note). See below example:

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-fmaj-arp-variations-jpg

All the above figures are rhythmically similar, all have the sound of F major, and all end on the same note. They are interchangeable, but add variety to our playing.

Below are more of those kind of shapes that can be used where usually you would just put an arpeggio (can be either major or minor):

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-triads-jpg

I think these are important enough so I gave them names , I’ve heard Barry play all of those shapes, but T1,T2 and T4 are the ones I think he uses the most. T4 he will either play like that, or pivot it.
    I you look closely at the '3' phrase (with that added note) that Barry play at the end of the original lick, this is basically a pivoted T4 minor arpeggio from the third of I major.

BTW, in my video I played another variation of the original line, check it out (the last take)

Cheers,
    Tamir

User Info Menu

Am I correct in assuming that the 54321 phrases usually happen on the tonic chords and not on the Dominants much?

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    Am I correct in assuming that the 54321 phrases usually happen on the tonic chords and not on the Dominants much?

no, i think in the dvd he teaches them on the dominant first. we should practice equally on minor major and dom, though i have to confess i have practiced dominant the most. also jote there really are just small adjustments between them

User Info Menu

5 and 4 work nicely on dominant. They land you on the 3rd of the dominant, from there you can play a diminished line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    5 and 4 work nicely on dominant. They land you on the 3rd of the dominant, from there you can play a diminished line.
    When you say dominant line, I assume arpeggio? Or something else? Just interested...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    When you say dominant line, I assume arpeggio? Or something else? Just interested...
    Something to bring out the diminished. Probably arpeggio, but might be something else.

Some examples here (these are resolving to minor chord, but you get the idea):
    Diminished Resolution.pdf - Google Drive

User Info Menu

Tamirgal, Can you tell me what you mean by pivoting?

Thanks edh

User Info Menu

I believe tamirgal is referring to the concept of descending/ascending a scale or arpeggio and at some point before finishing hoping an octave. For example, a chord that starts on the 5-3-root(one octave higher)-6 thus ending actual above your starting point despite descending. In theory you could descend or ascend a scale/arpeggio indefinitely without running out of register on your instrument.

It is apparently something Barry Harris teaches a lot and is all over the workshop DVD's, YouTube, etc., as well as method books that are based on BH.