The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Posts 426 to 450 of 618
    not sure if it’s harmonic minor, kinda sounds like it, but i’m think Bb7 starting the 3rd to the 3rd of G

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's odd that it is never shown. It's seems quite a basic concept, how to ascend the dominant scale for |D-7b5 | G7b9 | ascend continuously for 2 octaves...
    I think it should be C harmonic minor, starting on G root . The bebop scale form would add a F# to keep the G7 chord tones on the downbeats.

User Info Menu

Please consider this ascending descending scale form attached. I think it follows Barry Harris reasoning and the chord tones are all on the strong beats.

Cmi.ScALES.2various.pdf

it’s all fine and good, but don’t call it a Barry Harris concept when it’s not. call it the rintin approach. Barry would shoot daggers at you if you said “5th mode of harmonic minor.” just sayin.

you can do anything you want, but i would be bummed to see a beginner get mixed up with it.

They are fine ideas

User Info Menu

How does Barry Harris scale ascend | D-7b5 | G7b9 | ?

User Info Menu

Just do it how Barry says.

There’s a reason for everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    didn’t Chris cover this in the episode about scales on first 2 chords of ‘what is this thing called love’?

In your example it would be Bb7 up to its 7 then down to end on a B (the third of G).

He covers it in the beginning here:

User Info Menu

If you wanted to do that continuously ascending, I suppose you could keep going up on the Bb7, i.e. up through Bb, B, C, D, Eb, F.

That would preserve the notes but in reverse. Not sure it’s really Barry’s way though, I’m not the expert but I thought the whole idea was to map these scales to the chords in one-octave chunks.

User Info Menu

Thanks

So, ascending for a single measure of |D-7b5 G7b9 | would be spelled with what individual notes?

I am trying to get his ascending default scale for |G7b9 | and for |D-7b5 G7b9| (two beats per chord now)

User Info Menu

I get the descending form, but the short form (one measure only) ascending is unclear.
    Look at the second example here, ascending for one measure

Per BH ?

Cmi.ScALES.3various.pdf

User Info Menu

I get the descending form, but the short form (one measure only) ascending is unclear.
    Look at the second example here, ascending for one measure

Per BH ?

Cmi.ScALES.3various.pdf
    Gotcha. Think it go either way. I'd probably play (on Dm7b5 G7b9) B C D Eb F Gb Ab

But, it's just scale outlines. Usually we'd descend. It's not really something that comes up that much in my practice.

nobody liked my idea?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Gotcha. Think it go either way. I'd probably play (on Dm7b5 G7b9) B C D Eb F Gb Ab

But, it's just scale outlines. Usually we'd descend. It's not really something that comes up that much in my practice.
    More common to ascend on arpeggio or chord, descend on scale

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    nobody liked my idea?
    it’s the badger’s nadgers.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    it’s the badger’s nadgers.
    oi graham’s a cushty geeza i don’t care what they say about im

User Info Menu

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-394393a2-ac4a-48f9-b787-8d63846caf59-jpg

User Info Menu

As Joe intimated.

Bb7 up to the seventh back down to the 3rd of G7.

That's for a 2 bar phrase.

For a 1 bar phrase

Bb7 down from the 7th to the 3rd of G7.

-------

As per WILSON etal:

Barry doesn't believe in the TWO when creating lines (just the Dominant Scale) but uses the TWO very much harmonically.

User Info Menu

G7b9 in the key of C minor

Going down:
    Ab G F Eb D C B (from the b9 to the 3rd, think Bb7)

Going up
    B C D Eb F G Ab (from the 3rd, ascending form of above descending form)

(from the root to 7th) G Ab B C D Eb F (= V mode of harmonic minor of C)

User Info Menu

I like that thinking!

Barry's rhythm:

2 Bar Phrase - Bb7 up to 7th, down to 3rd of G7

1&2&3&4&1&2&3 (perhaps up the diminished and resolve)

1 Bar Phrase - Bb7 - 7th down to 3rd of G7

1&2&3&4 (perhaps up the diminished (triplet?) and resolve)

User Info Menu

Please explain the advantage of thinking Bb7 scale when playing G7 b9 rather than seeing the G7 b9 scale in its own right.

User Info Menu

Please explain the advantage of thinking Bb7 when playing G7 b9 rather than seeing the G7 b9 scale in its own right.

I'll do my best to recall what Barry says.

The original progression is Dm7b5 / G7.

Where is Dm7b5 found? Key of Eb. We think in terms of SEVENTH CHORDS : DOMINANTS.

Dominant of Eb - Bb7

So for Dm7b5 we play Bb7

The Chord G7 is represented by its THIRD, B.

Proceed with the 7,065,432 variations (diminished is one I like / Your scales will work here) from the 3rd of the dominant to resolve (likely) Cm (maybe) C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    More common to ascend on arpeggio or chord, descend on scale
    BH has us practice V7 ascending from Root to 7th and descending from 7th to Root when the key is Major.
    Why does he not show it ascending and descending from the Root on V7b9 in minor keys? He seems to leave a gap there... I'm pretty sure he would play 5th mode of harmonic minor if he was pushed to explain Root to 7th on G7b9.

User Info Menu

You can see Parker playing exactly what BH suggest on the E-7b5 A7 bars:

Things I learned from Barry Harris Study Group-1-312a153ef9-jpg

User Info Menu

Why does he not show it ascending and descending from the Root on V7b9 in minor keys? He seems to leave a gap there... I'm pretty sure he would play 5th mode of harmonic minor if he was pushed to explain Root to 7th on G7b9.

The great thing is we can still inquire.

New York this Tuesday (unless he's in Italy already).
    Last edited by A. Kingstone; 11-28-2018 at 11:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    The great thing is we can still inquire.

New York this Tuesday (unless he's in Italy already).
    Acording to some facebook pages he’s in russia, and unfortunately was hospitalized for not feeling good. Hope he gets well soon!

Here’s the text I’ve seen on FB yesterday:

Code:
     Tuesday, November 27, 2018
    Legendary Bebop Pianist Barry Harris Hospitalized in Moscow
    Legendary bebop pianist Barry Haris, 88, was hospitalized in Moscow, Russia, Sunday early morning. On Monday, November 26, he was out of ICU, but the excellent doctors at the Nikolay Pirogov First City Hospital in Moscow said he should remain in hospital for a few more days before he can fly back to the U.S. Maestro Harris' Jazz Workshop in Rostov, Russia, scheduled for November 26-30, was canceled. Jazz.Ru Magazine is keeping track of the situation. The latest from the 1st CH's Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Alexei Svet, member of the American College of Cardiology, is that their patient is stable but requires treatment before his flight home.