The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 618

User Info Menu

Yes. Grant Green has this lick all over the place. It’s all over the albums with Sonny Clark, and others as well. Doesn’t matter if its minor or major 2-5, he has it under his fingers. Personally i never have enough when he does it. When it swings it swings.

I assume he copied it from charlie parker.

Which solo exactly are you talking about? Is it what is this thing called love?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Um, the one I posted?

User Info Menu

Ahh. Oops. The video didn’t came up on my tapatalk.
    Love that album!

User Info Menu

OK, I don't want to spam a load of my videos on this thread, but it relates to a conversation above - dim connections. Running through a few variations. Real practice so you get to see me stop and think if that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Um, the one I posted?
    I think I counted at least 12 instances of that lick! It’s no longer a lick its a theme..
    Last edited by tamirgal; 09-19-2018 at 03:57 PM.

User Info Menu

OK, I don't want to spam a load of my videos on this thread, but it relates to a conversation above - dim connections. Running through a few variations. Real practice so you get to see me stop and think if that helps.

Nice. Love the sound of your guitar there. Bright and punchy.

User Info Menu

OK, I don't want to spam a load of my videos on this thread, but it relates to a conversation above - dim connections. Running through a few variations.
    i personally like to see videos like this when it pertains to the material being talked about. Thanks Christian, was cool to hear examples and how you systematically went through all of these and found ones you liked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Here's a line Barry played on Hot House:

Attachment 56049

On the Dm7b5 he plays a Bb7 line - start on the 6th of Bb7, put 1 half step to reach the 5th, and from there down the important minor arpeggio.
    Then on the G7 he continue the Bb7 line, from the 4th of Bb7 down the scale till reaching the 3rd of G7, and from there a diminished enclosure resolving to the 5th of C. Then he continues by playing his "4" and then his "3" phrase.

Playing that 4 phrase right after that diminished enclosure resolving to the 5th of the I is something he seem to do often, both are common bebop enclosures.
    How long it takes/ took you to get this lick under fingers at some reasonable tempo, l160 bpm for example, with your own natural accents and phrasing?
    While doing it, do you have theory and physical aspect together, as one, do you apply "important minor arpeggio", "4", "3",... directly to fretboard, or you have one intermediate step of translating it to some standard set of positions and fingerings'?
    To put it another way, are you finding "BH" devices within standard fingerings, or you are developing custom fretboard maps to suit "BH speak"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    Chris has done a great job organizing the material, and i am also going to take a few liberties in terms of the study group (hey, no one else volunteerd!)

so, i am officially adding Chris’ lesson #6 for long term study. That means it is such a large undertaking that i personally think we should all practice it everyday. I know all these patterns by now, but playing them at real tempos is challenging, plus some of the grips have stretches.

4 scales of chords, drop 2 has 3 string sets, drop 3 has 2 string sets, drop 2&4 has 2 string sets (everyone seems to agree these should be a secondary priority, but they can be VERY nice for solo guitar arrangements).

The original assigment hasn’t changed but this is added and will be there for the duration of the group or until you can play them like Pasquale Grasso.

I don’t know how many people are doing this as a study group, but I was thinking you may want to speed up the assignments. Two weeks of blues and RC is probably enough to understand the concepts and incorporate the ideas into our practice.

This video certainly deserves its own time. Chris seems to follow the structure of the Howard Rees Workshop DVDs. I like the idea of following them linearly without too much jumping around. Although I acknowledge that many people have probably lost interest in the original two videos.

Speeding things up a little will also help keep the group more focused.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    I don’t know how many people are doing this as a study group, but I was thinking you may want to speed up the assignments. Two weeks of blues and RC is probably enough to understand the concepts and incorporate the ideas into our practice.

This video certainly deserves its own time. Chris seems to follow the structure of the Howard Rees Workshop DVDs. I like the idea of following them linearly without too much jumping around. Although I acknowledge that many people have probably lost interest in the original two videos.

Speeding things up a little will also help keep the group more focused.

What do you think?

Good point Rhett. For m personally at this point in my study, I already understood everything in his videos before we started. My goal was to drill it in (doing that practice, not learning it to practice later), and that can get stale...but that's what works for me. I can play all the scales of chords, learned the single note rules, the ABCs, 54332.... now I'm at the point where I need to buckle down and do the work, so it takes longer to completely absorb this stuff (and at Barry Harris tempos) than it takes to understand it.

Anyone want to break the tie?

as for the off-topic ness, nothing to really do about that...probably jsut got confusing/annoying with like 4 BH threads. I've been posting after each practice session, though

User Info Menu

And awaaaaaaaaay we go

Tired and messy and out of practice all that jazz.

that's what im talkin about!

Alrighty, today was:

SCALES: rhythm changes and blues in G in 4th-ish position, higher register and lower register of the position. 100 bpm-180 clean. 190 sloppy.

but THEN, i switched to upper register only and did scales by themselves with extra rest in between 190-220 (220 was basically a no-go) however, when I dropped it back down I was scraping by through the outlines at 200!

