The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Posts 326 to 350 of 618
    right so anyway, some pretty great playing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Snob.

Ok, to be fair. I didn’t like the tone either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I assumed he was kidding... Kinda... :-)

User Info Menu

What makes you think I am joking? He was a good tele man. Now he's just a disgrace.

User Info Menu

Tele vs Strat. So much animosity between what essentially two hillbilly country instruments that want to be amplified banjos. Chuncks of cheap lumber with some pickups slapped on.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 11-14-2018 at 10:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What makes you think I am joking? He was a good tele man. Now he's just a disgrace.
    Monday blues?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Monday blues?
    Everyday more and more people turn their backs on the Tele and embrace the Strat. Where will it all end?

Remember - no one looks good playing a strat apart from Jimi.

And Nile.

User Info Menu

It takes me four month to make an arch top. These I made in less than a week.

Just slabs with pickups. Pick your poison. That said, I do tend to gab that Tele on the right more than any other when I’m playing out with friends.

User Info Menu

Everyday more and more people turn their backs on the Tele and embrace the Strat. Where will it all end?

Remember - no one looks good playing a strat apart from Jimi.

And Nile.
    Preference for functionality over looks?
    Ha ha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Preference for functionality over looks?
    Ha ha.
    Also they are horrid sproingy things.

well folks, hopefully this has been useful for a few people.

Doesn’t make much sense for me to structure my practice like this if it’s just me, so i’ll move on to a more fluid routine for a while. If anyone is inclined to take over please go for it. i’ll pop in if it goes on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    | Fmaj7 | F#dim7 | G-7 | G#dim 7 |
    | A-7 | C-7 F7 | Bbmaj7 | Eb7 |
    | F | D7 | G-7 | C 7 ||
    Ok, Easy Living. Interesting example as I'd still think G#dim7 whether the resolving chord was an Am7 or Fmaj7 (or rather Fdim7 moving to its parallel Fmaj7 in the latter case). We normally wouldn't consider that diminished to be acting as a dominant if the resolution was to Fmaj7. Yet if we reverse the usual situation and think of the Fmajor chord (I) as a sub for Am7 (iii), its dominant quality becomes more obvious.

Like Christian, I would normally choose I rather than iii here (think It Could Happen To You) although the B natural in the melody at that point in Easy Living arguably suggests an Am9 more readily than an Fmaj7 with a b5 (admittedly, it does resolve to the nat5 of F via an enclosure). A common voicing that hedges it bets would be Fma9/A (or if you want to put a cat among the pigeons, Am7#5).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    The idea that Barry Harris scales and lines for practice purposes always mechanically start with the Root is absolutely not true.

in the first place, the half step rules apply when the scale DESCENDS from various intervals, not just the Tonic, .

and then we always have stuff like Eb7 from the 7 down to the 3rd of C7. That’s always everywhere in his direction. Anybody who’s watched even a fraction of his 8 DVDs knows this.

3rd —one of the most important things he hammers away is the idea of PIVOTING.

4th—the 5432 rules, with wider intervals, are designed to break out of conventional scalar thinking.
    What does his pivoting mean?

My guess is the term describes his Major 6 Diminished scale harmony motion : you're using the 2 4 b6 7 diminished positions (passing tones harmonized as dim 7ths) to pivot back into the Major 6 chord.

User Info Menu

No. Pivoting refers to a line, not harmony. You start an arpeggio up you would somewhere in the middle drop an octave and continue the arpeggio up. For example, if you are arpeggiating a chord starting on the third you would go up to the fifth, then drop an octave (relative to the seventh, a sixth relative to the fifth) to the seventh ending up on the root. Can be up or down, after the first interval, or second, starting on any scale degree, etc.

I’m sure the real BH experts can give even more nuance.

User Info Menu

Rtincop will not rest until we have explained to him the entirety of the Barry Harris approach, for free :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    No. Pivoting refers to a line, not harmony. You start an arpeggio up you would somewhere in the middle drop an octave and continue the arpeggio up. For example, if you are arpeggiating a chord starting on the third you would go up to the fifth, then drop an octave (relative to the seventh, a sixth relative to the fifth) to the seventh ending up on the root. Can be up or down, after the first interval, or second, starting on any scale degree, etc.

I’m sure the real BH experts can give even more nuance.

my favorite is pivoting on scale runs, as opposed to a chord or triad, to incorporate 7th interval leaps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    my favorite is pivoting on scale runs, as opposed to a chord or triad, to incorporate 7th interval leaps
    Got an example?

User Info Menu

How about bars 29 to 31 of the Bach Cello Prelude 1?

Bach does this a lot. Makes his vocal parts challenging to sing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    Got an example?
    it's in the workbook

User Info Menu

it's in the workbook
    I don't own any of them sadly

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    I don't own any of them sadly
    you just go up a 7th where you would go down a second, or down a 7th where you would go up a 2nd

User Info Menu

you just go up a 7th where you would go down a second, or down a 7th where you would go up a 2nd
    Ohhh I think he talks about this on one of his videos on youtube

i think so too, the one where he's like you should be able to play through rhythm changes from one end of the keyboard to the other, but you can do it no matter how small the range is on your instrument by pivoting

User Info Menu

It's a way to make a scale go on for longer. The scales WILL NEVER STOP. EVER.

It's a way to make a scale go on for longer.
    natural scale enhancement

User Info Menu

It's still going.