Chords: Eb maj 6/dim, Eb min 6/dim, and Eb7/dim in drop 3 from lowest up an octave to roughly the highest. 100 bpm quarter notes

User Info Menu

Tried a chorus on rhythm changes trying to stick to the outline and add some Barry Harris stuff. Getting back into the practice! Yay!

keep ‘em coming osmond. it’s good for people on here to see examples of what all this stuff is leading to (and you’re better than me).

unless anyone else speaks up and agrees with rhett that we should move on, we still have almost 3 more weeks.

don’t forget we doing chord scales too

User Info Menu

I think the month should stay devoted to this topic. If you feel like you have it down, see Christian's recommendations for other ways to practice the material.

i agree (obviously). somewhere BH said something like “someone came up to me and said they were bored of practicing the major scale; that person was a FOOL” there’s endless ways to practice the stuff

User Info Menu

keep ‘em coming osmond. it’s good for people on here to see examples of what all this stuff is leading to (and you’re better than me).
    Duuuude you should post a video too recording yourself is a great way to hear if you're heading in the right direction. And it will be good for everyone else too to see if they can hear things they notice from the BH approach. Stuff like 5432 or Tri tones or other movements. We will also get to hear how people use them in their own context.

User Info Menu

To be clear, I don't think a month isn't enough to "have it down". It will take a lifetime. If you believe in the system BH teaches, I don't think you ever "stop" running the scales, do you? The point is about the pacing of the study group, not about what it takes to master your instrument. It's about learning to practice in Barry Harris' method, not practicing for the benefit of the group. Or at least that is what makes sense to me.

Perhaps I misunderstood the Study Group. I thought the purpose was to bring people new to Barry Harris into the system and work through how you would incorporate the ideas that Chris outlines in his videos into actual practice routines. Chris' videos and Howard Reese's DVD's are great resources. But I find at least that a study group is a great way to bridge the gap between what you get in a book and actually putting it into your hands. That is why I suggested moving the thread to "Getting Started".

I would think that people who have attended actual Barry Harris workshops and already incorporate this practice into their routine won't get much out of a study group. I assume they already know how to do this and do it everyday. After all, there already is an "Official Barry Harris" thread where people can share more advanced understandings unrelated to the actual assignment of the first two of Cris' videos. I assumed this thread was specifically for learning how to apply the concepts Chris present to our practice. No?

that's cool, it was Matt's idea after all. Whatever you guys want to do, but that takes the interest out of it for me-- I'll just retire to the wood shed

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

that's cool, it was Matt's idea after all. Whatever you guys want to do, but that takes the interest out of it for me-- I'll just retire to the wood shed
    You're the OP. This is your thread. Why don't you tell us what you want this study group to be? What is it you want to get out of the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    You're the OP. This is your thread. Why don't you tell us what you want this study group to be? What is it you want to get out of the thread?
    I'm sorry. I'll own my part of that. I'm pretty busy, but I've recorded a couple of things. When I get a chance I'll upload. Joe has taken a lot of time to record stuff over the last several months. Don't shoot the OP! :-)

User Info Menu

Please don’t read snark into any of my comments. I know, I know... this is the internet. Everybody is always upset about everything. :-( But I really am just dialoging as straight as possible. I’ve started a study group too, and know how hard it is to keep on track and moving forward.

I honestly mean for Joe to set up some guidance. I said what I thought this was about and he responded that he had no interest in that kind of study group. Frankly I was surprised at his response. I’m not sure what he is looking for, and I sure don’t want to hijack his thread, so I asked.

It is for beginners, just not only for beginners.

I think the best way to practice is to set specific goals and work toward them. For instance, mine is to play both these outlines at 200 bpm up and down the fret board and any register without too much effort. I will probably fall short of that by the end, therefore a month doesn't seem overly long.

Everyone's goal should be specific to them. If someone is reading this and has been playing guitar for 6 months, playing both outlines at a slow tempo in one position could take a month. That could possibly be a good goal for them.

Christian, for example on the opposite end, can play this shit easily. if he was so inclined he could still challenge himself with a month long goal. Quicker tempos, different positions, endurance, playing them "backwards," pivoting, etc...

He would probably add it as a warm up or something before his real practice. as where our 6 month beginner may spend 75% of their practice on this.

So, the spirit of the thread should be: in one month, what would you like to achieve with this specific chunk of material? If someone says "I want to understand it and run through a few times to make sure it clicks," that's perfectly fine, but they'd achieve that goal long before the month is up.

The momentum of the thread should come from the participants posting about progress and challenges in their attempt to achieve their goals, or new goals if they achieve their first ones early. Then we all support each other; practicing can be lonely if you don't know a single person in real life who understands the challenge.

As musicians we are primarily practicers, not primarily learners. So, in my opinion we don't need more material faster to keep things fresh, we need more goals set and accomplished